Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '67 Cyclone Funny Car

TooOld

I sold one of these kits 5-6 years ago and regretted it ever since , so a couple of years ago I started searching and ended up with two of them !  I built all of these AMT Funny Car kits back in the late 60's and as a kid I thought they were great , so this is definitely a "Nostalgia" build .  Even with the recent reissue there's something about building 50 year old plastic .

Built right out of the box (including the plastic tires) except for a MAD distributor and some decals I still think it's a cool looking kit . And I had fun building it , brought back lots of memories ! :)

Here's what I started with . I bought the Dyno Don decals on ebay a few months ago but decided not to build another Eliminator II .  

Paint is Model Master Hugger Orange Lacquer and the glass was tinted with Tamiya Clear Orange .

Here's the finished engine and chassis .

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Very nice, very cool! That's probably about as well as this model can be built out of the box. Well done and model on! B)

Thanks much Snake !  Other than building it out of the box there's not a whole lot that can be done to it .  To fix everything that's wrong with it you need to box it up and start over with different parts , like I did with my Eliminator II build . :)

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

Bob, that is a very neat, clean build. I like it very much !  Nice job.

Thanks much Ray !

23 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Nicely done!

Thanks Larry !

22 hours ago, Sledsel said:

That looks great! I have one to restore and a new MK and am looking forward to the new release.

Thanks Andy !  The new reissue is out now . :)

On 10/16/2019 at 5:21 PM, Hmann68 said:

Cool looking build! Nice work ??

Thanks !

On 10/16/2019 at 5:28 PM, alexis said:

Man, That is a Sharp Build. Between you and HPI Guy, now I have to get one of these.

Thanks Alan !  I just ordered one of the reissues too ! :)

On 10/16/2019 at 8:55 PM, Deuces said:

??

:)

On 10/17/2019 at 12:06 PM, restoman said:

Very nice!

I re-did a glue bomb of this kit last year and had fun doing it. Yours looks fantastic!

Thanks !

On 10/17/2019 at 7:22 PM, Fairfax said:

Wow! I didn't even know there was such a variant of the kit! I love it ! That's what I want !  :-) Great car posture !

Thanks !  This is an original kit from the 60's , it was just reissued a couple months ago as the Dyno Don Cyclone . :)

On 10/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, Old Coyote said:

Beautiful build sir, that's some real craftsmanship. I really like that one ! You have such a clean building style.

Thanks very much John ! :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 12:34 PM, thatz4u said:

very nice, luv the name on the door

Thanks Al !

On 10/18/2019 at 3:35 PM, Vince Nemanic said:

In case you're wondering, those "Fordgone" decals are from the AMT71 Mustang annual. I had the kit when it was new.

AMT had a habit of using the same decals in more than one kit .

3 hours ago, Tye Brown said:

That's so cool mate..Job well done. And I'm so glad you had FUN building it mate, that's what this hobby is all about :)

Thanks very much Tye !  Good to hear from you ! :D

On 10/16/2019 at 5:41 AM, TooOld said:

I sold one of these kits 5-6 years ago and regretted it ever since , so a couple of years ago I started searching and ended up with two of them !  I built all of these AMT Funny Car kits back in the late 60's and as a kid I thought they were great , so this is definitely a "Nostalgia" build .  Even with the recent reissue there's something about building 50 year old plastic .

Built right out of the box (including the plastic tires) except for a MAD distributor and some decals I still think it's a cool looking kit . And I had fun building it , brought back lots of memories ! :)

Here's what I started with . I bought the Dyno Don decals on ebay a few months ago but decided not to build another Eliminator II .  

Paint is Model Master Hugger Orange Lacquer and the glass was tinted with Tamiya Clear Orange .

Here's the finished engine and chassis .

Looks great for a box stock build! Where did you source the decals from?

Alan