Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy Grail build.....the INVADER!

Dann Tier

I figured that i should sort out this interior business before painting the body, as badly as i want to. Even with flocking, and detailing, interiors that have the seats molded into the tubs, the seats still look fake, so theres only one thing for it -hack'em up!....they looked totally too hard anyway. The other issue was that the door cards didnt go up high enough, so i fixed that as well.

-Photo 1; After making a stencil, it is time to get rid of the molded in door cards.

-Photo 2; More to be removed...

-Photo 3; First step of my removal proccess...

-Photo 4; All kleaned up, but now its time to get rid of those fake, uncomfortable seat sides...

-Photo 5; Time to trace the seat-end so that i can make better ones.

-Photo 7; Time to remove the other side...a bit tricky, but doable...

-Photo 8; I drilled it out, then kleaned it up with a blade.

-Photo 9; I decided to remake the center column at this time. To me it was too narrow, and boring, so i'm widening it, and adding things to it for visual intrest. I forgot to tell you that i also narrowed the VERY wide seats, but you probably already noticed that...

-Photo 10-13; The new bits are looking good....better than the original.

DSCF9016.JPG

DSCF9017.JPG

DSCF9018.JPG

DSCF9019.JPG

DSCF9020.JPG

DSCF9021.JPG

DSCF9022.JPG

DSCF9023.JPG

DSCF9024.JPG

DSCF9025.JPG

DSCF9026.JPG

DSCF9027.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Wow, the things we do to achieve perfection!    I've done that chain drilling thing before and know how challenging it can be  - your results look spectacular!

Not to mention handcarving those side pieces and getting them all so perfect.  This thread will be my blueprint to bring my version home!

Cheers

Alan

7 hours ago, alan barton said:

Wow, the things we do to achieve perfection!    I've done that chain drilling thing before and know how challenging it can be  - your results look spectacular!

Not to mention handcarving those side pieces and getting them all so perfect.  This thread will be my blueprint to bring my version home!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan!...glad you like it!, and i'm glad to help.....looking forward to yours!!

Looking great. I love what you are doing by updating/fixing without taking away from the original idea of he car.

I was also thinking how scary the real car would have been to drive with the 2 engine set up the way they are. I bet it handled like a dump truck also. 

12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Love the work you've done to the interior!    

It would be cool to display it alongside the kit part so people will understand all the work you did there! 

Thanks, Tom!, i can post a photo of the origial interior next to the finished one.

5 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Looking great. I love what you are doing by updating/fixing without taking away from the original idea of he car.

I was also thinking how scary the real car would have been to drive with the 2 engine set up the way they are. I bet it handled like a dump truck also. 

Much appreciated, Scott!  During my research, i found out that is WAS very dangerous to drive....almost undriveable. I bet it did drive like a dump truck. Even for being designed back then, that 90* steering angle DIDNT match the rest of the cars designed.....it looks more like an after thought, so i wanted to fix it.