Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will We Ever See The International Transtar Cabover Again?

OldTrucker

I've heard stories over the past few years that the molds no longer exist, and just as many "soon to be reissued" stories. Personally I'm hoping for the latter since it's been 23 years since it was last issued, but I would've thought with the popularity of the kit and constant demand for it that it would've been reissued by now if the molds do exist. At this point I wouldn't even care if they came with Coca-Cola decals as long as the kit gets released!

I spoke to my contacts at Round 2 about the original first-issue Ertl CO-4070A kit when I did my article on all the 40+ "Ertl before AMT-Ertl" kits in the other model car magazine a couple of years ago.  My takeaway is that the "Eagle" cabover will be reissued eventually, while the original 4070A is not a reissue candidate.  Reason being, if you compare the two kits side by side, there were extensive changes and additions for the Eagle kit that are not evident upon just a cursory review of the kits, and personally I don't see Round 2 going to the expense and effort of reverting the tool to the prior status, given all the other projects that they have on their plate at the moment.   The feedback from Round 2 seemed to reinforce this view.  

Then again, as we've seen many times now from Round 2, things we thought we'd never see again have eventually resurfaced.  Bottom line, not likely, at all but not impossible, either.  

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

This is the thread I got the info from, look for Mr Mopars post about 2/3 of the way down.

Click on the arrow symbol thingy to the immediate right of "Repost post" and you'll get a direct link to that particular post. Copy, then paste:

Edited by Casey

On 10/21/2019 at 9:57 AM, Casey said:

Click on the arrow symbol thingy to the immediate right of "Repost post" and you'll get a direct link to that particular post. Copy, then paste:

Nope, as per an insider, Round 2 will not be rereleasing the Transtar 2 as they don’t have all the molds.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:35 PM, Fat Brian said:

So who told the other guy it was coming? That was from official Round2 channels.

Someone from Round 2. The guy that told me is one of the main builders of the kits for their box art or just testing the builds.

• 1 year later...