Model Cars Magazine Forum
ewetwo

Whitewall tires

I'm looking for a set of 4 promo style white wall tires that would fit the AMT Craftsman 1964 Comet.

Thank you.

Are you talking about those solid narrow white walls David, if so I think I have a set..

Are they small promos with the thin whitewall Carl. I bought some small whitewall tires at the past show I went to and they were not  promos so they won't work.

I looked at Modelhaustires and put in a request to help me pick the ones I need David. But haven't heard back. I also need some for my 64 galaxy. But the are not promos. 

Edited by ewetwo

No exact match from Modelhaus Tires, David - but you have options: #250 is an exact match but you'll have to add whitewalls. #265 has whitewalls and will fit your wheels but has a different sidewall pattern. #260 has the correct sidewall pattern and whitewalls, but you'll have to drill out the centers and modify the wheels a bit.

12 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

No exact match from Modelhaus Tires, David - but you have options: #250 is an exact match but you'll have to add whitewalls. #265 has whitewalls and will fit your wheels but has a different sidewall pattern. #260 has the correct sidewall pattern and whitewalls, but you'll have to drill out the centers and modify the wheels a bit.

That is the case with many of the Modelhaus tires.

Occasionally a little modification might be required.

But the product is top notch!

You won't be disappointed!

Steve

13 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Are they small promos with the thin whitewall Carl. I bought some small whitewall tires at the past show I went to and they were not  promos so they won't work.

I looked at Modelhaustires and put in a request to help me pick the ones I need David. But haven't heard back. I also need some for my 64 galaxy. But the are not promos. 

I know they will fit your 64 Galaxy.. so I will send a set no sweat...

On 10/24/2019 at 12:20 AM, slusher said:

I know they will fit your 64 Galaxy.. so I will send a set no sweat...

Thanks Carl. I got them today. I didn't try them yet but they look correct. Did you do the whitewall yourself? 

A guy at one of the shows told me he uses a child's record player to make his. I was thinking a portable CD player but I think that would rotate too fast. 

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Thanks Carl. I got them today. I didn't try them yet but they look correct. Did you do the whitewall yourself? 

A guy at one of the shows told me he uses a child's record player to make his. I was thinking a portable CD player but I think that would rotate too fast. 

Those are factory AMT Prestige kit whitewalls.....

I got the tires from Modelhaus tires. Fit the Comet perfectly. The 1964 Galaxy. I gather I'll have to sand the rib around the middle of the hub caps off. The original tires to the kit have a groove in the middle that the hub cap fit. I guess to keep the tire from sliding off? I wanted to see if they were different than the ones you sent Carl. 

David, can you post a picture of the Galaxie tire you need, or do you not have any? Is it a promo, annual, or Craftsman?

Steve. It's the AMT Proshop kit with the yellow Galaxie on the front. I can hardly get the wheels into the original ires from the kit. You can see the rib I'm talking about in the photos. The original tires have a groove inside but I couldn't get a clear shot of it.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Oh, wow. I have never seen AMT wheels/tires like that. The Craftsman used promo tires/wheels and the annual and Blueprinter (pretty much a Craftsman) used regular wheels with wheelbacks and small wire axles.

I'm guess I'll have to take a Dremel and grind most of that ridge off. 

David I forgot those wheels being like that.they are hard to deal with. Those whitewalls will fit many AMT kits. You will find use for them...

They are crazy aren't they Carl? I can't even get the wheel into the tires that came with the kit. LOL

They will go in there but it takes some work and luck.if you grind them down they will fit the tires I sent. Before you do any grinding put ther picture in model questions I think you can put them in water the tires and warm them up in the microwave. Try the model questions please first....

I know if I take the ridge off the wheels. The whitewalls you sent me will fit fine Carl.