Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Lincoln cruiser

BIGTRUCK

This is the one I should have walked away from but this resin body was only $10 and I really like the subject. First I got the grille opened up and beefed it up where the pinholes caused the grille to crack in spots. The back half of the body and from the center of the doors down is nice resin, the front end , roof and door tops will take more work. The hood is thick and with the work I did so far it almost fits right , inner fenders and firewall rough and need work. AMT 49 Mercury will be the donor, and leaning towards a mild custom. This ones gonna take a lot of coffee.?

B6E1E1F5-AE59-40AD-A883-F71721E1E585.jpeg

29EB2144-0AFC-402D-AAE9-8D134DE5D93C.jpeg

4541A646-3B35-42CA-9BC0-2EA1099161CE.jpeg

D0C8185D-DD18-4FF9-A321-CF9A5B7C3EC3.jpeg

A7647582-1EF3-4216-B06F-4497A04EF926.jpeg

C78AC4D3-7EB8-4845-BD16-430E5E9B656E.jpeg

Well now you know why they were $10. Big challenge with this one. The overall appearance and shape of the body looks good. You can see the Mercury roots in this body just like the 1:1. This will be interesting to watch.  

21 hours ago, BIGTRUCK said:

Dont know, last weekend at the NNL 40  there was  a  vendor that had 4 big tubs of assorted resin bodies for $10 each.

I bought some bodies from him as well. That was RMR who bought the old molds from R&R after Ray parsons died a few years ago and his wife sold the business assets. Ray's stuff tended to be crude sometimes so that might have been one of his pieces. I got a '48 Chevy four door master sedan , a '61 Chevy flat top two door sedan and a custom coupe that Might have been based on a Galaxie '48 Chevy. That one was so dirty that I soaked it in soapy water and scrubbed it with a finger nail brush to get it clean.

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

I bought some bodies from him as well. That was RMR who bought the old molds from R&R after Ray parsons died a few years ago and his wife sold the business assets. Ray's stuff tended to be crude sometimes so that might have been one of his pieces. I got a '48 Chevy four door master sedan , a '61 Chevy flat top two door sedan and a custom coupe that Might have been based on a Galaxie '48 Chevy. That one was so dirty that I soaked it in soapy water and scrubbed it with a finger nail brush to get it clean.

Ray's son was at NNL and introduced himself to me.  I told him the story of the last time I saw Ray, he was a spectator at NNL East and he seemed really happy.  He was pleased with the memory!  

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

Ah....ok, I think he was at the Motor City NNL last year . I was with Dean Milano there too and he did mention items looked like R&R stuff.

I think I got this bodies left fender, grille and hood to where its workable. There are some pinholes in the drivers side drip rail left to repair and address the front of the hood corners where it meets the bumper/grille , the corners need to be more squared . Firewall and inner fenders are as good as its gonna get. I have the chassis trimmed to fit so Im going to take a break from the body and move onto an easier tasks for awhile.?IMG_20191020_065213943.thumb.jpg.ab0d26dda502075a0faf19071044272e.jpg

IMG_20191020_065457295.jpg

IMG_20191020_065148377.jpg

IMG_20191020_065235081.jpg

IMG_20191020_081423823.jpg

Edited by BIGTRUCK

Trying to get the stance on this boat to look right is an entire new set of problems. I got the spindles where I want them and have 2 tire choices . Left tire is from the Monogram 55 Chevy bel air convertible. Set #2 on the right  from the Revell 48 Ford custom are slightly taller and have a wider whitewall. The rear is only set where I liked it to be .To accomplish that I need to cut into the frame , build some pockets on the topside for the leaf springs to snuggle into. The front part of the spring will be under the rear seat, the rear part of the spring will be in the trunk. I came close to cutting the front bumper out and using the custom ones from the 48 Ford, but I like those bumper guards on the Lincoln.

IMG_20191022_172100343.jpg

IMG_20191022_172003875.jpg

IMG_20191022_173119904.jpg

2 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

Normally I am a guy who prefers either no whitewalls or minimal whitewalls. This car, however,  is absolutely screaming for the widest of wide whitewalls you can get inside the wheelwells. Great project you have going here. I am most impressed with the work so far.

This 

G

On 10/22/2019 at 6:10 PM, mrm said:

Daaaaamn, this project looks like a handful!

would love to see the end result.

Finding hubcaps that looked right was actually the hard part once I figured out tires. But your right , big w/w work with those big fenders.

I was at Toledo and started going through those boxes of bodies, someone got my attention and we had a conversation. Then I forgot all about it and walked off! 

There was so much there that I’m still seeing stuff I missed that I’m now seeing in all the photos people are posting.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was at Toledo and started going through those boxes of bodies, someone got my attention and we had a conversation. Then I forgot all about it and walked off! 

There was so much there that I’m still seeing stuff I missed that I’m now seeing in all the photos people are posting.

Tom I know what you mean, I missed out on two other ones when I went back, but I do have a nice old late 40s Plymouth out of the bin.

I wanted a roof visor and the closest one came off the Moebius Hudson, and I had to narrow that some to get it to fit. Made a rear bumper bracket to accept the 49 Mercury rear bumper, it has the bumper guards I wanted. Drilled 2 holes and plated them for twin antennas. Its slow going and resin is not forgiving if you make a mistake.?

IMG_20191031_163008190.jpg

IMG_20191031_163133181.jpg

IMG_20191031_162756562.jpg

Edited by BIGTRUCK

On 10/22/2019 at 7:01 PM, BIGTRUCK said:

Trying to get the stance on this boat to look right is an entire new set of problems. I got the spindles where I want them and have 2 tire choices . Left tire is from the Monogram 55 Chevy bel air convertible. Set #2 on the right  from the Revell 48 Ford custom are slightly taller and have a wider whitewall. The rear is only set where I liked it to be .To accomplish that I need to cut into the frame , build some pockets on the topside for the leaf springs to snuggle into. The front part of the spring will be under the rear seat, the rear part of the spring will be in the trunk. I came close to cutting the front bumper out and using the custom ones from the 48 Ford, but I like those bumper guards on the Lincoln.

IMG_20191022_172100343.jpg

IMG_20191022_172003875.jpg

IMG_20191022_173119904.jpg

I agree with your decision on keeping the original in place they are part of the  Lincoln's original design and personality.