Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any 1/24 or 1/25 Corvette XP-87 kits?

1 hour ago, aurfalien said:

Thanks Bill, yep bingo that was the thread that I initially read.

The AMT Mako Shark is indeed a very nice looking kit.

You're welcome, sir.

The Mako Shark kit is a little disappointing, as it has a pronounced 4X4 stance, but the basic body looks very good.

I'd started hacking one, and it's really not that much work to get there...though I'll probably have to do some custom PE to get the hood gills, etc.

After I cut the first one up and did the mockup, I decided I wanted a "stock" Mako to go with it, and I'll correct the stance and tires, but that's about it.

I'm also basing the chassis for the XP-87 on the Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport. Though it's not correct, it's a lot cooler than a stock Corvette chassis.

2063969936_CorvetteXP87chassis.thumb.jpg.5c720684c207d9a3ff5b91ef8445fc95.jpg

Man that diagram looks cool.

I first saw that fuel injection throttle body on Jay Leno and thought it was super cool.

Man did you hear him start it up, wow how cool.  The comments were hilarious, one guy mentioned regretting his high fidelity headphone selection as the firing up of the engine made him jump and spill his coffee.

Such a gem of a car, as are all Vettes actually.  And while I enjoy changing things up and evolution of design and function, the new mid engine design looses the swoopyness of the Vette look.

In fact I thought the Aerovette was more true to form then the new one but I digress.

At any rate thanks again.

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The AMT Mako Shark snapper is a good place to start if you don't mind some serious hack-n-whack.

image.png.1c6e98ab66b865034aa3bf6a2ea262ea.png

Worst thing about that kit is that all the panel lines are very wide and very shallow. They look bad but I can't come up with a way to improve them that doesn't involve filling them in and completely rescribing them. The very idea makes my brain hurt. :angry:

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Worst thing about that kit is that all the panel lines are very wide and very shallow. They look bad but I can't come up with a way to improve them that doesn't involve filling them in and completely rescribing them. The very idea makes my brain hurt. :angry:

Hmm, bummer, we don't like brain pain here :)

These may do the trick;

http://www.indycals.net/decals/accessories/panellines.html

3 hours ago, jas1957 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe a guy named Bill Cunningham has created a 3D printed one.  I have been following his progress on facebook for months.  I have no idea if he is making it available to the public or not.

Well he did a bang up job on the casting that Bill had linked to.

I did look around on Shapeways and so far no XP-87.  I believe another caster actually did this as well and am trying to find the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 4:13 PM, aurfalien said:

I sort of recall a caster having this kit available?

I spoke with Bill Cunningham at length yesterday at the Atlanta ACME show, and saw the XP-87 model up close, as well as some development parts, one of the early vacuum molds, etc. He will be selling repops of his work after he gets it fine-tuned just a little more. Look at the ACME Facebook page for info and updates.

He's currently offering a first-generation Chaparral you might find interesting as well.

image.png.264a66a05970897a6a40c3ec450aa29d.png

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I spoke with Bill Cunningham at length yesterday at the Atlanta ACME show, and saw the XP-87 model up close, as well as some development parts, one of the early vacuum molds, etc. He will be selling repops of his work after he gets it fine-tuned just a little more. Look at the ACME Facebook page for info and updates.

He's currently offering a first-generation Chaparral you might find interesting as well.

image.png.264a66a05970897a6a40c3ec450aa29d.png

Wow thanks Monsignor Bill.  I also enjoy your changing avatar, very cool!!!

On 11/3/2019 at 11:54 AM, afx said:

Do you have any info on the Chaparral MkI kit? Where to order, cost, photo of the kit?

Bill Cunningham told me to look for him on the ACME Facebook page for links to additional info, auctions, progress reports on projects, etc.

The kit, as I understand it, is just the body. Wheels, tires, and additional detail parts are apparently all available from his Shapeways store (though I may have misunderstood exactly what you get with the kit).

The completed model is pretty spectacular.

Hi everyone!  Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, I have mastered an XP-87.  I originally created molds for vac forming and made the model you have seen.  The digital files are being  converted for 3D printing.  So far the results are promising, but not exactly a Tamiya kit?.  This will be a project for the experienced scratch builder.  Hoewever, it will be way easier than converting a Maco Shark!.  There is still work to be done, but I expect to have the body ready for sale in the next few months.  The way I have decided to do this is offer the essential parts, the body and windshields, for sale on Ebay.  Everything else will be available from my Shapeways shop.  Wheels, tires, full interior, etc.  You may use these parts is supposedcratch them yourself.  Please go to Shapeways and search " chaparral bilingham" to see what I'm up to.  Also, if you follow the ACME site on facebook, I will update progress and announce Ebay auctions.  This way I have offered the Chaparral body, and folks seem to be well pleased.

Bill Cunningham