Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Dann Tier

Holy Grail build.....the INVADER!

Recommended Posts

Hey, everyone!, a good friend of mine from England sent me this kit as a suprise. Its been on my Grail list for a while now.....lets see what i can do with it...

11956a8061b473e5ca01ec5dd2385933.jpg

DSCF8771.JPG

DSCF8772.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Cool car ! Just what you needed.....another project !  I will watch.

LOL....i cant help it!!....DARN IT!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that you have to pretty much replace most of the parts in the kit, in order to represent the real car faithfully. 

I am in the process of building the Pink Panther from the same series. What a dog of a kit it is!!!! Oh....let me rephrase that. The Pink Panther is one of my many stalled projects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like those older Eldon show rods myself. That one looks pretty mint. The only one I have from that series is Bob Reisners "The Bathtub".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of the Invader!  I've never built the Eldon/Doyusha kit, but judging from photos of other peoples' builds I've always felt that the carb scoops in the kit left something to be desired:D

Kit Parts on left, the real thing on the right.

invader11.jpg4848630070_d31374a1b7_b.jpg

 

Here's a discussion of alternative Cal Custom scoop sources, both kit and aftermarket:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing you build this one Dann. If anyone has the talent to do it right, it's you. Can't wait to watch it.

Later-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold on Eldon's Pink Panther Show Rod kit many years ago. Wish I had not! Built their Milk Truck kit. I still have some odd remnants from their Outhouse kit, the cab parts and some of the moonshine still. I will probably mate these bits to some old model A chassis bits to build a unique show rod model of my own. Look forward to seeing the Invader progress on here. I think Eldon did a Bath Tub Buggy as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I sold on Eldon's Pink Panther Show Rod kit many years ago. Wish I had not! Built their Milk Truck kit. I still have some odd remnants from their Outhouse kit, the cab parts and some of the moonshine still. I will probably mate these bits to some old model A chassis bits to build a unique show rod model of my own. Look forward to seeing the Invader progress on here. I think Eldon did a Bath Tub Buggy as well?

Ive got a pink panther complete unbuilt in the box..... pm me if you have an 62-65 Nova stuff, or cool hot rod stuff. I wont ever build the panther.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 5:49 PM, mrm said:

My understanding is that you have to pretty much replace most of the parts in the kit, in order to represent the real car faithfully. 

I am in the process of building the Pink Panther from the same series. What a dog of a kit it is!!!! Oh....let me rephrase that. The Pink Panther is one of my many stalled projects. 

For sure theres a TON of omitted things, but fortunately, i rarely build things 100% replica...this will be no exception. The plastic is good, and the parts are suprisingly klean for a 1968 kit. The instructions are a whole different thing -the most vague i have ever seen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 5:53 PM, Dr. Trevorkian said:

What a great friend. I'm looking forward to this. Quite an interesting machine and kit.

Yes he is, Trevor....thanks for following!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 8:56 PM, BIGTRUCK said:

I like those older Eldon show rods myself. That one looks pretty mint. The only one I have from that series is Bob Reisners "The Bathtub".

Its a suprisingly nice kit, and all the bits fit VERY well....once you figure out where they go....the instructions arent very useful, lol...that bathtub car looks like a fun build!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 11:15 PM, Spex84 said:

I'm a fan of the Invader!  I've never built the Eldon/Doyusha kit, but judging from photos of other peoples' builds I've always felt that the carb scoops in the kit left something to be desired:D

Kit Parts on left, the real thing on the right.

invader11.jpg4848630070_d31374a1b7_b.jpg

 

Here's a discussion of alternative Cal Custom scoop sources, both kit and aftermarket:

 

 

That seems to be the only built one that i can find photos of. It looks like a decent build, and yes, you are right, those scoops are BAD, but the carbs are too, lol. I will replace the carbs, and SB my own scoops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 11:16 PM, Spex84 said:

Anyway, I'm excited to see this one getting built! :D

Thanks!, its nice to have you along!...i plan on posting an update later today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 11:27 PM, Modlbldr said:

Looking forward to seeing you build this one Dann. If anyone has the talent to do it right, it's you. Can't wait to watch it.

Later-

Thanks, bud!, i will try not to disappoint...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

I sold on Eldon's Pink Panther Show Rod kit many years ago. Wish I had not! Built their Milk Truck kit. I still have some odd remnants from their Outhouse kit, the cab parts and some of the moonshine still. I will probably mate these bits to some old model A chassis bits to build a unique show rod model of my own. Look forward to seeing the Invader progress on here. I think Eldon did a Bath Tub Buggy as well?

Thats deffinitely a unique car/kit.....i've heard horror stories of the warpage in that kit.  There is a Sand dragon, Out house, and a Bathtube in the same series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, everyone, here is my first update.....First i pre-assembled all the bits i could, rough sanded, and threw into the plating stripper (Bleech White). I assembled as much of the body as i could get away with now, but since the instructions arent precise, i will be using my canopy glue to assemble the whole kit, so that i can accurately dig-in, and get things built my way...

DSCF8786.JPG

DSCF8787.JPG

DSCF8788.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool old show rod! I never knew this kit existed; I'll be watching with much interest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool! I'm not much of a Show Rod guy, but I always thought The Invader was kinda cool. You're doing good work with it. If you need inspiration, there's a VERY nice built one shown in the brand-new Contest Annual from the "other magazine." Good luck and Drive On! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really digging this Dann, stellar work as usual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...