Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy Grail build.....the INVADER!

Dann Tier

8 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Actually, i'm not missing them....they're in the box still.....i havent finished the build yet.

What I meant was that they were not present on the picture, so oldrevellfan assumed the chassis was done. 

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Wow!! That IS a different looking suspension. Great work so far Dann and thanks for the update. Been looking forward to this one to resume for a while now.

Thanks, Bud!...progress will be more steady now...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 3:25 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

A very stylish show car that you are making your own mark on the Invader. An interesing, intriguing build.

This build reminded me that I think that I have the remnants of an old incomplete Eldon 'Out House' kicking around in the spares box.

Thanks, Noel!, its pretty fun too!...as soon as i'm done primering my 1/12 Countach...McLaren F1, and FXXK bits, i will be back to this one.

• 2 months later...

FINALLY, i'm able to dig into this bugger again!....its not too far off from being done!

-Photo 1; As you can see, its nice to have the bell housing as a separate part, but why is it hollow?...gotta fix that. I'm about to add PE mesh to the radiator, then the inlet/outlet spouts.

-Photo 2; The water pumps actually have decent detail to them, BUT the pulleys, and belts are molded in. Instead of just fixing these, i've decided to just make my own.

-Photo 3; In order to see what kind of clearances i have for details, i loosely added the main bits. The scrap bit of styrene was canopy glued to the top of the engines so that i could keep everything in the same positions as i'm SBing details....makes life waaaay easier!

-Photo 4; I added styrene rod for distributor placement.

-Photo 5; Taking an idea from many race/drag cars, i thought it would be a cool idea to add a support plate joining the engines.

-Photo 6; This is the begining of my custom inner headers.

DSCF9989.JPG

DSCF9992.JPG

DSCF9991.JPG

DSCF9995.JPG

DSCF9996.JPG

DSCF9998.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Gee, that chassis is impressive, Dann!  I started my Invader at least 15 years ago and was going for a fairly box stock build with additional detailing where necessary but seeing this makes me rethink it altogether.  Especially those horrible lumps of engines.  I always thought there had to be two different designers at Eldon, one who did the bodies and basic frame and pretty much got it right, and one who did the engines and running gear and hadn't been allowed to sharpen his crayons yet! I have the Outhouse car and the Milk Truck finished in my cabinet and the difference between the two main sets of components is amazing.  How did one guy get it so right when the other guy got it so wrong?

Continuing to enjoy your very detailed build - thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Cheers

Alan

On 10/6/2020 at 7:03 PM, alan barton said:

Gee, that chassis is impressive, Dann!  I started my Invader at least 15 years ago and was going for a fairly box stock build with additional detailing where necessary but seeing this makes me rethink it altogether.  Especially those horrible lumps of engines.  I always thought there had to be two different designers at Eldon, one who did the bodies and basic frame and pretty much got it right, and one who did the engines and running gear and hadn't been allowed to sharpen his crayons yet! I have the Outhouse car and the Milk Truck finished in my cabinet and the difference between the two main sets of components is amazing.  How did one guy get it so right when the other guy got it so wrong?

Continuing to enjoy your very detailed build - thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Cheers

Alan

Thank you for following!, i'm glad you're enjoying it! I agree about this kit, but i still find it really fun. You can post yours here if you want!...even the other two you built...it'd be great to see them!!!

On 10/7/2020 at 1:31 AM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Extremely sharp build, and you a making some nice progress. I must say, your quality work on this one would almost assure that I will not be taking on this kit at any point. LOL

Thanks, Bud!, dont let me keep you from building it...it would be a great/fun build as boxstock, or detailed without crazy SBing.