Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 Yatming Signature Series 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire

Junkman

This is a nice replica of a somewhat overlooked car, I think the '61 is more recognised. I bought a few as I want to remove the roof for a convertible version since I used to own one. There are some inaccuracies, mostly on the chassis. The big one is the single exhaust, duels were standard on Starfire's for their entire production run through the 60's otherwise it's somewhat simplified. Under the hood the valve covers and air cleaner should be chrome, not black. The "Starfire 394" was Oldsmobile's performance motor for '62 (4bbl, higher compression, slightly different cam profile, duel exhaust, etc...) and could be ordered as an option on some other models, always had the dress up parts if you chose that motor option. 

One item I liked was the correct lower dash for the air-conditioning option, some diecast companies get this wrong on certain cars where there is a difference between interiors.

I had to pick up a Motormax '53 Skylark to rob the wire wheels as that what I had on mine but they're not that nice unfortunately they're only one's I've found in 1/18.

Edited by Phirewriter

The Anson/AutoWorld '53 Eldorado has nice wire wheels, whether they can be used on your project I know not, though.
Also the Maisto Chrysler 300 B, but I guess they would be all wrong for a GM car.

I hope you'll show us your ragtop once you've finished it.

Kelsey Hayes usually gets credit for supplying wire wheels to Chrysler, and, like many myths, this one is hard to extinguish.
Chrysler wires were furnished by a company called Motor Rim in Detroit until 1956. They also delivered very similar wheels to Packard.

Thanks for the information, the Buick wheels were unique to that model, not sure of the manufacturer. The Kelsey wheels seen on Chryslers and other makes have a larger center cap with the lug nuts underneath. Unfortunately I won't be getting to that project for a while, many others to finish before starting something new plus I'm starting to pack stuff for a possible move soon. 

Mopars.
Don't.
Have.
Kelsey.
Wheels.

Although, the (non-Kelsey) wires on the Maisto Chrysler are indeed nice.
Bburago used a plethora of generic wire wheels on various stuff. If anything from them has suitable ones, that would be a cheap source indeed.

20 hours ago, Junkman said:

Mopars.
Don't.
Have.
Kelsey.
Wheels.

Although, the (non-Kelsey) wires on the Maisto Chrysler are indeed nice.
Bburago used a plethora of generic wire wheels on various stuff. If anything from them has suitable ones, that would be a cheap source indeed.

lol>   

Now I can laugh about it, too. But it was no laughing matter when I searched for a set for my '56 Imperial back in the day.
There was no Wheel Vintiques add to cart button back then. Heck, there wasn't even an internet. There were flights to the USA that cost the equivalent of taxing a 5.8 litre car for a year and some confused faces at the Pan Am counter when I tried to check them in at O'Hare. I bet they were convinced I'm some Yerpeen village idiot. Well, I resemble that description, now that I think about it.

Edited by Junkman