Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1977 Ford Delivery Van w/Coke Machine

Casey

2 minutes ago, alexis said:

So. The Newly tooled Stock Ford Hubcaps from the Cruisin' Van, and some new decals and Coke Goodies, and you have a whole new kit. Now, THAT is what I call 'leveraging an asset'!

Good Show, Kats at Round2!!

Agreed....I'll get one

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the Round2 November 2019 Release video, and Chad talked about this kit.  One thing I didn't originally notice on the box art is that the van has redlines.  Would a work van have redline tires?  I thought those were more of a performance tire.

18 hours ago, Jim B said:

Would a work van have redline tires?

No, not likely at all. Most of the fleet (Ma Bell, Coca-Cola, AT&T, etc.) vans I've seen are the base model with very few options, and redline tires would've cost extra.

Looks like the 16 ounce returnable bottles and crates will be pre-finished items, but I am interested to see the soda (pop) machine up close.

image.png.1890b455a27a26259f8ba4ac8f4c2d73.png.6beae2cc86d74d199a93d9d755893f63.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim B said:

Would a work van have redline tires?  I thought those were more of a performance tire.

For most intents and purposes , 1969 was the last model year for redline tyres , at least on U.S. market , North American manufacture vehicles . Nevertheless , it's nice to see redlines , as they can be used on , say , a 1969 Charger .

On 11/1/2019 at 4:29 PM, Jim B said:

I just watched the Round2 November 2019 Release video, and Chad talked about this kit.  One thing I didn't originally notice on the box art is that the van has redlines.  Would a work van have redline tires?  I thought those were more of a performance tire.

No. The only way a set of those tires would ever get on a fleet van from the factory, is that there were no other tires available on the assembly line. Coca Cola wouldn't pay a dime for them. Ford would have have given them the tires for free. However, if a local Coke distributor needed a truck in a hurry, and bought one locally, equipment could vary. If an emergency situation came up, and a set of tires were needed, well you get it. The red lines and wheel covers look great, but they would end up on another project in my world. My build would get blackwalls, white steelies, and dog dish caps.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.  I didn't think redlines would end up on a work truck from the factory.

Ron, I agree with you: black walls, steelies, and maybe hubcaps.

Like the fact that the Coke bottles are pre-finished.  I remember Coke machines that gave glass bottles.  Does that mean I'm old? ?

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

No. The only way a set of those tires would ever get on a fleet van from the factory, is that there were no other tires available on the assembly line. Coca Cola wouldn't pay a dime for them. Ford would have have given them the tires for free. However, if a local Coke distributor needed a truck in a hurry, and bought one locally, equipment could vary. If an emergency situation came up, and a set of tires were needed, well you get it. The red lines and wheel covers look great, but they would end up on another project in my world. My build would get blackwalls, white steelies, and dog dish caps.

agreed. Folks,  Ron sold cars and fleet vehicles for about 800 years!   ? 

and a story...  about 20 years ago I was put in charge of tallying up my companies maintenance fleet and buying a new pickup.  Keep in mind this was a 100 acre property and the vehicles never left the property. Most didn't even have plates.

So I went to the local Ford dealer looking for a Ranger pickup. All of the new ones on the lot had a lot of options etc., not fleet type vehicles at all.  Then I noticed a few trucks sitting at the back of the property.  Salesmen said they were trade ins from a local utility.  White Ford Rangers, basic fleet pickups with ladder racks. 2-3 years old about 25-30,000 miles on them. Perfect.  For the budget I had we were able to buy 3 of them. When management saw what I did there suddenly was funding to get a few more!  The maintenance guys were pleased!

Of course some politically motivated jack said that by buying used trucks, I was cheapening the reputation of our almighty corporation.  The VP we reported into told him to shut up!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Kinda OT. Truck driver that I worked with back in 2005, had an odd little S-10. It was about 5yrs old when I met him. It was the most horrible shade of Baby Sh** Brown, and was a 2Wd Crew Cab.  He told me that he had bought it in 2001 (it was a 1999 Model) It had been special ordered as a Fleet Vehicle. The companie that bought it, paid a deposit to have it built and then went bankrupt. Due to the UN-attractive colour, and the strange mix of options, (basically manual everything, but Power Door Locks and A/C, and a stick shift), it had never sold. It just kept getting pushed further and further back on the lot. The Fleet Manager had been fired about 6 months after the truck had been delivered,  and in the ensuing chaos, it just 'disappeared'.  He found it a the back of the lot when he went to trade in his 1988 S-10. After the salesman tracked down the paperwork for the truck, my freind bought the poor thing for $100.00 over the 2 year old invoice. Dealer even put 4 new tires on it, and replaced the battery. According to my freind it had been the best truck he'd ever had, and he vowed never to sell it.

Back to the Coke Van.  I've resisted buying any of the AMT Vans, but this one and the Chevy Police Van are looking better and better. Wonder how the Ford would look in NYPD Markings? And, are there Ford Steelies in the Phantom Van? (Edit--Nope! Just some factory wheel covers, that are different than the Cruisin' Van Covers in the Coke Van Kit)

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/amt/kit_amt_0767.shtml

Edited by alexis
add link.