Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy Grail build.....the INVADER!

Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!, its time to get started on the bodywork!

-Photo 1; In order to make things more realistic, i need to remove this rather large windscreen contact point.

-Photo 2;  I also decided that it would look much better without this ridge behind the seats...its a visual obstruction.

-Photo 3; ...next, its time to fill in those sides of the Malibu? Bar.

-Photo 4; This is a rear view of that ridge behind the seats...looks to me like an engineering goof-up.

-Photo 5; The door cards need to go up higher ....another engineering goof...

-Photo 6; After cutting that ridge away, i needed to cut the back lower still, to allow for a styrene tab to be attached in order to add a strip of body filling plastic to be blended into the rear deck.

-Photo 7 & 8; All cut-away ready for better things!

-Photo 9; I stated off using styrene to fill-in the spaces. I am going to try a new filler that i learned from someone else for the rest.

-Photo 10; Time to get rid of those horrible peddles!

-Photo 11;Cut away some unnecessary plastic, and made channels for the driveshafts.

-Photo 12; All adjusted, just need to filler things, and smooth.

-Photos 13 & 14; Here is the gap that needs to be filled, and blended into the rear deck. The tab also covered some things that i woulda had to fill -BONUS!!

-Photo 15;  The verticle steering column doesnt fit the design of the car, so i filled in the hole, and i will be putting it in the standard position.

DSCF8866.JPG

DSCF8867.JPG

DSCF8868.JPG

DSCF8869.JPG

DSCF8870.JPG

DSCF8871.JPG

DSCF8875.JPG

DSCF8876.JPG

DSCF8878.JPG

DSCF8879.JPG

DSCF8881.JPG

DSCF8883.JPG

DSCF8886.JPG

DSCF8887.JPG

DSCF8888.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

I am really enjoying your work on this model, Dann,  and it is providing me with a lot of inspiration.  I've got one of these on the backburner.  I got as far as a primed body but looking at yours, when I get home I am going to have to see how much I missed!  Probably the thing that most stopped me on this model was the thought of all that masking to produce the candy red panels on the white body. 

I have already completed a Milk Truck and an Outhouse car and as I was building them, I remember thinking - "Surely two different people designed this kit?"  Seems like the body contours and proportions are darn near spot on while the chassis and running gear could have been made from Plasticene! With my Invader I am thinking of using two Revell Parts Pack Pontiacs because the Eldon versions are highly squintable!!!

Cheers

Alan

9 hours ago, alan barton said:

I am really enjoying your work on this model, Dann,  and it is providing me with a lot of inspiration.  I've got one of these on the backburner.  I got as far as a primed body but looking at yours, when I get home I am going to have to see how much I missed!  Probably the thing that most stopped me on this model was the thought of all that masking to produce the candy red panels on the white body. 

I have already completed a Milk Truck and an Outhouse car and as I was building them, I remember thinking - "Surely two different people designed this kit?"  Seems like the body contours and proportions are darn near spot on while the chassis and running gear could have been made from Plasticene! With my Invader I am thinking of using two Revell Parts Pack Pontiacs because the Eldon versions are highly squintable!!!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan!, i'm glad you are enjoying it!....hope to see yours!....it really is a fun kit that fits together very well. I'm not bothered by the two-tone paint, i hate red anyway, so i will be doing mine different as i always do, lol...i have some suprises in store!

Little bit of an update here. I cant believe that the headlamps were actually mounted on the engine blocks!!......so i decided to move them, and shape them in a way that i think better suits the design. I have simulated LED headlamps for them....should look knarly!! Photo 3 shows the filled in section of the body. For some reason, this bit was screwing with my head....to me it doesnt look even, and squared, but i measured it all over, and it is, lol....cant wait to get primer on this bugger so it stops messing with my head!, lol

46107411.jpg

DSCF8960.JPG

DSCF8961.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

On 11/11/2019 at 4:42 PM, mustang1989 said:

It's been a while since I've been on here but one of the first things I see when I do is this beauty. Like Rich, I don't really follow the custom car stuff very much......but I'm going to follow this one. Looks like you're pretty much throwing the whole "shebang" at this car. 

Lol....sure am!...thanks for checking it out!, and welcome back!!

Hey, everyone!, new update here!.....all the body parts are glued together, and i'm in the proccess of doing the final filling, and sanding!!  I normally dont finish my bodies first, incase i have to modify something, but i dont have to worry about that with this one, so i will be painting it within the next few days.

-Photo 1; I added super glue to fill the main seams in.

-Photo 2; I will be filling the base of the Malibu bar next, and blending it in.....then paint!!

_photo 3; I attached this crossmember for a couple of reasons...1) to make a solid contact for the front of the interior tub, and 2) to give me something to add my SB peddles to....could come in handy when i attach the dash, and SB center column as well.

-Photo 4; I needed to put a new rear interior tab on.

-Photo 5; I made sure that i left just enough space with the interior crossmember, so that the tab i added to the firewall would still fit.

-Photo 6; Another view of the rear interior tab in place...

-Photo 7; ....and another view of the interior crossmember. 

DSCF8979.JPG

DSCF8980.JPG

DSCF8981.JPG

DSCF8982.JPG

DSCF8983.JPG

DSCF8984.JPG

DSCF8985.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Even though my butts getting kicked by a cold, i still managed to plug away a bit. I have everything filled in, and sanded...whilst doing that, i noticed that the tailight in the kit was made upside down, with the wrong body line angle.....sooo, i made a new one

-Photo 1; I started with a sheet of clear styrene that i left slightly smaller all way round to compensate for paint thickness....you dont wanna try to install it with zero tolerance!!

-Photo 2; In order to keep it from slipping through, i made it go all the way back and touch the back of the interior tub.

-Photo 3; While it was in place, i traced out the shape, and cut it.

-Photo 4; This is what the light is suppose to look like...the kit had the opening upside down.

-Photo 5; This is what i'm painting the body with.

DSCF8989.JPG

DSCF8990.JPG

DSCF8991.JPG

images.jpg

DSCF8986.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier