Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1970.5 Camaro Z28 - Full Bumper

Casey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:42 AM, Junkman said:

So, if one managed to remove the Z28 emblems from the grille [enter hysterical laughter here] and the wings fenders, and obtained a resin set of wheels, he'd end up with a plain jane 'maro, right?
Extra Turn-up-the-Base points for installing a Stovebolt?

On 10/17/2019 at 12:47 PM, Rob Hall said:

And leave off the rear spoiler and sport mirrors.

I kind of want to do one like this, using the wheel covers from the '70 Impala and a resin 250 6.

70bluecam.jpg

Rob, not sure if it would be a 250 6 or not and I know that from 69 to 70 1/2 the F body platform was restyled, but would the optional 6 found in the MPC/AMT 69 Firebird kits be a donor for a 6 cylinder base model car? 

13 minutes ago, highway said:

Rob, not sure if it would be a 250 6 or not and I know that from 69 to 70 1/2 the F body platform was restyled, but would the optional 6 found in the MPC/AMT 69 Firebird kits be a donor for a 6 cylinder base model car? 

69 Firebird has the OHC 6-cylinder engine that was exclusive to Pontiacs.  Although it had the same basic block as the Chevy 6, the cylinder head, intake and exhaust were totally different.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:45 PM, sfhess said:

69 Firebird has the OHC 6-cylinder engine that was exclusive to Pontiacs.  Although it had the same basic block as the Chevy 6, the cylinder head, intake and exhaust were totally different.

Even though F bodies, and mostly the Trans Am, are one of my favorite cars, that was one thing I was not aware of Scott. Honestly the lower trim level cars with anything less than a V8 never really got much attention from me with the exception of the 89 Indy Pace Car edition Trans Am only because that V6 was the Buick Grand National Turbo engine. Those 6 cylinders from that 69 kit get thrown into my parts box to be completely forgotten about. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Classicgas said:

The 6 in the Trumpeter 63 Nova is close to correct.

It would definitely be a better starting point than the Trans Am motor. I am not sure if that Trumpeter had a generator or an alternator, that would be the only thing I can think of that would need to be changed. I think MCW had a Chevy L-6 resin engine available.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:30 PM, highway said:

Not sure, but maybe someone like Chief Joseph at Fireball Modelworks will develop the wheels/hubcaps needed to turn this into a plain Jane.

21 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

It would definitely be a better starting point than the Trans Am motor. I am not sure if that Trumpeter had a generator or an alternator, that would be the only thing I can think of that would need to be changed. I think MCW had a Chevy L-6 resin engine available.

Alternator.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 8:24 AM, Snake45 said:

I just got a nice '73 promo with wheel covers. If anyone needs them, I'd be willing to lend a wheel to a reliable resincaster for duplication. 

Thank god you said reliable, no cap. LOL

Isn't the Pontiac OHC-6 an all aluminum slant 6? I don't recall it being based on the Stovebolt 6 

On 11/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, Snake45 said:

I just got a nice '73 promo with wheel covers. If anyone needs them, I'd be willing to lend a wheel to a reliable resincaster for duplication. 

Missing Link offers those with the '73 Chevelle. I don't know if they're sold separately.

16 hours ago, DukeE said:

Thank god you said reliable, no cap. LOL

Isn't the Pontiac OHC-6 an all aluminum slant 6? I don't recall it being based on the Stovebolt 6 

From what I have read about the Pontiac OHC 6 cylinder it shared virtually nothing with the Chevrolet engine. The exception might have been with the Piston Wrist Pins maybe. The engine block was a cast iron design with the engine skirts actually extending below the Crank Shaft centerline. Up until the Pontiac engine was developed most OHC engines used chains or gears to drive the Cams. Pontiac worked with suppliers to develop the Timing Belt to drive the Cams and this has become the  present day standard method of driving the Cams. Much of that technology came from the belts being used to drive Super Chargers at that time. The base engine with a compression ratio in the 9+ range and a single 2-barrel Carb. was standard. An optional version was offered with a compression ratio in the 10 + range with higher lift and longer duration Cams and a 4 barrel Carb. and included a better Exhaust Manifold also. Just some interesting trivia. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:03 PM, Rob Hall said:

I like this green one w/ dog dish hubcaps..

images-2.jpeg

This is the one I like to I just per ordered two kits from modelroundup yesterday you can get the 70 dog dish caps from Kevin at missinglink resin this is going to be a nice kit 5 years ago I was trying to make one form the split bumper kit that is out now I had got the full bumper and turn singles and grill from modelhouse but there is a lot more body work that has to be done then you think anyway this is a nice move by AMT .!!!

• 1 month later...