Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question, rear hump behind driver?

Recommended Posts

That's 0728TR. The '58 Hill LeMans winner. Only non-pontoon fendered TR in the bunch. Sorry, just random history.

Headrest fairing like Pat said can cover rollbar (rare in early days) or gas filler cap. In D-Jag, 250 TR (prob most famous cars with fairing) the gas cap is in there, usual large neck "Monza" style. Tank on TR was usually 32-35g, D-type was 40g. 

I forget similar things. LOL

Image result for what hump meme

Edited by DukeE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup...and "fairing" is an interesting word. "Fair" means pretty when it's applied to a woman, but it also means smooth or streamlined when it's applied to a boat hull, an airplane, or the surface of a car.

There is a verb "to fair", that literally means "to smooth" or "to streamline". It was originally a nautical term, and a very slick hull would be called "fair".

So, "fairing" can be a verb meaning the act of making smooth or streamlining. You don't see the word used much as a verb anymore though.

But "fairing", as used here, is a noun that refers to any part that's used to help achieve a wind- or water-resistance cheating shape that helps with streamlining. You can have helmet fairings,or mirror fairings, or wheel fairings, or wing-root fairings, etc.

EDIT: To this day, there's still boat-hull "fairing compound", which is much like bondo, but made for making boat hulls slick and smooth.


Edited by Ace-Garageguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...