Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fuso Super Great Airport Catering Truck 1/24

Always speechless watching your builds come together.  Turning simple items into complex shapes amazes me , and the photos show the details off 

Just looking at building a euro style truck similar to those  used at the Bulmer Cider plant in England.  Guess their a very distant relative to me , after the grandparents immigrated to the US . 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:19 PM, Tesla said:

How fortunate to have reference information like this...if only more of this was available.

Hi Dennis, for lots of cars, truck, trailers and other equipment, this is a very good source.https://www.purplewave.com/.

Just press the button for "past auctions", then select the years of the past auction and the results of detailed pictures will keep you off the modelling table for days.?

On 12/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, Gramps46 said:

I am truly impressed with what you are doing.  The double thickness of the cab is a neat way to capture detail.

Thank you for the compliment Gary!

On 12/21/2019 at 8:41 AM, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

Hermann i'll say it again wunder bar beautiful craftsmanship time and time again.

Thank you for the compliment Vince, and your German is perfect!??

On 12/21/2019 at 3:46 PM, TarheelRick said:

"Amazing work' cannot be used enough to compliment your building expertise.  I truly enjoy each and every update you bring to us.  Watching you work must have been the same as watching Picasso or Rembrandt put oils to canvas.  You sir, are an artist extraordinaire.

Thank you for the beautiful compliment Ricky!

On 12/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, redneckrigger said:

Absolutely stunning work! The way you approach a complex piece like the cab and get it done is amazing. I must thank you, as watching your builds has helped me solve many problems when doing my own building. Incredible building, Hermann!

Thank you Tom, and I am happy to read that this topic helps other people to solve some problems with their own scratch building projects.?

On 12/22/2019 at 8:28 PM, gotnitro? said:

Always speechless watching your builds come together.  Turning simple items into complex shapes amazes me , and the photos show the details off 

Just looking at building a euro style truck similar to those  used at the Bulmer Cider plant in England.  Guess their a very distant relative to me , after the grandparents immigrated to the US . 

Thank you Jeff, for the Bulmer cider plant i had to search, but there are indeed a few interesting ( English) trucks, to build one.?

Hermann.

2 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Hi Dennis, for lots of cars, truck, trailers and other equipment, this is a very good source.https://www.purplewave.com/.

Just press the button for "past auctions", then select the years of the past auction and the results of detailed pictures will keep you off the modelling table for days.?

Thank you for this link! This is a great source of information. Now for a big cup of coffee and my glasses.... 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:23 AM, Hermann Kersten said:

Thank you for the compliment Gary!

Thank you for the compliment Vince, and your German is perfect!??

Thank you for the beautiful compliment Ricky!

Thank you Tom, and I am happy to read that this topic helps other people to solve some problems with their own scratch building projects.?

Thank you Jeff, for the Bulmer cider plant i had to search, but there are indeed a few interesting ( English) trucks, to build one.?

Hermann.

?????just ????Around ????

Guess it's the German in me 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Yes, here it also continues, today it's time to start the interior.

I can tell you, that this interior is not the easiest one, lots of shapes and angles.

First i show you the real interior.....

137.jpg.7684f245ff4f0259b6e6d751a6f43df2.jpg

138.jpg.30beb74fb8ba1a4e893450d5de1cd4d5.jpg

141.jpg.956ae00e75d83e829cc69a6675dc2a20.jpg

Yep, as you all can see, not the easiest one.:lol:

The first attempt was a failure, because the console was too high.

So, i started all over again, as i always keep in mind..."it's just plastic",  and with the second attempt it looks more in proportion.

First i searched in my Actros spare-parts box and picked 2 seats out,  modified these seats a bit,  and made the boxes for the seats what is needed for this Fuso.

The driver seat need some more work, but that is for later.

Compressed_00.jpg.49d7bfcfe302f792d71da28a6048432c.jpg

Then it was time to make the tunnel and tunnel console and had to cut out a lot of styrene parts of different shapes and sizes.

It is really unbelievable how many different shapes there are on such a console.:o

I had to determine the scale, because i don't have dimensions of this tunnel console, but with some comparisons with the height of the seats and door windows, i figured out and estimate what the dimensions should or could be.

