Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few new Round 2 kit coming out ......

Mr mopar

On 6/18/2020 at 10:53 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

IMO, This is the best version of this kit!

It came with the camper shell, 2 sets of bed fenders, stock and custom vector wheels (which look perfect on a DofH General Lee, BTW), stock decals, fender flares, front air dam AND LOTS OF FUN!!

Back then, I enjoyed building this one stock and used the extra bed parts on another stepside for a custom. I always searched for another kit to replace it, but as it was never reissued, it was always the hardest one to find complete. I ended up getting one with the camper shell missing and I was grateful to have found that!

I'm glad I'll finally be able to get more of these babies, soon. Love that box art!

You answered a lot of questions I had about this kit , I might get two , one to build stock and then one to build custom to go with the Luv.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:36 PM, chuckyr said:

Keep waiting!  LOL!

You never know, a few other ‘lost’ or ‘destroyed’ molds are showing up or getting repaired , and stuff we never thought we would see again has been reissued......, there’s always hope........

34 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

Those repopped old kits help us afford the otherwise unattainable kits we would like to have in our collections .... 

Those reissued AMT kits aren't that much less than first issue Moebius and Italeri kits.  $25 to $30 for the 50 year old reissues, $45 to $50 for Moebius and Italeri kits.  In fact, the renamed Italeri, AMT Reefer trailer and Peterbuilt kits cost as much as original Italeri kits.  Ironically, the biggest beef I heard with the Italeri reefer trailer when it first came out in the 1990s was that it was grossly inaccurate and nobody was going to buy it.  Now that the label has been replaced with AMT instead of Italeri, I have heard none of that.  Do I sense a bit of jingoism among the Model Cars Magazine crowd?  

1 hour ago, Deuces ll said:

So, what is it with these companies????..... They don't like free advertising?????..... ?

Remember...you asked for this boring story!!!!!

I had a company. We did licensed product back during the NASCAR crazy era. We made model decal, die cast and other stuff. When we started out licensing was often a contract limiting liability for the owning company. Cost was often small....a legal amount showing that my company was using with permission a item they still owned. My first contract with Good Year was $10 a year. 

Then Harley Davidson announced   one year that they made more money off licensing their logo than they did off selling motorcycles. They set up licensing as a profit center and started policing use of their logo, trade dress etc. So between legal use and the fees AND suing users that did not license they made MUCH more than selling silly motorcycles. 

Needless to say other companies noticed. John Deere was one that went big, still are. So everyone jumped on the wagon...not all the same success. But licensing their logo FOR PROFIT was now en grained into every company.  Some of you may recall when Revell Monogram had to remove the Good Year logo off their tires....all tires but NASCAR tires hit big. Good Year had bought into the logo profit center thing and wanted, from what I was told, 25 cents per kit!!!! UP from the $10 per year.....huge increase!! Revell told them to walk....and removed the GY logos from all kits at great cost. 

So CAT got into this like everyone did......and R2/AMT must not be willing to pay or CAT is being a pain....I do not know which. To put a end on this.....many companies have gone back to the old way....after no one wanted to pay huge money to use their logo.....some have stuck to it. Some realized the free exposure was better than a few bucks!

The End!  

To add to Dave's point, in this litigious society we've evolved into, the method of suing people is to blanket sue everything that isn't nailed down.  So if little Johnny choked to death on the Goodyear branded tires from his Revell NASCAR kit, in addition to Revell getting sued, so would NASCAR, the team, the team's main sponsors, GM or Ford, and of course Goodyear.  Because how could of all those entities be so negligent as to allow Revell to produce such a deadly toy car...blah_blah_blah 

42 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

To add to Dave's point, in this litigious society we've evolved into, the method of suing people is to blanket sue everything that isn't nailed down.  So if little Johnny choked to death on the Goodyear branded tires from his Revell NASCAR kit, in addition to Revell getting sued, so would NASCAR, the team, the team's main sponsors, GM or Ford, and of course Goodyear.  Because how could of all those entities be so negligent as to allow Revell to produce such a deadly toy car...blah_blah_blah 

VERY GOOD point I forgot to add.......IE follow the money. But most licensing agreements release liability.....but a lawyer is going to sue anyway....but if it comes to trail most courts follow the liability release.....but they are dragged through the mud anyway. 

13 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Remember...you asked for this boring story!!!!!

