Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touring Cars

Why can't we have a series? I know we had North American Touring Cars but why not bring it back?

I mean the BTCC has some of, if not THE best racing out there, along with DTM and other Touring Car series, actual production cars actually battling it out.

"In this, it shares some similarity with the American stock car racing (governed by NASCAR); however, touring cars are actually derived from production cars while NASCAR vehicles are custom built (although in the early days of NASCAR, stock cars were in fact built from production cars, much like current day touring cars.)" :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touring_car_racing

anyone else used to watch Touring Cars or had the TOCA computer game, like I did.....man I miss that B) or actually race with series?

We need racing like THIS nowadays, I mean, this wasn't too long ago and the BTCC and DTM still retain to their roots and still run hard, now why not America?

at the 1:45 mark, that is awsome how they raced Corollas and Golfs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnRP5B79wB4...feature=related

Some of the best, have more but thought these were best representation

this video is my FAVORITE. The driving and in the rain footage is incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-R665bquMg...feature=related

Edited by Nick F40

B) Yeah Nick, I like em! After you an Chris turned me on to em I try ta catch em, but it looks like speed dropped em or like you was tellin me, they're on so late I'm usually asleep! Never understood how folks get ANYTHING outta watchin cars go round an round for hours! Gimme a roadtrack, an I'll stay ALL day. Oh, an before I forget, ###### LIZARDS!!! :lol:

We do have touring car series. Just that most of them are not televised. The Speed Touring Cars are the only ones that are televised, but SCCA have some and so does some other governing bodies have a series. They're out there but they're not very popular here. People are more interested in the GT Racing.

I don't really know what you are talking about but racing actual "stock" cars would be much more interesting to me than most racing out there these days.

My favorite is the dirt track stuff because I can relate to dragging some junker out of a farmers field cleaning it up, adding a limited amount of after market stuff and tearing around the track with similar vehicles. You know racing that doesn't take a 30 million dollar corporate sponsor to participate.

I do like the rally cars, because they remind me of Speed Racer and the Sprint cars are great, like mad scientist racers, 2 speeds, stop and crazy fast. B)

B) Nice George, that's my boy! :lol: I don't either especially since on the quote above. But I do love dirt racing.

But like you said, that's Speed's problem is that they drop them for stupid reasons or on late night. Look at Victory by Design, whatever happened to that? They have so many useless shows that Speed is trying to give an attempt to but dang come on here, it is a MOTORSPORTS channel. DTM, BTCC, WTCC, V8 Supercar season is soon starting and I know, I'll watch them or tape them but they really need better airtimes, they would definetly get more viewers, even a couple on here. I'm surprised they are doing coverage of the Runoffs this year but even with that, they are showing little amounts of the classes. http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/program/821353

http://nascar.speedtv.com/forums/viewthread/83195/#1412940

http://www.dtm.com/newsausgabe.php?id=6945

I know we have brought this channel up, some of you know about it but supposedly it is in it's final stages, now when can I get this????

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2007/07/31...ork-its-coming/

man i used to love watching the footage on Speedvision! the BTCC and the Australian Supercars were some awesome races! at one point the BTCC stuff was pretty rough and those drivers were brutal to each other. made for some good entertainment for sure! the Australian supercars were cool to watch as well and the V-8 soundtrack is awesome. i never had the chance to see any Japanese racing, but i have several of the Skyline kits and a few others. i'm not sure why it never really took off in the U.S., maybe Nascar has too much of a foothold. i did enjoy the Speedvision series for quite awhile though until the Integra type-R dominated, then later the BMW's. same deal with the WRC and the U.S. rally stuff, i love it, but hard to find some like minded folks!

Dave

oh man me too! Those are my favorites! I love my rally too. ;)

We do have touring car series. Just that most of them are not televised. The Speed Touring Cars are the only ones that are televised, but SCCA have some and so does some other governing bodies have a series. They're out there but they're not very popular here. People are more interested in the GT Racing.

No, trust me, I know about SPEED World Challenge and Touring cars, but you never hear or see about that. I only see about it and get the schedule in Grassroots Motorsports and Sportcar, that's it. I'm lucky I have a schedule, it came with my one issue of Sport Compact Car, I can't wait for the race this Saturday. The GT cars is what everybody loves but Touring cars has the racing part down but it's like what you said, it is not THAT popular....

Sponsership is hard and with SCCA's series for Mazdas, yeah, it is huge :lol:

I guess i'll be the only one, with some others on here, who likes these racing series and want to watch them but can't because I don't live in Europe, all you guys on here that are in Europe and new Zealand and Australia, you are lucky and shouldn't complain about the racing you guys have over there. B) Anyone else?

No one even mentioned the Koni Cup...

Doesn't get much press, but it's Jr Grand Am showroom stock racing, and a whole bunch of different classes in SCCA.

I would sure like to see V8 Supercars for sure, but that is a different animal all together.