Then with a cutter and a lots of patience, it was time to cut.

Compressed_10.jpg.72004c4608d742a749e86937d5e55372.jpg

Compressed_30.jpg.cffc9e332d0f6335db1002c06fb73c64.jpg

With this tunnel console and storage compartments, i laminate the 0,5mm styrene plates, to get the final look of this console.

140.jpg.e49dfcecd21402774596dd597150acb4.jpg

Compressed_20.jpg.f4c19c479aa5c7ba014fc674a63bfa71.jpg

Compressed_60.jpg.977a3ee188bb2c4b9d98a4583f710363.jpg

Compressed_50.jpg.d349378cc3a353d47e416fcf735cb46b.jpg

And the slow progress so far.

The upper plate is not glued yet, because i have to cut out some more hatches.

When this console is in shape, then i will continue with the dashboard, what is also full of different shapes and angles.

That's it for today, and till the next time!

Hermann.

Edited by Hermann Kersten

Thank you for the nice comments guys!!

Today some progress on the tunnel console.

The storage compartments are done now and i started with the rest of the dashboard, to be exactly, the lower side on the passenger side.

On the driver side i still need to make some details in the lower "shifter" area, but that will be done when the cockpit is connected to the console.

Compressed_11.jpg.57d5473caec8b79c253dd5af7e780a29.jpg

Compressed_41.jpg.535af9eb90c3b6f764198964b8576ffe.jpg

Compressed_31.jpg.cec8d346050572cc6e21741a87f0de58.jpg

Compressed_61.jpg.92079fdb094f9bc016baf915bb4eb0dc.jpg

For the cockpit i took a Actros 2 dash, this cockpit has pretty the same shape as the Fuso cockpit.

I taped this cockpit with Tamiya tape, follow the shape with a cutter, and this is the result.

Compressed_8.jpg.ba63c8717404776a3d31fe3ad6610752.jpg

Now i have the shape of this cockpit and now i can transfer it to the styrene and cut the shape for this cockpit.

For the Fuso it has to be mirror side, because Japanese drivers drive on the wrong side of the road.:lol::lol:

Then the base shape for the dash that will follow the line of the windshield, and from here i will build up the whole dashboard with cockpit.

I can tell you, that this console and dash is more complicated to build then the cabin was.:blink:

However, i hope it will pay off at the end when all is painted.

Compressed_71.jpg.52284c36cddf5a8798ff0c35955f6c8e.jpg

That's it for today guys, see you next time!

Hermann.

You never cease to amaze ! Beautiful work and attention to detail, just stunning all the way around! 

I won’t lie, a few of you fellas that make a model out of nothing, at times make me want to quit all together, yet at the same time,  inspire me to try cutting some plastic to make what I have in mind, so, thanks to you guys that make things out of nothing, you are truly an inspiration to many of us here. 

On 10/22/2019 at 4:22 AM, Hermann Kersten said:

I was a bit hesitant in the beginning to post it on a US forum, because I thought maybe Americans were not so much interested in Japanese trucks.

Good model building is good modelling, no matter the subject matter. That's what it's all about!

I'm so blown away thinking that everything your building started out as nothing more than sheet plastic. I see very little pre-made parts you're using. 

Magnificent job!

On 2/11/2020 at 7:50 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

This is scratch building at its best.  Keep going, Hermann!!

Thank you Charles!

On 2/12/2020 at 12:28 AM, tbill said:

You never cease to amaze ! Beautiful work and attention to detail, just stunning all the way around! 

I won’t lie, a few of you fellas that make a model out of nothing, at times make me want to quit all together, yet at the same time,  inspire me to try cutting some plastic to make what I have in mind, so, thanks to you guys that make things out of nothing, you are truly an inspiration to many of us here. 

Well Tom, i hope you choose for try cutting some plastic yourself because your options are unlimited and you are no longer dependent on after-market items, you can make the choice to buy them or make them yourself.

I have to warn you........ once you start with this, it is very addictive, and there is no treatment or medication for this.???

