Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1970.5 Camaro Z28 - Full Bumper

Casey

On 10/30/2019 at 4:00 PM, the other Mike S. said:

No tall 3pc rear spoiler though.  So, at best you can only make a '70 1/2 and a very very early '71 with it.

To be fair, it is labeled as a 1970-1/2 Camaro, so the low, one-piece rear spoiler is correct. The three-piece rear spoiler (C.O.P.O. 9796) was not available until after April 20, 1970 according to Michael Lamm's The Great Camaro book.

I think there might be more merit to debating whether or not the front 'chin' spoiler is correct for a '70.5 Z/28.

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The three-piece rear spoiler (C.O.P.O. 9796) was not available until after April 20, 1970

I believe that 1970 Camaro production didn't start until around February 1970, so that is actually fairly early in the run. I personally like the smaller rear spoiler because it's a bit more unusual, but it's all good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, Can-Con said:

Looks like this will need a new body. I hope they correct the top of the rear fenders on this one while they have the chance.

Found a good straight-on side profile shot, and while I agree the '90s AMT body does have visible troughs where the upper quarter panel surface meets the top crease, it's a complex are with several curves meeting and blending in the same place. A straight-on side shot of the new full-bumper kit's body would be helpful for comparison, too, if anyone is so inclined...

70camarosideprofile.jpg.de42fd7e0a98ddb2eebfe5c6b5ffe201.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 8:41 PM, Casey said:

To be fair, it is labeled as a 1970-1/2 Camaro, so the low, one-piece rear spoiler is correct. The three-piece rear spoiler (C.O.P.O. 9796) was not available until after April 20, 1970 according to Michael Lamm's The Great Camaro book.

I think there might be more merit to debating whether or not the front 'chin' spoiler is correct for a '70.5 Z/28.

You can always opt to leave the front chin spoiler in the parts box since many did not come with them back in the day.  Almost every (over) restored example I see today seems to have one though. lol!  Offering only the early style short rear spoiler, you're basically stuck making a very early '70.5 unless you pirate the tall version from the BM kit or get a resin copy. 

When the tall 3-piece spoiler eventually became an option, it actually became more popular than the low version and they eventually phased it out at the start of the '71MY.   I just feel the full bumper front end looks better with the tall rear spoiler.  And, since the full bumper and RS style front end lasted into '73 with minimal changes, the tall rear spoiler offers a more average representation of these cars.  Whenever I saw an early 2nd generation F-body Camaro Z28 back in the day, they always had the tall rear spoiler.   

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Got mine yesterday, took a couple pics of the new parts and to show the differences from the previous RS front body. 

Thanks for the up-close preview . My copy should be arriving this week (not that I'm in any terrible hurry) . 

It appears that Round2 cleaned up the headlight bucket region as well --- looks good .

Are the parking lamp lenses moulded clear or are they plated ? 

8 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks for the up-close preview . My copy should be arriving this week (not that I'm in any terrible hurry) . 

It appears that Round2 cleaned up the headlight bucket region as well --- looks good .

Are the parking lamp lenses moulded clear or are they plated ? 

Yeah, and looking at the RS body I see an issue w/ the headlight buckets...there is a shape difference from right to left.   The parking lights are smooth clear pieces. 
Another change seen on the chrome tree is that they threw I a set of those generic 5 spoke mags they have put in several kits in recent years.  And also the white letter Goodyear Polyglas GT tires  

F63300AE-3453-4CBF-ADD7-5C997208774A.jpeg

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Round2 cleaned up the headlight bucket region as well --- looks good .

That has always been my frustration with the 70 Camaro kit....the headlight buckets are totally unconvincing. So this has improved with this kit? Anyone have pictures with the headlights in yet? 

I got mine a few days ago. Haven't even opened the box yet. I love those early second generation Camaros and Firebirds. As for AMT's new 70 1/2 Camaro, I built the RS version a few years ago. I loved the way that kit turned out. Since this new non-RS Camaro is basically the same as the RS kit, I know I'll be happy with this one too. 

By the way, just today, HPIguy (Chris) did a wonderful review and build of this kit. I always enjoy watching his builds. And I love his attitude about building models. "Build what you like." I'm taking that advice more and more to heart Chris. And I'm worrying less and less about whether my kits impress other people out there. In general they do not. But, I'm having fun. And I like them in the end. 

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

By the way, just today, HPIguy (Chris) did a wonderful review and build of this kit.

The Antique Bronze looks great !  I enjoy his build-review videos ---ball-busting critics be ___________--- for a multitude of reasons . I only wish that he'd have painted the intake manifold aluminium , and the air cleaner base semi-gloss black ; otherwise , another fun build .

( " Before I hose it down with paint , ruining it forever... " , made me laugh aloud )   

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

The Antique Bronze looks great !  I enjoy his build-review videos ---ball-busting critics be ___________--- for a multitude of reasons . I only wish that he'd have painted the intake manifold aluminium , and the air cleaner base semi-gloss black ; otherwise , another fun build .

( " Before I hose it down with paint , ruining it forever... " , made me laugh aloud )   

"Before I hose it down with paint, ruining it forever." And in several reviews he'll talk about things being "yummy." Etc. I love Chris' sense of humor. It reminds me of the type of humor I grew up with, mainly with my uncles and cousins. Not overly sophisticated. You don't have to be too cool to get "it." And it's not aimed at putting somebody down. I hope I can someday meet Chris face to face. He lives not that far away. Maybe he'll consider coming to a NNL North meet sometime. It would be nice to let him know how much I enjoy his reviews, bringing some nice, simple, sometimes corny joy into my life. Thanks Chris. 

The tall spoiler was raced in the '70 Trans Am series.  Find a picture of the The one year only Chaparral Camaro team. I think they were not allowed until the second or third race of the . I received an AMT '70 Camaro for my birthday in 1970 and crudely scratch built a tall spoiler when I built it a a TA car.  I started the model on the day Bruce McLaren was killed:  June 2 1970. 

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

He ostensibly doesn't let the negative folks deter him ; he gets a chuckle out of their snarky remarks . 

I've actually learnt some techniques from him . I enjoy his sense of adventure , trying new products  and the such . 

He's a good ambassador for the hobby,  no stress just fun, what it should be all about, and manufacturers noticed and are sending him advance copies of new kits for him to review and build.

Are these builds show stoppers, nope,  but that's not the purpose or goal of his clips.

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

He ostensibly doesn't let the negative folks deter him ; he gets a chuckle out of their snarky remarks . 

I've actually learnt some techniques from him . I enjoy his sense of adventure , trying new products  and the such . 

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

He's a good ambassador for the hobby,  no stress just fun, what it should be all about, and manufacturers noticed and are sending him advance copies of new kits for him to review and build.

Are these builds show stoppers, nope,  but that's not the purpose or goal of his clips.

Yea he’s one of good ones. I’ve not only learned some new techniques from him. But, slowly relearning to accept that this hobby should be fun. And stop worrying about being as good as other people. 

On 12/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, DukeE said:

Thank god you said reliable, no cap. LOL

Isn't the Pontiac OHC-6 an all aluminum slant 6? I don't recall it being based on the Stovebolt 6 

No. It the dimensions of the stovebolt block, they say, had a different cast iron block and the entire top end was completely different.  Single overhead cam.  It was available beginning in 1966 displacing 230 cubic inches.  In 1968 it grew to 250 cubic inches.  The base engine had a 1 barrel carb and for the Firedbird the Sprint version had a 4 barrel carb, 1967 thru 1969.  The OHC six was only produced for those 4 years.