Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1970.5 Camaro Z28 - Full Bumper

Casey

So, if one managed to remove the Z28 emblems from the grille [enter hysterical laughter here] and the wings fenders, and obtained a resin set of wheels, he'd end up with a plain jane 'maro, right?
Extra Turn-up-the-Base points for installing a Stovebolt?

Edited by Junkman

1 hour ago, Junkman said:

So, if one managed to remove the Z28 emblems from the grille [enter hysterical laughter here] and the wings fenders, and obtained a resin set of wheels, he'd end up with a plain jane 'maro, right?
Extra Turn-up-the-Base points for installing a Stovebolt?

And leave off the rear spoiler and sport mirrors.

I kind of want to do one like this, using the wheel covers from the '70 Impala and a resin 250 6.

70bluecam.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

I was just informed that MPC had a full bumper 70 Camaro which I was not aware of. I found this small image on-line978316073_mpc70camaro.jpg.70d3871dbb984e397bcd4042fe745933.jpg

Also found this photo of an AMT pro-stock full bumper 70 Camaro. I wonder if the "new" future issue is related to either of these ??

72c5b9729a7513e517306d7bfa3bd968.jpg.2bf5116594ca8fda30a3f246b8e0202f.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho

4 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

I was just informed that MPC had a full bumper 70 Camaro which I was not aware of. I found this small image on-line978316073_mpc70camaro.jpg.70d3871dbb984e397bcd4042fe745933.jpg

Also found this photo of an AMT pro-stock full bumper 70 Camaro. I wonder if the "new" future issue is related to either of these ??

No.  As has been discussed in a few places, this will be the late 90s era tooling w new parts.  That vintage box art is great, though!

Edited by Rob Hall

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

No.  As has been discussed in a few places, this will be the late 90s era tooling w new parts.  That vintage box art is great, though!

Thanks Rob. Good to know. I thought the late 90s tool was very good and even started a full bumper conversion but happy to know I will not have to complete it !!

3 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Don Greer box art! And if I'm not mistaken, he did the box art for the new issue, too. (He's still doing work for Round 2.)

Just noticed, the front tires on the Pro Stock Camaro above are very wrong. Pro Stocks wouldn't have run front tires that wide. But maybe he had to do it that way because only wide tires and slicks were in the box, so I'm willing to cut slack. B)

8 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Hopefully the new grille and bumper will be cast as separate pieces...with the bumper separate, it would be possible to do a custom front like this--split RS bumper on a standard style front end.

70-73camarostandard with rs bumpers.jpg

I'm almost certain the bumper and grille will be separate, if I remember correctly you have to insert the kit grille from behind the nose piece and it wont fit through the opening from the front. Just adding a bumper to the existing piece will make it not fit either way.

8 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I'm almost certain the bumper and grille will be separate, if I remember correctly you have to insert the kit grille from behind the nose piece and it wont fit through the opening from the front. Just adding a bumper to the existing piece will make it not fit either way.

The grille will be different as will the opening and the whole front, though...since the standard grille is larger than the RS grille and fits in a different sized opening.   I assume they will be separate parts.   The bumper molded to the grille is how I remember the old AMT and MPC full width bumper kits being..

Edited by Rob Hall

20 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The grille will be different as will the opening and the whole front, though...since the standard grille is larger than the RS grille and fits in a different sized opening.   I assume they will be separate parts.   The bumper molded to the grille is how I remember the old AMT and MPC full width bumper kits being..

Yeah, I wasn't considering that the existing grille will probably not be used at all due to the difference in the noses.

My second 1:1 was a baseline '70 Camaro that was nearly as bare-bones as a consumer could get. A 250ci straight-6, (which weighed more than the small-block V8 and not much less than the big-blocks), no power steering or brakes but it did have a heater and an AM-radio!

If unchanged in this reissue, the seat & interior door patterns found in this kit will not be correct for a baseline Camaro, and my 1:1 had extremely-baseline hubcaps that I've never seen issued in a kit before.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:20 AM, Casey said:

Out soon:

1306951083_ROUND2-AMT1155-1970CamaroZ28FullBumper.thumb.jpg.a45a43a144fb5ee4f728d3d24df91227.jpg

I still have an unbuilt straight bumper Camaro from the 70's. AMT kit I believe. I forgot that I had a MPC 71 to restore, which is a rally sport. They are decent kits, but nowhere as good as the 90s AMT 70 Camaro Variants. As much as I would want a Z28, I hope that the emblems are separate. I want to do either an SS or a base car. The Model Car Garage Photoetch set should work.