:lol: Dale, good memories, yeah we had all the cheats for the lava track and the cars, gotta love racing the pink cadillac! :lol: My dad even had the setups for dry, wet, and intermediate for all cars, we were hardcore with that game! As of now, I just have to wait for SimBin's RacePro

No one even mentioned the Koni Cup...

Doesn't get much press, but it's Jr Grand Am showroom stock racing, and a whole bunch of different classes in SCCA.

I would sure like to see V8 Supercars for sure, but that is a different animal all together.

Come on Chris, you think I forgot about those guys, I watch their races online and on youtube and try to get all the info and schedule for the seasons, heck yeah! Grand Am for life!

They still do show the races on Speed and I still remember Speed's attempt to do the 6 hour at Bathurst, horrible, everything was pushed into 2 hours, but still very exciting!

is there still a BTCC or JTCC? i know that there are still DTM cars, but i havent seen the others in awhile. could be the whole SpeedNascarFox channel thing messing it all up though and we just arent seeing the footage. Speedvision was awesome and was indeed about all forms of motorsports. i think they ran boat stuff on tuesdays back in the day and the bike stuff on another day. the only Nascar on there was some nice footage of some old races. now it's all too much of a bunch of used up burned out washed up drivers talking about how the new guys should be driving for hours on end. oh well, i guess we do have Pinks if anyone likes watching that, i do, and there aint much else worth watching anymore. do they even cover the WRC anymore?

Dave

Heck yeah Dave! but let me ask you this, do you know why your probably asking that question?

It is becuase NO ONE knows or hears about it over hear unless you are like the purists, like me who visit the site and watch online coverage and read about it and stuff like that.

DTM is still awsome though but I agree with you on the whole SpeedNascarFox channel, Speedvision comment, old REAL NASCAR footage, and the burned out washed up drivers, and with WRC, no, another stupid mistake, like some of the manufacturs dropping out, alot of viewers there!

JTCC, Japan's forgotten racing series, that was good though but it basically was taken over by JGTC which is now SuperGT and there is a channel that does coverage of every race other than MotorsTV, which I want to get SO BAD :lol: my buddy was telling me about it but I forget. I am actually finishing up a JTCC Accord. That didn't last long with the '98 season being the last. http://www.auto-otaku.com/home/2007/11/jtcc-japans-for.html

:lol: Yeah Nick, I like em! After you an Chris turned me on to em I try ta catch em, but it looks like speed dropped em or like you was tellin me, they're on so late I'm usually asleep! Never understood how folks get ANYTHING outta watchin cars go round an round for hours! Gimme a roadtrack, an I'll stay ALL day. Oh, an before I forget, ###### LIZARDS!!! :lol:

There season is done I think or maybe one - two races left, but they were always on at normal hours save for the 24 of Sebring and 6 at the Glenn, and 10 hrs Petit LeMans Oct 4th

I hear ya, I tried roundy rounds. I am bored in five laps.

:lol: Dale, good memories, yeah we had all the cheats for the lava track and the cars, gotta love racing the pink cadillac! :lol: My dad even had the setups for dry, wet, and intermediate for all cars, we were hardcore with that game! As of now, I just have to wait for SimBin's RacePro

Come on Chris, you think I forgot about those guys, I watch their races online and on youtube and try to get all the info and schedule for the seasons, heck yeah! Grand Am for life!

They still do show the races on Speed and I still remember Speed's attempt to do the 6 hour at Bathurst, horrible, everything was pushed into 2 hours, but still very exciting!

Heck yeah Dave! but let me ask you this, do you know why your probably asking that question?

It is becuase NO ONE knows or hears about it over hear unless you are like the purists, like me who visit the site and watch online coverage and read about it and stuff like that.

DTM is still awsome though but I agree with you on the whole SpeedNascarFox channel, Speedvision comment, old REAL NASCAR footage, and the burned out washed up drivers, and with WRC, no, another stupid mistake, like some of the manufacturs dropping out, alot of viewers there!

JTCC, Japan's forgotten racing series, that was good though but it basically was taken over by JGTC which is now SuperGT and there is a channel that does coverage of every race other than MotorsTV, which I want to get SO BAD :lol: my buddy was telling me about it but I forget. I am actually finishing up a JTCC Accord. That didn't last long with the '98 season being the last. http://www.auto-otaku.com/home/2007/11/jtcc-japans-for.html

If it's anything like GTR2 I am sure it will be good.

Codemaster, who did Grid, got the F1 contract.

Probably the best series was the old Firestone/Firehawk Series. They would have somewhere close to 60 to 70 cars out on the race track. It would be like a four hour event. It was a support race for IMSA.

Oh yeah, I remember ... the good ole days. We did a lot of 944s for what became Kellymoss Motorsports.

Never heard fo that series....I bet it was good though! :D

I used to like watching that on speedvision when the channel was actually worth watching, anyways Toca was a cool game ever tried GRID they do have some touring races in there.

