Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few new Round 2 kit coming out ......

Mr mopar

2 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I just want them to bring the regular pickup kits back out again, rather than continually reissuing the monster truck version. Plus the fact that it's yet another Coca Cola branded kit.

I wonder if they permanently modified the tooling..I don't recall seeing a stock reissue since they did the monster truck version..

33 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I wonder if they permanently modified the tooling..I don't recall seeing a stock reissue since they did the monster truck version..

I had to go find the monster truck instructions to refresh my memory, but yeah it appears they modified the stock chassis for the monster truck kit. However, they must have used the same molds for the stock longbed and shortbed/stepside kits, with an insert to make the longbed chassis, in order to not be able to re-release the shortbed or stepside versions, which is a real shame. They really need to spend some dollars to bring back the stock tooling since I know the stock kits would be very popular if they were brought back out.

4 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I had to go find the monster truck instructions to refresh my memory, but yeah it appears they modified the stock chassis for the monster truck kit. However, they must have used the same molds for the stock longbed and shortbed/stepside kits, with an insert to make the longbed chassis, in order to not be able to re-release the shortbed or stepside versions, which is a real shame. They really need to spend some dollars to bring back the stock tooling since I know the stock kits would be very popular if they were brought back out.

The shortbed stepside was out after the USA-1 truck in the late 90s so at least that version should still be able to be reissued. 

29 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I don't know but from the few of those I had, there wasn't much really shared between the two frames except the floor pieces for the bottom of the cab and bed, so it could be possible. 

The interesting thing I am noting in that is that it is marked as a "1988" which if the permanently modified tooling could be the reason why all the reissues are always monster trucks, you would think the same would hold true with the grilles because the 88 would have this earlier style small 4 headlight grille. 

1906228980_AMTChevyC1500EarlyGrille.jpg.8b2df618280c7e2ef28aed2ab43dda44.jpg

1 hour ago, highway said:

I don't know but from the few of those I had, there wasn't much really shared between the two frames except the floor pieces for the bottom of the cab and bed, so it could be possible. 

The interesting thing I am noting in that is that it is marked as a "1988" which if the permanently modified tooling could be the reason why all the reissues are always monster trucks, you would think the same would hold true with the grilles because the 88 would have this earlier style small 4 headlight grille. 

1906228980_AMTChevyC1500EarlyGrille.jpg.8b2df618280c7e2ef28aed2ab43dda44.jpg

They also updated the grille for the 96 snap kits and still have the 90 grille in the monster truck kits so there have to be various parts of the tool. I wish I had a stock longbed kit to compare the monster truck frame with. 

20200206_144929.jpg.fde8279a1438f5e195503713792b2781.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

The Coca-Cola Thirst Crusher! Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Actually,  it's not too far from possible. There were a lot of "corporate" trucks then.

Ya....would be neat to see a Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator livery.   With Electrolytes!

On 2/6/2020 at 3:49 PM, Fat Brian said:

I wish I had a stock longbed kit to compare the monster truck frame with. 

Yellow frame on the left is from the original 1987 issue, black one is from a built-up reissue of USA-1.

2v2HKysCgxAUC7m.jpg

2v2HKyssCxAUC7m.jpg

2v2HKysmSxAUC7m.jpg

2v2HKysShxAUC7m.jpg

If it is a modification, it is quite an extensive one. It looks to be different enough to be a separate insert. That being said, the stock long bed was last issued in 1989 and the first USA-1 kit was issued in 1990. Looks like I have some digging to do for a new kit history article...  

Edited by Fabrux

11 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Yellow frame on the left is from the original 1987 issue, black one is from a built-up reissue of USA-1.

2v2HKysCgxAUC7m.jpg

2v2HKyssCxAUC7m.jpg

2v2HKysmSxAUC7m.jpg

2v2HKysShxAUC7m.jpg

If it is a modification, it is quite an extensive one. It looks to be different enough to be a separate insert. That being said, the stock long bed was last issued in 1989 and the first USA-1 kit was issued in 1990. Looks like I have some digging to do for a new kit history article...  

I agree that the two frames are different, there are obvious differences in places that shouldn't need to have been changed to make the monster truck conversion. That plus the fact the regular long bed was reissued after the first issue of the USA-1 truck says that at least the frame wasn't altered then. What has happened to it since then is anyone's guess. I also wonder why they keep reissuing the chevy kit when the have the 80s Bigfoot kit too.

5 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Most likely licensing.

That's the thing, they don't have to include the Bigfoot decals. It could have Coke decals too. They have already issued the 80s Bigfoot with alternate decals as the Destroyer II. The only problem I can think of is that the valve covers say "Bigfoot" on them but that could be fixed, they're wrong anyway. They've done the Bigfoot 10 tube chassis truck with just American flag decals.

vintage-amt-destroyer-ii-monster_1_e361ba1080e90372e5061aae1fa4ec01.jpg.d87492fe4396f1c3bb2f2d486a50bdbc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 7:07 AM, JerseeJerry55 said:

Or the AMT 1/43rd scale TNT Kits (Dannon Yogurt, 7UP, KMart,,Sears,,Pete 359 wrecker, Western Express) they were cool.

I agree with you on these ! I am doing both a stretched Peterbilt and a dressed down Kenworth right now , great little kits !

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Casey said:

AMT 1210 - Ford Courier Minivan

58 minutes ago, alexis said:

That Courier Minivan will be nice to have. Totally Non Stock, but a nice Custom build.

I've never seen the contents of that kit ---- not stock at all ??? 

**EDIT**

Answered my own question . Here's the listing for one at Model Roundup :https://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/amt-2701a.htm

Edited by 1972coronet