Model Cars Magazine Forum
Mahogany Rush

NYPD Police Fury

Anyone have one of these? Company is Yodel I believe and may be a Dodge Monaco or Plymouth Fury modeled in medium blue. Thanx

Had it but sold it 10 or so years ago, believe me when I say the box-art is the best part of this kit.

If it helps, know that the Goodyear Radial GT tires commonly found within the Monogram Challenger T/A plastic kits (amongst a great many others) can be combined with the Yodel stamped steel wheels to come up with a far better look.  The Yodel rubber tires are a bit agricultural, while replacing them really helps the kit.  Indeed - the box art on these models is really good, while know the contents aren't all that terrible either.  Hoping you'll find/source that which you need...

Mike K./Swede70

I know Johan put one out as I have one. Can build 4 different police versions if I remember correctly.

Other than the box art, another good thing about this kit: it comes with both Dodge and Plymouth grilles and tail lights.  At least my kit does. It's the California Highway Patrol version.

And another bad thing: the front seat back is hollow.  Pretty easily fixed with a piece of sheet plastic, but still...

21 hours ago, Mahogany Rush said:

Anyone have one of these? Company is Yodel I believe and may be a Dodge Monaco or Plymouth Fury modeled in medium blue. Thanx

Not mine, just a visual reference:

82814442_YodelYPM-2-100077Fury.jpg.96d21a8a5eeb188e18281ebaa737eb72.jpg

That's sort of interesting.  The box above lists 4 Yodel police kits: Calif. Highway Patrol, NYC Police, L.A. Police and San Diego Sheriff. But there was at least one more version: Port Authority of New York/New Jersey. Yodel called it "New Jersey Police" on the box.

PortAuth_Monaco.jpg

There are at least two versions of unmarked patrol cars...one Plymouth, and one Dodge. They both have Big American on the box top.The art looks like a hopped up street machine four door MOPAR!

10 hours ago, Bucky said:

There are at least two versions of unmarked patrol cars...one Plymouth, and one Dodge. They both have Big American on the box top.The art looks like a hopped up street machine four door MOPAR!

I thought Yodel released the "American Violence" series, but that was ARII.  1/24 scale kits of hopped-up, jacked-up, supercharged '70's Challenger, Mustang, Trans Am and...1972 T-Bird!

amvio_tbird.jpg

I have the NYPD one. Pretty basic kit, Looks fairly accurate though. Will build it one day.

On 10/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, Casey said:

Not mine, just a visual reference:

82814442_YodelYPM-2-100077Fury.jpg.96d21a8a5eeb188e18281ebaa737eb72.jpg

Yes, that's the one. Had no idea it comes with San Diego Sheriff decals as well. May have to do that one if I get my hands on one. I have enough spare parts to fix the tires and seats issues. Search continues. Thanx for the replies.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, Mike999 said:

Other than the box art, another good thing about this kit: it comes with both Dodge and Plymouth grilles and tail lights.  At least my kit does. It's the California Highway Patrol version.

And another bad thing: the front seat back is hollow.  Pretty easily fixed with a piece of sheet plastic, but still...

Michael,  other then decals would it be a better value to use MPC’s Rosco’s Patrol car?

11 hours ago, slusher said:

Michael,  other then decals would it be a better value to use MPC’s Rosco’s Patrol car?

"Better value" is a tough question and real subjective, but probably.  The Yodel kits are out of production and pretty expensive on eBay. I wouldn't try to find a Yodel kit just to get a set of decals.  As others have said, I'd use the old MPC kit, replace the tires/wheels, and find some after-market decals.

When found, the Yodel Monacos and Furies do seem to get a fair amount of coin right now.

I have both- one of those "BigAmerican" Furies and many. many MPC/AMT Monacos.

The ONLY reasons I have that "BigAmerican" are: 1) it was cheap when I found it at a LHS, about 20 years ago, and 2) the box art is hilarious /awesome (I'll post pics later). Lastly, I will probably cast copies of the taillights that come in the kit someday- two styles are included, I think one style for the Monaco and one for the Fury. They might fit the MPC kit.

I'll probably build a "BigAmerican"-style car (custom wheels, wing, custom seats, blacked out windows) out of an AMT/MPC Monaco someday. I might need to find a "BigAmerican" Monaco box as a companion piece, but I won't spend big bucks on it.

You could seek out and build a Yodel. Personally, I'd put the time into an AMT Monaco instead. The body looks a LOT better than the Yodel (the Yodel body is simpler, and slab-sided). The interior is MUCH better (the Yodel interior is kind of boxy), and the wheels and tires look toy-like. Most Yodel kits' decals are probably yellowed and/or shot by now, too.

AMT is putting out an enhanced California Highway Patrol Monaco very soon- it will have an improved lightbar, wheels and tires. That one might be worth the wait, and even with aftermarket decals, could end up costing you half of what a Yodel will cost you, and will look better, too.  

I'm cooking up other Monaco build ideas, too. I have something like 6 of them I want to build in different ways. I scored a box of about 4 mostly unbuilt (MPC) ones at the NNL East a few years back.        

