Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Engine Blue vs Mecom Lola t70

I've read that "Pontiac Engine Blue" is a good match for Mecom Blue as used on the Lola T70 spider that's on the bench. The Testors version looks way too pale to me... were there several versions of the colour? Is there a better match to the darker metallic blue seen here:

45178784165_daf59dc427_b.jpg

which looks a lot more like one of the Cobra metallic blues I already have...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

I can't see your picture.

ETA: So I did some google-imaging and found Lola T70s in just about every shade of blue, but none as light as Pontiac Engine Blue. 

Take a look at Testor/Model Master Nassau Blue. It's very similar to several of the Lolas I saw. 

Edited by Snake45

My experience helping a friend get the head bolts out of his Pontiac is that the metallic color in Ace's photo is the right color.  Car in first post is pretty dark compared to that.   And darker thant he blues used on the Mecom GS Vettes.  Surely somewhere there is a reference?  I think Testors did an Olds engine blue that is not as dark as the Arctic Blue?  Good luck figuring it out.

Where's Gramps?  he knows stuff like this...

51 minutes ago, randyc said:

I think Testors did an Olds engine blue that is not as dark as the Arctic Blue? 

Yes they did (probably still do, but I can't get it locally anymore) and it's lovely stuff. I've used it for '67 Chevy Marina Blue, '69 Chev Lemans Blue and similar medium metallic blues. 

On 10/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, Snake45 said:

Yes they did (probably still do, but I can't get it locally anymore) and it's lovely stuff. I've used it for '67 Chevy Marina Blue, '69 Chev Lemans Blue and similar medium metallic blues. 

I could probably put my hands on a couple new bottles of you ever need.  I have leftovers from the hobby shop days.  Maybe that's a trade if you find something at the toy show... You have my email... Lol

On 10/18/2019 at 10:50 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

For what it's worth, there are actually two Pontiac "engine" blues. One is metallic, one is not.

On my monitor, these are pretty accurate. Your mileage may vary.

image.png.b18670be603aed47fa542b8fbb13d9f3.png

image.png.661933af0430d20c1b87cbb6729c2086.png

What paints have you found that match these two colors the best?

13 hours ago, djflyer said:

What paints have you found that match these two colors the best?

Testors will match the metallic fairly well.   I mean, for me, it's an engine in a model car.   If someone were to call me out for it, I'd say prove it ain't so.  I mean they used more than one mix I'm sure.  Kinda like the 16 (or whatever) variations of Wimbledon white.  I use an airbrush for it since the paint does weird things when applied wiith brush, due to its translucency.