Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1970.5 Camaro Z28 - Full Bumper

Casey

7 hours ago, Eddie Cremer said:

No. It the dimensions of the stovebolt block, they say, had a different cast iron block and the entire top end was completely different.  Single overhead cam.  It was available beginning in 1966 displacing 230 cubic inches.  In 1968 it grew to 250 cubic inches.  The base engine had a 1 barrel carb and for the Firedbird the Sprint version had a 4 barrel carb, 1967 thru 1969.  The OHC six was only produced for those 4 years. 

The OHC six was also used in the Tempest, and there was a Sprint version with the 4-barrel carb engine.

3 hours ago, sfhess said:

The OHC six was also used in the Tempest, and there was a Sprint version with the 4-barrel carb engine.

Too bad that Pontiac (et al.) dropped the OHC 6 after '69 . That engine would've served them well in the 70's , esp. during the energy crisis of late '73-1974 and '79-'80 .

On 9/11/2020 at 12:56 AM, 1972coronet said:

Too bad that Pontiac (et al.) dropped the OHC 6 after '69 . That engine would've served them well in the 70's , esp. during the energy crisis of late '73-1974 and '79-'80 .

You sometimes question decisions like that.  Pontiac obviously spent a good deal of money developing that engine, then only built it 4 years.  My first car out of high school was a '68 Firebird Sprint with the OHC in it.  I loved that car.  It went like a bat out of Hell.  Pontiac's excuse for axing it is that it was a tall engine, which it was, and wouldn't fit under the hood of the second generation Firebird without a bubble in the hood or something.   I wonder about that too because they had no problem putting big ugly scoops on the hood on the Formula, or a big shaker scoop for the Trans Am.  They couldn't have done something similar for the Firedbird?  Even going into 1970, I doubt GM understood how badly emissions restrictions and future oil embargoes were going to render some of their models mute over time.

Edited by Eddie Cremer

15 hours ago, Rodent said:

So, this new kit has the same interior as the Z/28 Rally Sport kit, right? So it is a "Custom" interior with the woodgrain dash and console which is what the Rally Sport had as standard?

It's the "Z23" interior accent group; standard on the RS, or optional by itself on non-RS Camaros.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:42 AM, Junkman said:

So, if one managed to remove the Z28 emblems from the grille [enter hysterical laughter here] and the wings fenders, and obtained a resin set of wheels, he'd end up with a plain jane 'maro, right?
Extra Turn-up-the-Base points for installing a Stovebolt?

That's the way I am building mine.  Doing this one as a base Camaro.  Will use the 350 that's in the kit, 4 speed trans;  both which were available on the base Camaro.  Also will use the spoiler too.  Not sure if you could get a rear spoiler on a 1970 base Camaro.   Maybe use white wall or black wall tires.  Will use the wheels that have the square holes and stock air cleaner from the AMT 72 Nova kit.

29 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

That's the way I am building mine.  Doing this one as a base Camaro.  Will use the 350 that's in the kit, 4 speed trans;  both which were available on the base Camaro.  Also will use the spoiler too.  Not sure if you could get a rear spoiler on a 1970 base Camaro.   Maybe use white wall or black wall tires.  Will use the wheels that have the square holes and stock air cleaner from the AMT 72 Nova kit.

My plan if I'm able to get this kit, is to kitbash it with the BM Camaro, just like I always envisioned this kit back in the day...one day!

5 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

The more I stare at those pics, the more I think the full front bumper looks better on those Baldwin Motion cars.  Maybe R2 will do a full front bumper BM kit someday.  

Back in the day when Ertl released those new tools, I thought it was odd not to do the full bumper!  that way they could've released four different kits from that same basic tooling, so glad that Round2 spend the cash.

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Back in the day when Ertl released those new tools, I thought it was odd not to do the full bumper!  that way they could've released four different kits from that same basic tooling, so glad that Round2 spend the cash.

They were some of, if not the last of, the kits designed during the final years of the actual AMT/Ertl. The kits didn't get released until 2000 & 2001 and by then Racing Champions had owned AMT for a few years and was well on it's way to death spiraling the model business to the point of irrelevance.

The way the tool is designed, it would appear that they probably at some point planned to the full bumper at the time but nobody knew in real time that there would never be the finances or wherewithal to pull it off for another 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...