Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/12 GT40 Mark II ??

vamach1

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

This is the first I've seen of this one! Shape looks "OK" overall, but there's something wonky about the front fenders. ?

Just the same, I've got the Trumpeter kit with pretty much all the aftermarket bells and whistles. God only knows when I'd ever get to building that one.

Same here.  We can bring our finished Trumpeter kits to NNL east in 2025. ?. Of course yours will be super detailed and mine will be mostly box stock.  Let's get cracking - we only have five years to go. ?. Also looking forward to the move Ford v. Ferrari next month.  As for MENG kit - the pre-colored edition sounds interesting as I've only painted something that big a few times and the results were mediocre but that was many years ago.  It's probaby why Iwent through a phase of building a lot of 1/43 kits.

IMG_5963.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Now, this looks interesting:

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=53136&language=en&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=391

01.jpg

From what I've seen of previous Meng kits in the armour and aircraft genre, we can expect something pretty special, and it's NOT a re-pop of the Trumpeter kit...

best,

M.

24 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Is this based on the exact same car as the trumpeter kit? If so I also wish they would have chosen a different one but at the end of the day I am happy as soon as I see a new tool.

The kits both represent MkII GT40's but they are not "the exact same car", they are different chassis numbers.

Image result for trumpeter 1/12 gt40

Edited by afx

It's not the Trumpeter kit, it's their own tooling.

I do wish they had of done the '67 or '68/9 car if they were set on a GT40. Doing another '66 car was kind of pointless.

I get the Ford tho, they either renewed or still had a current licencing agreement with Ford, since they did the 2 trucks already.

TBH I would have much rather has seen them do the 2020 Shelby GT500 in 1/12 or a newer gen Shelby GT350(R) but I think it's silly they went with the '66 since one, Trumpeter did it already and they're set to reissue it. 

Opportunities missed I guess.

4 hours ago, dbostream said:

Is this based on the exact same car as the trumpeter kit? If so I also wish they would have chosen a different one but at the end of the day I am happy as soon as I see a new tool.

All new tool per the maker.  Yes a 67 MKIV would sell like crazy but it's not in the movie.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 1:57 AM, Roncla said:

72554125_2528194493960526_6055965245262790656_n.jpg

Most of this seems off, dimension-wise. The front fenders. The body side not deep enough compared to the side glass. The whole thing sits too high.
Of course, this is likely a 3-D print, but I do hope the final production is more accurate.
Not that it will matter in my world, as I could never afford large scale, nor have the space to display one.

I don't have any Meng kits here myself but I've read that their military models are to a high standard.

Their Facebook page is saying this new  GT 40 kit will be pre- coloured and snap fit which hopefully doesn't mean this is just going to a quick to market toy to cash in on the recently released movie.

Untitled 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Roncla said:

I don't have any Meng kits here myself but I've read that their military models are to a high standard.

Their Facebook page is saying this new  GT 40 kit will be pre- coloured and snap fit which hopefully doesn't mean this is just going to a quick to market toy to cash in on the recently released movie.

Untitled 2.jpg

I guess we will have to wait and see.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:49 PM, Jhedir6 said:

It's not the Trumpeter kit, it's their own tooling.

I do wish they had of done the '67 or '68/9 car if they were set on a GT40. Doing another '66 car was kind of pointless.

1967 they used both the Mk II and MK IV, both with dual carb 427's and it was the last year Ford officially entered any cars at LeMans, the 1968-69 cars were Mk I with small block engines as FIA changed the engine displacement rule from 7 to 5 litres for 1968 and those cars were privately entered, not by the factory.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...