Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone buy music anymore?

JollySipper

I'm just wondering if any of you guys still buy hard copies of music? I have a Napster account, used to be with Rhapsody until they got bought out.... I haven't bought any music in a decade. For $10 a month, I have access to over 60 million songs on my computer. With TOOL now there, I don't have any reason to get CDs anymore.....

I still buy CDs, but then load them into iTunes on my laptop.  And since I buy CDs mostly from Amazon, I get the digital form of them through Amazon Music...they have a huge selection for streaming--50 million tracks.   At home I mostly stream through Amazon Music (either on my laptop, phone or Fire TV to my home theatre).   In my Jeep, I listen to music on Sirius XM, use a CD, or stream via my phone on Amazon Music.  I also have a thumb drive w/ my iTunes library in the Jeep, but it's slow to navigate through a library of 10k tracks w/ the touch screen.  The CD player being located inside the center armrest is awkward to reach, but I'd rather have one than not have one. 

I do still like having a physical CD---been buying them for over 30 years---but for individual tracks I'll sometimes just buy a digital copy via iTunes or Amazon Music.

Edited by Rob Hall

404.png

404 Error

Sorry. We can't seem to find the page you're looking for.

This is really getting old.  :angry:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I still buy vinyl LP's, got into CD's in the 80's but I still love vinyl more. I have ripped all my CD's to my computer and still make cassette mixed tapes with my vinyl as 2 of my Mustang's have cassette decks in them. I also still buy DVD's and even VHS tapes as they are cheap (talking 25 and 50 cents each) and I don't care if the quality is not the best, I still enjoy watching them. Plus I have been finding movies on VHS that are not available any other way. 

The last CD I bought was a year ago. Robin Williams live at the Met 1986. So now I have the CD, LP, cassette, VHS and laserdisc of that performance. (The VHS has been duped onto DVD). 

I've bought maybe a dozen CDs in the last 10 years. 

Last year I was all set to buy Cher's new album of ABBA covers for The Lovely Mrs. Snake for Christmas, because I really liked what I'd heard of them, and then she went and shot her big stupid mouth off in public about something or other and I decided she didn't need a dime of my money. (Cher, that is, not TLMS. B))

We still buy CDs. They get ripped to the computer and copied onto USB flash drives. The Mazda 3 and the Focus both have USB inputs to their infotainment systems and it is convenient to have 80-100 CDs on that tiny little USB drive.

AFAIK, it is still legal to make a "backup" copy of music that you legally acquired.

I haven't bought a CD in maybe a year or so, but then again I haven't poked around on eBay since about May.  My car doesn't have a CD player, so my CDs (and some vinyl) get ripped to a zip drive for the car.  I've still got a mess of them to do...when the cold weather comes...

Music is my biggest hobby. I still have every cassette i bought back in the day, and I still buy CDs all the time. When I order new vehicles, I make sure the CD player is added. I do have a record player, but records are honestly a PITA; with the cleaning, the storing, the care needed to listen and prevent skipping, changing sides, etc.

I love physical copies of music. Being able to sit down, read the liner notes, look at the pics, all while listening to an album from start to finish. As the artists intended.

I have a Spotify subscription ,and listen all the time, but prefer other mediums.

Still buy CD's and my newest car came with a CD player so was happy about that. Have a ton of cassettes that I made mixes of but recently my cassette player ground to a halt so can't listen at home. Looked online to see about a new one but conflicting reviews have me confused. Have albums from my youth that I still play. That sound from a turntable is nostalgic.

I hadn't thought about it, but I haven't bought music in maybe 8 years. 

I have Sirius radio in my car. It came with a free trial and I kept it as I was driving a three hour round trip to work daily back then. Driving less now, but still have it so I seldom have brought a CD out to the car.

At home I will tune into YouTube on the computer and let it run music videos, sometimes I pop those up on my big screen TV.  My wife has that Google Home that she'll play music on sometimes.

There is just so much music available on demand and for free, I haven't had the urge to buy any!

I have Spotify that I use in the garage or when having the '66 out ~but~ I do buy my music as well especially if I can find it in vinyl,sounds soooooooooooooo much better with the right equipment and I will also buy the CD's of the same...I dunno guess I am "old school" thinking that I am supporting my favorites artist/bands by purchasing their music..

MY 2016 F-150 has no CD player just a AM/FM radio....but has a place to plug in my phone....so ALL my music is on my phone now and I have Bluetooth speakers in both workshops now.......no radio here so not much else to do. 

Edited by Dave Van

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

Still buy CD's and my newest car came with a CD player so was happy about that. Have a ton of cassettes that I made mixes of but recently my cassette player ground to a halt so can't listen at home. Looked online to see about a new one but conflicting reviews have me confused. Have albums from my youth that I still play. That sound from a turntable is nostalgic.

Check Audiogon.  I have an entry level Nakamichi cassette deck that I bought new in the '90s and it's still going strong. 

https://www.audiogon.com/listings?category=analog-tape-decks

If your deck is worth repairing there are still places that will work on them. Could be something as simple as a broken/worn belt.

https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+repair+oregon&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US821&oq=audio+repair+oregon+&aqs=chrome..69i57.15263j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by afx

On 10/19/2019 at 7:14 AM, slusher said:

I still have every Cd that I ever had since I started buying them back around 1990.

Carl, I've probably bought 1,500 to 2,000 CDs in the span of my buying them, but I have less than 100 now..... I would lend them out and not get them back....

13 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Carl, I've probably bought 1,500 to 2,000 CDs in the span of my buying them, but I have less than 100 now..... I would lend them out and not get them back....

I had to stop lending CDs because I had to start buying them back. I have 250 cds and 120 made ones.i have CDs that are not made anymore....