I had a company. We did licensed product back during the NASCAR crazy era. We made model decal, die cast and other stuff. When we started out licensing was often a contract limiting liability for the owning company. Cost was often small....a legal amount showing that my company was using with permission a item they still owned. My first contract with Good Year was $10 a year. 

Then Harley Davidson announced   one year that they made more money off licensing their logo than they did off selling motorcycles. They set up licensing as a profit center and started policing use of their logo, trade dress etc. So between legal use and the fees AND suing users that did not license they made MUCH more than selling silly motorcycles. 

Needless to say other companies noticed. John Deere was one that went big, still are. So everyone jumped on the wagon...not all the same success. But licensing their logo FOR PROFIT was now en grained into every company.  Some of you may recall when Revell Monogram had to remove the Good Year logo off their tires....all tires but NASCAR tires hit big. Good Year had bought into the logo profit center thing and wanted, from what I was told, 25 cents per kit!!!! UP from the $10 per year.....huge increase!! Revell told them to walk....and removed the GY logos from all kits at great cost. 

So CAT got into this like everyone did......and R2/AMT must not be willing to pay or CAT is being a pain....I do not know which. To put a end on this.....many companies have gone back to the old way....after no one wanted to pay huge money to use their logo.....some have stuck to it. Some realized the free exposure was better than a few bucks!

The End!  

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

That's pretty much it, and Cat is one of the companies protecting their brand and logos the hardest, I don't know the fee they want for a license to a kit with their logos on it but they are very protective and it's most likely quite an amount.
So I can understand why Round2 and Revell aren't that interested to pay up as the revenue from each kit isn't that high and on a race car for example there are many companies that want money for licenses to use their logos.
Then you have another aspect, one company you want to get a license from can have demands on what and what not you can put on a product with their name on it, this has happened very recent with the reissues of the Tyrone Malone Hideout Truck and Kenworth Custom Drag Truck (Bandag Bandit), Kenworth appearently stated if you are using Bandag, Detroit Diesel and Allison on the kits you can't get the Kenworth license to do the kit itself, that's  after what I understand why all these markings are left out on the reissues because Bandag now owned by Bridgestone, Detroit Diesel and Allison didn't mind.

Funny follow up if your still awake!!!!!

After Good Year did not have much success getting other companies to pay big bucks to License their logo......and from what I understand some changes in personnel......Good Year went back to the original way, or very close to it, as they realized a kid builds a model with Good Year tires may buy same. GY sent a letter to Revell Monogram offering the old deal of a small flat fee. Remember it cost RM lots to modify every tire tool. Revell replied to the letter agreeing to restore the Good Year logos.....and a bill for doing so!! Needless to say no GY to this day! 

17 hours ago, Dave Van said:

VERY GOOD point I forgot to add.......IE follow the money. But most licensing agreements release liability.....but a lawyer is going to sue anyway....but if it comes to trail most courts follow the liability release.....but they are dragged through the mud anyway. 

Important to note.. when attorneys file these blanket nuisance suits, they aren’t looking to take it to court. They know the it will cost the entity they are suing dearly to provide a defense so they are hoping for a settlement offer to go away. Companies have paid these because it’s the cheapest way out for them.

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Important to note.. when attorneys file these blanket nuisance suits, they aren’t looking to take it to court. They know the it will cost the entity they are suing dearly to provide a defense so they are hoping for a settlement offer to go away. Companies have paid these because it’s the cheapest way out for them.

Can't they recoup the expenses made to prove they're not at fault? 

44 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Can't they recoup the expenses made to prove they're not at fault? 

Generally speaking (and I'll leave direct explanation to those who understand the subject better) you can't recoup attorney's fees unless you are the party doing the suing (aka little Johnny's bereaved family from the early example) or you're the defendant and the lawsuit was filed to directly oppress you and you (as the defendant) won in what's known as "Equitable Remedy".  Otherwise it's seen as the cost of doing business for a major company - and like Dave pointed out there's a liability release on their end, but that's part of what you're paying for in that licensing.  There was a group, probably 10 years ago now, testing the water with Ford to get licensing for a modeling project and Ford wanted a flat fee up front, a per unit percentage on revenue and a mandatory product liability insurance policy be carried by the party getting the license specifically to keep Ford out of any blanket suit and provide them a way to recoup their legal fees if they were.

Edited by niteowl7710

Just seen this on the Steves web site 

AMT-1221 1/25 Ford C600 Hostess Truck w/Trailer $59.95 TBA

Edited by Mr mopar