On 2/12/2020 at 1:34 AM, Vince66 said:

Dear lord Hermann that is outrageous just the detail you put in to these builds is mind blowing.

Keep it up H.

Thank you Vince!

On 2/12/2020 at 11:25 AM, Tesla said:

Top notch detailing, excellent photos and explanations! Thank you Hermann!

Thank you Dennis, and i will keep posting photos and explaining how everything will be made.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:04 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Good model building is good modelling, no matter the subject matter. That's what it's all about!

I'm so blown away thinking that everything your building started out as nothing more than sheet plastic. I see very little pre-made parts you're using. 

Magnificent job!

Thank you Patric, and indeed, in some cases i use "small" pre-used parts because sometimes I am a little lazy.??

Hermann.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:37 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

FYI, did you know that those seats look a lot like the ones in the AMT Ford Ranger kit?

Ah, good to know Patrick.......i only don't have that kit.:(

It's not a problem anyway because i will modify the seats a bit, and i saw at various Fuso reference pictures also some differences in seats.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:35 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

A joy to watch an artist at work!

Thank you for the nice comment Brian.

Hermann.

• 2 weeks later...

Herman,

I just went through your entire build thread here. I am amazed at what you are building here .  I assemble models and may at times attempt to modify or add scratch built parts. But you are a true craftsman.

I am an American living in the Philippines . And we see the Fuso brand here a lot. The trucks are imported in pieces and sold as Japan surplus. This due to customs import fees

.Last year I finished one of the Hasegawa Fuso kits. While they are a pleasant addition to the model trucks available. Those kits leave much to be desired . This thread is much appreciated by me.

Thank you for you detailed photos and explanations .

Be Well

Gator

Thank you Marc!

Yes i knew the story about the import of these trucks, today you see also many European brands in the Philippines like MAN and Mercedes, mainly in construction work like dump trucks and big concrete pump trucks.

I saw also often the Isuzu V10-SS with a nice engine sound when this truck start driving, it sounds like music in my ears.:rolleyes:

Also the Isuzu SKW what was a Japanese military truck and now in the Philippines used as a civil truck, nice engine sound and lots of power, especially by climbing the mountains, for me also a nice future scratch project.

Recently i purchased the Fujimi Fuso car transporter, i didn't pack it out, but i checked the kit and from what i saw, at the first sight it looks pretty good.

Yeah Marc, we will see what the future brings, too much projects in mind and only 2 hands and limited time.:lol:

Hermann.

Hello guys!

Today a small update of small and time-consuming work.

I already started with the upper part of the dashboard and have done the passenger part.
In a 0.20 "thick strip I filed 2 air ventilation holes and placed another 0.20" strip at the rear of this front strip.

Then i made a second strip which follows the shape of the cockpit at the end.

I keep this shape a little bigger so that at a later term, when everything is connected,  i can sand eveything at the right size and shape.

Compressed_0003.jpg.56a2401199d42f11f201fc5be873e0f9.jpg

Compressed_0004.jpg.4656ecc39137d7445e32714b6aaf20f6.jpg

Compressed_0005.jpg.eb65e3ed69a89b0f8dd4ce3b2b4a5ebc.jpg

To determine the center of the meter unit, I placed a straight plate on the floor plate, then placed the center console on the part of which the cockpit part overlaps the console , then put the driver's seat in position, and determine and mark the center from the seat.

Compressed_0001.jpg.a9ae6eebaa99df5c6ca7a4fa37baa6e7.jpg

Then the most difficult and most intensive work, the cockpit itself.

With the photos at the ready,  I try to copy these as well and as realistic as possible.
With the photos at the ready, I first filed all forms from a 0.20 "styrene plate.
First drilled the corners with 1 mm, keeping the drawn shape a bit smaller than the actual shape, then cut out most of it with an acto knife and file everything to size.

This is the result of a lot of drilling, cutting, and filing.

Compressed_0002.jpg.d22378b8b6172e0f42f544df80c83719.jpg

Yes guys, it is not much, but i can tell you, quite some time has gone into this work.

That's it for now and see you next round!

Hermann.