Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Mustang Boss 351

Tom99

1971 Mustang Boss 351. It's painted with Scalefinishes Grabber Lime.
I started with an partially built original AMT annual 1971 Mach 1 kit.
Digging into the parts box, I found the needed missing parts.
I had to scratch build the Ram Air Box, Air Cleaner, the front
Air Dam, and the rear Spoiler. Some of the decals are from Firebird Design,
and some I had to make.

100_3128.JPG

100_3129.JPG

100_3130.JPG

• Like 1

Great job by adding the extras like the ram air setup which was never available in a kit.  I've been adding the side mirrors to all the 71-73 bodies I've painted and am slowly finishing one at a time.  A Boss or two is of course of my list.  I've used Keith Marks and Fred Cady decals and plan to use a SMBC Cleveland engine.  The paint on yours looks real nice - I'll have to order some.  If you plan to do any more PM me as I have some unique parts for these year Mustangs including a slew of front and rear spoilers.

IMG_5975.JPG

Edited by vamach1

48 minutes ago, espo said:

Other than the hood prop it's very realistic looking. Great paint work and I like how you did the OEM stripes.  

This build has exposed a big flaw in the AMT and MPC kits.  The front reflector is too far forward.  Not a big deal if the stripes are not put on the build.  But, using the decals from Rays or Marks or Cady is going to bring attention to this unfortunate mold error.  I've attached some picture to show what I'm pointing out. The MPC is closer to being correct.   This is by all mean not a criticism of this very nice build.  Also, with respect to those three decal makers, I think the decals are too wide towards the back of the car.  The decal on a real Boss or Mach1 tapers to a much narrower width than towards the front.   The green car has a reflector "decal" over the molded in area that would normally be painted by the builder.  The last picture is of a body I painted yellow and looking back now I see it does not have front or rear reflectors.  That solves the problem with the decal alignment issue.

IMG_5965.JPG

IMG_5966.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5973.PNG

IMG_5974.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Here's a picture of an original MPC decal sheet and Keith Marks sheet.  The good part is the MPC stripes tapes to be much narrower toward the rear of the car.  The front fender portion on the sheeet extends too far down to the bottom of the car but that can be easily fixed by just cutting the decal in sections since it splits in half when the reflector is.  The Keith Marks sheet seems to do the best job in replicating the correct stripe width.  This sheet also includes the 73 stripes and trunk decal but not the 71/72 trunk decal or Mach1 decal for the fenders and trunk which is available on another sheet (in black or silver).   I hope this helps if anyone if they are considering building a 71 Boss or 72 Mach1 or 73 Mach1.

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

• 3 years later...