Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sweet Victoria

mrm

So, before I started my Family Deuce project, I needed some sort of startup project to get me into building again. The original idea was to build a fenderless Vicky in very modern style, without going crazy with it. I wasn't sure if I had a Vicky body and looked in the boxes I had put away. That's how I found the Four Door body for the Family Deuce. I didn't find a Vicky body, but I ordered one from JF. 

I received it the other day and got on it, as that was my original plan before the Family Deuce project. The chassis is going to be mostly AMT's Phantom Vicky, possibly with a different rear end. The frame horns have been cut off. The body has been slightly channeled on the front, which dropped the grille lower. The side hoods are from the Revel's '32 Roadster, with the top hood from the Phantom Vicky. The door panels would have to be highly modified or scratch build. The floor and seats would most likely stay from the AMT kit also. The dash will come from Revell's '32 Five Window. The engine will be the big block Ford from the Foose F100, but with the manual transmission from the Vicky kit. There is a good chance the rear end to come from the Foose kit also. That is if I don't go with the IRS from the Foose Caddy. Wheels and tires are not decided yet, but the ones on the picture are have a very good chance staying with the project. 

CixJa9.jpg

Stay tuned and thanks for watching. 

Edited by mrm

Tom and Alan, thank you both.

First thing to do was to sand the inside of the body, so the rear inner fenders from the Phantom Vicky fit. I superglued them in a way to correspond with the Vicky frame. Now the tabs fit perfectly into the frame. 

m82vOB.jpg

Next he bottom of the rear was extended 

UQBpA1.jpg

The side hoods from the original Revell '32 Roadster were extended, glued both to the body and to the grille and then modified on the bottom to fit flush over the frame. 

eHzBBS.jpg

The story with the top hood was not as simple. Because the hoods were extended, the top hood no longer followed the side ones. So I had to pie-cut it in the middle, glue it and then extend it.

TQQv7U.jpg

Now the body fits like I want it over the frame all around.

2P7EOx.jpg

EGBttL.jpg

Altho everything lines up pretty well, not all curvatures match. So everything was put together and then puttied as one.

bj7LKA.jpg

Stay tuned and thanks for looking.

Edited by mrm

Thank you Oliver.

I w ant to use the big block Roush Ford from the Foose kit, but it is not going to be easy to shoehorn t between the front hoods. This is why they were stretched a little. 

On the engine I had to cut the belt part from the alternator and power steering pulleys, modify their brackets and bring them more "inboard". Otherwise they did no fit within the side hoods.

wbg6ld.jpg

On the back end of the engine was mated the manual transmission from the Phantom Vicky. This allows me to bring the engine another couple mm back in order to fit within the hoods and also for everything to fit under the floor that comes with the Vicky kit. Square plastic rod has been fitted and left long to mock up engine mounts. 

9fs5hq.jpg

When mocking things up, I noticed two things. First, if I use the wheel/tire combo I like, the frame is going higher from the ground than I like. Second the engine oil pan (which also came from the Vicky) is hanging bellow the frame quite a bit, which looks weird to me from the side. The exhaust manifolds are hanging even lower. It almost looks like the frame is disappearing into the body too much.

My solution is to actually modify the frame rails, by simply extending their bottom edge, for a complete custom look.

OZ7tj6.jpg

While the frame rails glue is curing, I filled the dash for a smooth look

DKFXlI.jpg

This is the steering wheel and dash insert I chose for my Sweet Victoria. She gonna be pretty with lots of bling. 

8xuvc7.jpg

Stay tuned and thanks for looking 

After a lot of sanding, grey primer was sprayed, followed by some minor putty and a lot more sanding....... Then a coat of Tamiya fine white primer. 

My Sweet Victoria is almost ready for color. Just a little more sanding......mainly around the windows.

Buo18E.jpg

Edited by mrm

I saw this cool Vicky in a magazine that had a rad hood with louvers underneath it. I thought this would be the perfect way to hide the surgery under my hood. 

So I got two Revell '32 5 window side hoods and cut them up to create a symmetrical piece. At this time I learned that the side hoods with louvers of Revell's 5 window and roadster kits are different. 

D4VZ5f.jpg

Some trimming and we have a rather cool underside 

PlfOoe.jpg

6bPMI6.jpg

On 10/22/2019 at 9:42 PM, lghtngyello03 said:

? this is going to be a great build. Super clean so far, can’t wait to see how it goes!

Thank you.

Still debating on color, but most likely it is going to be orange pearl. The main holdback is that I want it to have an independent rear suspension and still have not figured it out yet. 

