Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT

Scale-Master

Nice start Mark. I love the silver. Need to get my second one finished up before I start in on numbers 3 and 4.

Watch the sprue mounting spot on the bottom of the rear quarters, infront of the rear wheel. Those spots need to be 100% flush on assembly or you'll get bad fitment with the chassis pan. Also they kind of flare out towards the flat of the body as well so you could end up with a bare spot.

Looking forward to the next update.

59 minutes ago, Bennyg said:

I want to get another one of these. I really don’t know what method is best to do the body work. Will be watching.

Ben

I've got two painted and you can put all the parts on the body minus the two rear quarters cause the undersides of the buttress' need to be painted and cleared. The rest is easy enough to paint as a whole.

I'm fully aware of the fitment of this kit.  I built one of the very first ones into the country last year for the Scale Auto review.

(Hence my comment about one more of the same kit...)

NVvWiQj.jpg

Uv6CtMG.jpg

The headlights are exceptionally well engineered.

2rN5Kqa.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

3 hours ago, Scale-Master said:

I'm fully aware of the fitment of this kit.  I built one of the very first ones into the country last year for the Scale Auto review.

(Hence my comment about one more of the same kit...)

NVvWiQj.jpg

Uv6CtMG.jpg

The headlights are exceptionally well engineered.

2rN5Kqa.jpg

100%, the headlights are awesome. I also like the interior.

Ben

The steering wheel is just Tamiya Flat black.  The silver paint is just Tamiya lacquers.  After a few days I added a few more coats of clear.  It's even shinier now...

Brakes.  I used the Tamiya Panel Line Accent for the vent holes.

CY3nmIG.jpg

I used the brown Tamiya Panel Line Accent on the chassis.

5Y7Dcbh.jpg

Looks great so far.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that the Ford GT uses carbon brakes. If that's the case They need to be much daeker. I have best luck replicating them, by spraying metallic black and then at very low pressure from a distance make the airbrush "spit" some light gunmetal (Tamiya) to make little random spots. 

• Thanks 1

Really nice. I like the Tamiya metallics, because their flakes are so fine. Some of the Testors one coat metallics have that “bass boat” effect. Weird thing is that it is hit or miss with the original automotive paint. I have used a very good portion of Ferrari’s colors and some are grainier than others. With Tamiya tho, it’s a sure thing. 

And I wasn’t looking for an argument about the rotors. Just didn’t know that the carbon brakes were optional. 

Can’t wait to see your model finished. Are you putting stripes on this one?

Thanks.  No stripes for this one.  It's a replica of the car that was used to make the Tamiya kit. 

I know the manager at the dealership it was originally delivered to and he provided me photos of when it first arrived.

It does not look like the way the model will be now as it has had some "upgrades" done to it.

I agree about the other paint brands.  Tamiya silver is the only one I use now for bodies.  Unless it's a dune buggy, funny car or bass boat...

• 1 month later...