Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy Grail build.....the INVADER!

Dann Tier

Looking great Dann. From your pictures and what it looks like you were pointing out perhaps your rear axle isn't centered and the motors sit too far forward? Also the one looks to be hitting the body. A bit of adjustments in your future? No hill for a climber though. Keep it up.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Well this a little different for you! I usually pay close attention when I see your posts, and I don't think I remember seeing you build anything but European exotics.

Safe to assume that kit suspension (and the rest of the kit for that matter) is going to be completely rebuilt to "Dann-spec?"

On 10/24/2019 at 5:09 PM, Dann Tier said:

New update here, everyone!;

-Photo 1; These bits are all glued together with canopy glue so that i can SB everything else.

-Photo 2; This shows why the framing doesnt fit properly in the body...the tranny is rubbing against the interior tub rail...i will notch it out.

-Photo 3&4; These photos show how the tranny-rub messed with the allignment of things...

-Photo 5&6; better alignment starting...

-Photo 7;Now its time to change the rear axle...it may be like this on the real car, but i dont like it, so i'm gonna move it forward into center.

-Photo 8; Firewall is flush...

-Photo 9; Heres the notch for tranny clearance...

-Photo 10;  I also decided that i didnt want a Hot rod stance, so i cut off most of the bump-stops in order to lower the suspension.

DSCF8796.JPG

DSCF8789.JPG

DSCF8790.JPG

DSCF8791.JPG

DSCF8792.JPG

DSCF8793.JPG

DSCF8794.JPG

DSCF8795.JPG

DSCF8799.JPG

DSCF8800.JPG

Heres where i'm at now...

-Photo 1-3; Here is all the framework done. I tried to get photos of the real one, but only found unconnected bits and pieces.....so i decided to make my own -like thats a suprise, lol. I tried to make the kit shocks look better, but just couldnt bring myself to keep going...i modified Lamborghini shocks that i like way better -with waaaay less effort. 

The differential covers were a joke, and all the parts ones i have were too big, so i still need to SB those. All these bits are still unrefined, and final sanding/tweaking is needed.

-Photo 4; It all fits great -not too loose, or too snug!

-Photo 5&6; Its all lined up the way i had in mind, and i'm going to be using my adjustible wheel spindle technique to get the perfect ride height/level.

-Photo 7&8; I cut open the mouth.

-Photo 9; Here are the engine mounts, battery tray, and radiator...

-Photo 10; To make things easier, as well as stronger, i added three alignment brackets. This photo also shows a SB gas tank, and the Sharpie markings denote where i need to grind a bit away for driveshaft clearance.

-Photo 11&12; I decided to add hinges to the nose cone.

DSCF8814.JPG

DSCF8815.JPG

DSCF8816.JPG

DSCF8817.JPG

DSCF8818.JPG

DSCF8819.JPG

DSCF8820.JPG

DSCF8821.JPG

DSCF8822.JPG

DSCF8823.JPG

DSCF8824.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

On 10/26/2019 at 9:07 AM, Modlbldr said:

Looking great Dann. From your pictures and what it looks like you were pointing out perhaps your rear axle isn't centered and the motors sit too far forward? Also the one looks to be hitting the body. A bit of adjustments in your future? No hill for a climber though. Keep it up.

Later-

You were right, lol.....and a little adjusting did happen, lol

On 10/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

This is a very kool kit. I acquired some parts of this kit many years ago and I used the Jag rear (modified to single differential) on a recent build. Are you going to rechrome the parts? -RRR

I like the kit, its a fun build....when i redo the chrome parts, they will be finished with Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome.

On 10/26/2019 at 12:09 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Well this a little different for you! I usually pay close attention when I see your posts, and I don't think I remember seeing you build anything but European exotics.

Safe to assume that kit suspension (and the rest of the kit for that matter) is going to be completely rebuilt to "Dann-spec?"

You got that right, lol, and yes, i will do the Dann-spec thing. I do prefer exotics, but i also do have a huge muscle car collection as well....with Mopars being my favorite.

23 hours ago, Foxer said:

I'm guessing this must be from the 70's, after my time, eheh. I'm more surprised there was a kit!

It'll be fun watching your touch on it.

Thanks, bud!...you are close, its nearer to 1968-69....close enough for government work, lol

1 hour ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Man this is a cool kit.  Excited to see your end results, should be killer like everything you usually do!

Thanks, bud!!, I have some suprises in store!....i'm working on the body now, and i will say this; it WONT be red...anyone who knows me, knows that red is my least favorite kolor, lol

On 10/28/2019 at 5:44 AM, Foxer said:

I'm guessing this must be from the 70's, after my time, eheh. I'm more surprised there was a kit!

It'll be fun watching your touch on it.

The actual car won the Oakland Roadster Show in '67 and '68, (America's most Beautiful Roadster.)

I think the kit came along from Eldon in '69.