Being 1/24 scale, are the Yodel bodies and pieces bigger than the AMT/MPC parts?

56 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Being 1/24 scale, are the Yodel bodies and pieces bigger than the AMT/MPC parts?

Yes. The taillights look like they scale out to approximately 1/25, but the rest is somewhat bigger than the AMT / MPC 1/25 kit. it would probably look right on a shelf full of 1/24 cars.

For a hot minute, I thought of trying to throw some 1/24 Revell/Monogram Mopar bits under one to try to enhance it (maybe chassis, engine and engine bay bits from the Revell '71 GTX kit, combined with some rounded inner wheelhouses from a GM A-Body). The Monogram tire idea that Michael has above is a very good one.   

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

The ONLY reasons I have that "BigAmerican" are: 1) it was cheap when I found it at a LHS, about 20 years ago, and 2) the box art is hilarious /awesome (I'll post pics later). Lastly, I will probably cast copies of the taillights that come in the kit someday- two styles are included, I think one style for the Monaco and one for the Fury. They might fit the MPC kit.

Do the "Big Americans" also have the 2 grilles, for Plymouth and Dodge?  Those Yodel parts look pretty nice. The Fury grille has the "Plymouth" lettering in it.

I'm pretty sure somebody on this board shoe-horned the Yodel Plymouth grille into an MPC body, along with the tail lights, and got them to fit without too much trouble.

Like you, I only got a Yodel CHP Monaco because it was cheap. Part of a big package deal of kits and accessories from a flea-market vendor.   I remember when those kits first hit my LHS in Los Angeles.  Some of the box art was striking, like that yellow and blue NY Port Authority car.  Then we opened the box and...uh-oh. Not so hot. As I remember, those kits were also pretty expensive when they were new.

15 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Do the "Big Americans" also have the 2 grilles, for Plymouth and Dodge?  Those Yodel parts look pretty nice. The Fury grille has the "Plymouth" lettering in it.

I'm pretty sure somebody on this board shoe-horned the Yodel Plymouth grille into an MPC body, along with the tail lights, and got them to fit without too much trouble.

Like you, I only got a Yodel CHP Monaco because it was cheap. Part of a big package deal of kits and accessories from a flea-market vendor.   I remember when those kits first hit my LHS in Los Angeles.  Some of the box art was striking, like that yellow and blue NY Port Authority car.  Then we opened the box and...uh-oh. Not so hot. As I remember, those kits were also pretty expensive when they were new.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SR5UCPW7B/1-25-1977-plymouth-fury-grill?optionId=61561659

I think this is the hot set up for a late Fury grille. Rico is a member on this board, he sketched up some parts for the MPC/AMT Monaco to enhance and / or modify them into the Fury. This grille fits the AMT/MPC kit, and I think it looks much better than the Yodel grille to boot.

Note that Rico also does a REALLY, REALLY nice set of Mopar Cop car wheels, enhanced taillights, and better interior side panels for these cars, too. They have all been shown here in other threads before.

I think I would rather get the better parts from Shapeways and use them on an AMT/MPC kit than waste a Yodel kit just to raid parts from it. I think the Cop Car collectors would show their appreciation for a complete Yodel kit (with $$$! :)).    

The "BigAmerican" kits come with one grille (Fury or Monaco, depending on the kit you buy- I have the Fury. The Fury is silver on the box, and the body is molded in silver, the Monaco is black), but they also come with multiple taillight options, and along with the custom wheels (molded in red) and seats (and Pro Stock style wing & fat Dunlop tires), they come with a stock bench seat and the stock Police car wheels & caps. 

The stock police wheels are ok. You could use the ones that come in Revell's '70 Road Runner and have much better looking wheels for the Yodel kit. The police caps in the Yodel kits are supposed to be the ones with the vents, but they did not do a good job on them. MUCH better ones are available either in 1/25 thru Rico's Shapeways store (link above), or in 1/24, through Fireball Modelworks.  

Here's a link to some pics & info I posted about these kits some time ago.

Again, like you say...the box art is striking, and then open the box...and uh-oh...  :unsure: 

I have made some resin castings from the grille and headlights... if anyone...?!

DSC05441.JPG.67bb3881a7df644da97eaa66bb85952e.JPG

-> Rockinroller@gmx.de

Greetings

Oliver

6 hours ago, RockinRoller said:

I have made some resin castings from the grille and headlights... if anyone...?!

DSC05441.JPG.67bb3881a7df644da97eaa66bb85952e.JPG

-> Rockinroller@gmx.de

Greetings

Oliver

Those look great! To be clear, those are casts of the parts from the MPC ‘75 Road Runner. Those can be used to convert the MPC ‘77-‘78 Dodge Monaco to a ‘75-‘76 Plymouth Fury. The bumper is needed because the turn signals are housed in the grille and not the front bumper like all of the ‘77-‘78’s. 

On 10/19/2019 at 10:20 AM, Mahogany Rush said:

Found one from someone on this board. Thanx.