Carro, oh yeah I'm with ya and yes, I have a 360 and I love that game, beat it about 4 times with different ways to beat it and still not being able to buy the Porsche GT3 RSR

There season is done I think or maybe one - two races left, but they were always on at normal hours save for the 24 of Sebring and 6 at the Glenn, and 10 hrs Petit LeMans Oct 4th

I hear ya, I tried roundy rounds. I am bored in five laps.

No I know, but they are still replaying them on Speed, I know shock, but there is one on Saturday. I love all those endurance races and I can't wait for Petit. :D

I can watch the trucks, that it, at Talledega, but that's it, they should have them race on roadcourses.

And as for the being like GTR2, yes, same developer and Henrik Roos said it is basically RACE and GTR2 combined and ONLY for the 360, just combine them two, and for the console...booya!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-X4-ZYlliQ...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPSzwySodPw...feature=related

Supposedly going to be crazy good and I heard over 300 some cars in 12 different classes or something like that, all I know is that there are lots of cars.

They had some games with F1, like TOCA 2 and it was hella fun and with GRID, you get the Dallara Formula 3 and the FJ 1000, it still makes me mad that the Penske Porsche and the Risi Ferrari were SUPPOSED to be in it, as it was in the preview but they aren't, just stupid Lizards! :D

Never heard fo that series....I bet it was good though! ;)

Yeah, but like everything else Porsche with the 944 dominated and they handicapped and handicapped and handicapped them until they were no longer competitive, and the series disolved.

People get all weird when an American series is dominated by someone who's not domestic.

It was a good entry level road racing series that didn't cost a fortune.

Yeah, but like everything else Porsche with the 944 dominated and they handicapped and handicapped and handicapped them until they were no longer competitive, and the series disolved.

People get all weird when an American series is dominated by someone who's not domestic.

It was a good entry level road racing series that didn't cost a fortune.

yeah really! ;)

here's another video for you guys, my favorite show!

check out that Alfa!

Back in 1999 we had the Millenium Dome exhibition in the UK, part of this was a huge games machine that realisticly portrayed a touring car race.

To play the game you sat in a full size replica of Nigel Mansell's Ford Mondeo race car with the screen at eye level and using foot and hand controls similar to the real thing. The car was an actual converted real Car.

The thing is this machine was so realisticly set up that the car was so powerful that it was almost impossible to control unless you were used to handeling a real race car(or were a 10 year old ;) )

I think I managed 1/2 a lap, my son managed all 3 :D

A little two wheel action... they seem to do that a lot.

Yeah and that's why I love it, look at the control. But the other thing is teamates could compete against each other and it wasn't such a big deal, that Audi at the end, he still went on racing, no penalties for cutting and other BS, just kept on racing, look at the Volvo passing the Renault, same deal, real racing, real drivers and that's why I love it! I want to move to the UK :lol:

Back in 1999 we had the Millenium Dome exhibition in the UK, part of this was a huge games machine that realisticly portrayed a touring car race.

To play the game you sat in a full size replica of Nigel Mansell's Ford Mondeo race car with the screen at eye level and using foot and hand controls similar to the real thing. The car was an actual converted real Car.

The thing is this machine was so realisticly set up that the car was so powerful that it was almost impossible to control unless you were used to handeling a real race car(or were a 10 year old :D )

I think I managed 1/2 a lap, my son managed all 3 :P

That is wicked! That man could drive and I'd love to take a Contour (Mondeo) and make it into one over here.

You are lucky you live in the UK with all them great series..or Europe for that matter! ;)

The thing is this machine was so realisticly set up that the car was so powerful that it was almost impossible to control unless you were used to handeling a real race car(or were a 10 year old ;) )

I think I managed 1/2 a lap, my son managed all 3 :lol:

That sounds pretty much like GTR2, which is said to have about the best physics. :D You make it about ten feet if you don't know what you are doing, especially in something like a 550.

I am getting pretty good with that twitchy thing though. 3:53:500 at LeMans (2004) :P

The best practice time for a 550 at the 2004 LeMans 3:54.105, best class time with a CR6 3:49.982

Edited by CAL

Hi guys

I sit over here in Australia reading all your posts and just dreaming of being able to just walk into a store and buying what I want of a shelf, or being able to get all that cool paint (postal services get touchy about Flamable goods in envolopes in international mail) and all the sporting events I would love to be able to attened if I lived about a 16 hour flight east and a little north from where I am now, but tonight I have just read the post about touring cars, and I must admit I had a bit of a giggle to myself, HERE finally us little Aussies have something you guys want, V8SUPERCARS (although there is a roumer that there is going to be a V8 super car race over there soon) I have no fear in saying that we have the best touring car series in the world and almost the best racing series full stop and it's all ours (insert evil laugh here ) sorry for gloting but I don't get to many opputunities

Mal