Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Roadster Bucket Show Rod

Bernard Kron

DSCF7483-web-1024.jpg
1929 Ford Model A Roaster Pickup Late 50’s Style Show Rod
(more photos below)

For the 2016 NNL West Theme Table I built the one and only Rat Rod I’ve ever done. It was based on the ex-Ala Kart Roadster Pickup body shell that comes in the various AMT 1929 Ford Model A Roadster kits that have been issued over the years. Most of that project involved a style of build and techniques that were new to me, especially the stance the car required and the weathering and rust techniques involved. As it turned out it’s proven to be one of my favorite models and one I consider to be among my most successful efforts. But one thing I wanted eventually to do was to build a “clean” version, a kind of late 50’s A-Bucket show rod. This past month I finally got around to it.

The second version is quite different from Version 1, even if the scratch .built chassis is almost identical. Almost everything else except for the main body shell is different. Instead of a near-stock and rusty small-block Chevy with a single 4-barrel this car has a full-race showboat Olds V8 with six Stromberg 97’s and plenty of chrome. The interior diamond tufted with tuck and roll buck seats. Instead of the dusty stripped down interior of the rat rod. With a candy red paint job and plenty of chrome plating throughout it stands in sharp contrast to my first effort.

Below is a parts list of the kits and materials that went in to this build.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

AMT 1929 Ford Model A Roadster kit: Ex-Ala Kart ’29 Ford RPU bucket, windshield, dashboard, shift lever and steering wheel.
AMT 1934 Ford 5-window coupe kit: Skinny front white wall tires.
Revell Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit kit: Oldsmobile V8, tuck and roll bucket seats, dimpled baby Moon hubcaps, chrome reversed front wheels.
Revell 1932 Ford 5-window coupe kit: Front and rear suspension.
Aftermarket Parts: Stromberg 97 carburetors with SP tops, Oldsmobile Rocket Valve covers, “Shotgun” style lakes headers, 6-carb log manifold and oval gas tank – all 3D-printed courtesy of Chris Drysdale’s Maple Leaf Modelworks (see: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/maple-leaf-modelworks ). Lincoln whitewall rear tires and matching steelie wheels courtesy of Ed Fluck’s Drag City Casting (see: https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/member_dealer_directory/drag-city-casting-/ and https://www.facebook.com/dragcitycasting/ ).
Paint finishes: Chassis and interior finished with Testors Pearl White lacquer and Tamiya Pearl Clear Coat. Miscellaneous gold paint on motor and interior is Tamiya Gold Leaf. Main body and grill shell finished in Duplicolor Cherry Red metallic. Gold striping body sides and back is Pactra Gold Trim Tape. Gold pinstripe decal on cowl from Revell ’49 Ford coupe kit. Miscellaneous chrome plating is Molotow chrome paint.

DSCF7486-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7475-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7492-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7490-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7481-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7491-web-1024.jpg
Presentation-details-summary-web-1024.jp
DSCF7448-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7449-web-1024.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

I'd say you nailed the look perfectly. I like looking at all of the little details from the grill "pulls" to the gas tank. You can almost see the metal flake gold seat inserts. The sprint car style steering looks just right. 

On 10/19/2019 at 8:57 PM, Phildaupho said:

...With pickup in your subject line I suspect your post will soon be moved so glad I saw it early.

Thanks so much to you all. I'm really glad you dig it!

Thanks Phil. Note that after your comment I changed the title. Hopefully it'll do the trick. Wouldn't want it to spend its life in Pickup Purgatory...

Edited by Bernard Kron