So today I spent more time on engine mounts that I have on any other model before. I made really nice "sculpted" engine mounts on the motor and nice corresponding stanchions on the frame. Then I drilled them, so I can have locator pins installed and top them off with bolt detail. which on this particular model would be impossible to see, once assembled. But I know they're there. LOL

m11dlt.jpg

23etAH.jpg

2teEbF.jpg

The motor now sits exactly where I need it to and looks good doing it. LOL.

OekC0T.jpg

It is a very tight fit between the hoods, but amazingly it fits without even rubbing into anything. Of course it would have not been possible if I did not move the power steering and alternator pulleys more inboard.

xODYMe.jpg

Here you can see where the frame has been extended on the bottom. It follows the body lines perfectly and when everything is painted it would show the same under the body, as if it wasn't channeled at all. It will also hide the anging oil pan and headers much nicer. 

nG0R39.jpg

While raiding the few boxes with parts that have not been packed away, I found two old projects that are very near-finished. (I will revive and finish them too) One of them is my good old model T Phaeton. It's chassis finished, I looked at it and remembered that I have another brand new kit of it and I knew where it is.

kG0XIp.jpg

So I measured few things and since I am absolutely in love with that Jag rear end, I decided that this is going to be my solution for my Sweet Victoria. For starters U transplanted the main crossmember I need to the new frame. 

63Nx43.jpg

Figuring out the position and determining the right hight for the perfect stance was no small task. I still don't know how perfect I got it, but I hope I'm on the money. We'll find out soon. For now everything needs to cure, so I can file, putty and smooth everything for paint. 

WUOwI9.jpg

Meanwhile I started working on scratchbuilding new interior panels. Long way to go on these. And then I'll be making a new headliner. 

m1EsfV.jpg

Stay tuned and thanks for looking. 

On 10/27/2019 at 7:52 PM, larry ray said:

Nice work. On the front of NSRA 2019 Yearbook is your car a  different color.

Thank you Larry.

I tried to google that but with no results. Can you upload a picture? I am curious. 

On 10/28/2019 at 4:33 AM, Modlbldr said:

That looks great! All of your hard work is paying off. Keep it up.

Later-

Thank you Tom.

I have done some more work on the frame, but did not take any pictures. I am doing four or five projects in the same time and it's hard to keep track. The Vicky is the only one that still needs paint and that frame is what is holding me back. 

On 10/28/2019 at 5:46 PM, bisc63 said:

Shaping up beautifully! Tight squeeze on that engine, just as it should be!

Thank you Rusty.

Tight squeeze fit is never a bad thing. LOL

Really nice fabrication work, You're approach to a symmetrical louver pattern for the hood is so simple and, now that I've seen it,  so self evident. I'll be looking forward to the completed hood. It would make an ideal solution for a well-proportioned top side louver set. Oh for a proper resin copy..., LOL.

In any case, the Flintstone body caught me by surprise. I had always assumed it was an AMT re-pop but it appears that it's design to fit either the Phantom Vicky chassis and/or perhaps the Revell series (judging from the work you're doing). How is the overall quality, and what have you determined it's designed to fit?

Looking forward to seeing more, more, more...!!!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Larry, Chris and Bernard, thank you guys.

I did just a little more on the Victoria's frame, as my kid had a hockey tournament the whole weekend and I did not get much bench time. 

Made just a couple reinforcements to the rear of the frame at some key points. Where the e-brakes will attach to the new crossbar and where the rear shocks will mount.

ELmSFm.jpg

1kYTpV.jpg

And a quick mock up of what the rear end will look like.

AdWdyY.jpg

iXGEcj.jpg

I still need to need to make mounting plates for the rods that are inboard and drill mounting holes for the upper outboard rods. I hope to do this tomorrow,  sand, prime and maybe even lay some color finally.

C6LIkd.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned. 

5 hours ago, mrm said:

Larry, Chris and Bernard, thank you guys.

I did just a little more on the Victoria's frame, as my kid had a hockey tournament the whole weekend and I did not get much bench time. 

Made just a couple reinforcements to the rear of the frame at some key points. Where the e-brakes will attach to the new crossbar and where the rear shocks will mount.

ELmSFm.jpg

1kYTpV.jpg

And a quick mock up of what the rear end will look like.

AdWdyY.jpg

iXGEcj.jpg

I still need to need to make mounting plates for the rods that are inboard and drill mounting holes for the upper outboard rods. I hope to do this tomorrow,  sand, prime and maybe even lay some color finally.

C6LIkd.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned. 

Hi!

Fantastic project! Just to be certain: this JAG IRS is the one from the Buttera series of derivative kits, correct? Seems very detailed...

CT

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Fantastic project! Just to be certain: this JAG IRS is the one from the Buttera series of derivative kits, correct? Seems very detailed...

CT

Yes, that is correct.