Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius/Model king 65' Plymouth AWB box art

Mr mopar

21 hours ago, alexis said:

I wonder what possibilities there are kit bashing this with a Butch Leal, "California Flash" car?

Can I get those big Hillborns to fit the Belvedere?  I'd guess so, but the will be only one way to find out. I'll have to buy this kit too!

Should be simple decal change.

EXCEPT ....This kit appears to be an auto trans. Where as the Leal car was a 4 spd  if memory serves me right

82494418_3276287532400397_90250976290039

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Should be simple decal change.

EXCEPT ....This kit appears to be an auto trans. Where as the Leal car was a 4 spd  if memory serves me right

This issue does come with the Auto trans.  If you want to build a 4 spd version it's an easy swap.  All of the Moebius 65 Plymouth kits are designed to share the same engine block regardless of Hemi or Wedge, Manual or Auto.  So kit bash away between any previous releases.  Speaking of 4 spd cars, I suspect another AWB version may be coming later as the correct 4 spd floor hump was added to the tooling and I believe it's in this release as a separate extra part.

Also, It's a safe bet that some enterprising resin caster is already working to give us a AWB Sedan body to drop right on this kit.   

Now we just need to work on Larry over at Pegasus to approve some Dodge variations of the Moebius Plymouths and we'll be all set.  

-Steve

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

This issue does come with the Auto trans.  If you want to build a 4 spd version it's an easy swap.  All of the Moebius 65 Plymouth kits are designed to share the same engine block regardless of Hemi or Wedge, Manual or Auto.  So kit bash away between any previous releases.  Speaking of 4 spd cars, I suspect another AWB version may be coming later as the correct 4 spd floor hump was added to the tooling and I believe it's in this release as a separate extra part.

Also, It's a safe bet that some enterprising resin caster is already working to give us a AWB Sedan body to drop right on this kit.   

Now we just need to work on Larry over at Pegasus to approve some Dodge variations of the Moebius Plymouths and we'll be all set.  

-Steve

I'm sure that you are referring to a resin caster using the Moebius body to convert it to a sedan and then cast it but there have been plenty of other resin bodied sedans available over the years and I would imagine that it wouldn't take much massaging to make them work on this kit. I have a case coming just for such matters as I have had bodies ready to go for a while now and this kit will speed up the building process from having to use resin chassis and kitbashed suspensions.

Here's a few examples of what I have waiting in the wings.

awb2-vi.jpg

awb9-vi.jpg

awb14-vi.jpg

So, last night I picked up a pair of these and one thing I quickly notices was how much the boxes are bulging on the sides! Yeah, these things are packed tight!

As soon as I got home, I opened the one that was the most bulged and discovered that the body was packed on the side of the box, on its side! The roof was the bulge on the side of the box!! So be careful when you get one and you have the temptation to push the bulge down as you might be crushing the roof!

Luckily nothing was damaged, but I was not able to get the kit back in the box and close the lid, there are just so many trees for this thing. Reminded me of the Lindberg Dodges when they came out. Super tightly packed with little, if no room, for anything else. 

I am going to open my second one today after work and take pics of it. It is also bulged a bit. 

I have a hard time getting most Moebius kit boxes completely closed after opening! It’s a nice problem to have.

The hood for the white car in my AWB kit is either highly polished or clearcoated. It is much shinier than the rest of the parts, not bagged, and a slightly different color. Is yours the same?

According to Jim Schild and Larry Griffith's book"Authenticity Guide 1965 Dodge and Plymouth Altered Wheelbase Hemi Hardtops"  only three of the twelve original 1965 altered wheelbase cars were built with 4 speed transmissions, they were the Melrose Missile Plymouth, Dave Stricler's Dodge and Bob Harrop's Dodge. all others were built with torque-Flite transmissions.

This is the information in the book that's why the kit has an automatic.

Now, what happened to the other 9 cars after the teams had them for a while is a good question... Actually there were only 11 of the 12 originals that stayed with teams the White " Mule" car was  run for a short time by Golden Commandos before the Bronze & White car - that white car went back to Chrysler and did not become one of the Plymouth team cars

On 1/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, Dave Metzner said:

According to Jim Schild and Larry Griffith's book"Authenticity Guide 1965 Dodge and Plymouth Altered Wheelbase Hemi Hardtops"  only three of the twelve original 1965 altered wheelbase cars were built with 4 speed transmissions, they were the Melrose Missile Plymouth, Dave Stricler's Dodge and Bob Harrop's Dodge. all others were built with torque-Flite transmissions.

This is the information in the book that's why the kit has an automatic.

Now, what happened to the other 9 cars after the teams had them for a while is a good question... Actually there were only 11 of the 12 originals that stayed with teams the White " Mule" car was  run for a short time by Golden Commandos before the Bronze & White car - that white car went back to Chrysler and did not become one of the Plymouth team cars

Thanks Dave!! I'll check that book out, already have two of the AFX's!! Keep up the great work..it is appreciated!! 

4 hours ago, alexis said:

Tom, I hope get your Refund. That looks awful. You must have been so upset when you opened the box.

No not really.. more disappointing since I had been waiting since the pre sale. I’ve bought from this person many times. I knew it wouldn’t be a problem. The new one is on its way, and the damaged one on the way back. I won’t be building it right away anyway. 
I should have quoted daddyfink on how he described the box being packed tight, and the body laying on its side in the box. Looks like mine definitely had some pressure on the side to bend the roof like that. 

Edited by Brutalform

Just now, Rob Hall said:

The two I got from Model Roundup arrived fine, but they are very tightly packed...as are most Moebius models I've found... I hesitate to unpack them, not sure if I can everything back in the box...

Yea, it’s definitely a puzzle to get it back in. Last night I tried like four times trying to get the Melrose Missile back in so the box will close.