Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yet another garage....

tbill

So, I’ve been wanting to do a garage dio for quite some time, and have collected the bits to start one, not sure how or where it’s going to go, but, it’s gonna be ‘something’, lol. It’ll be slow going, most likely ‘filler’ work in between/during other builds, but I’m finally going to start on it. Here’s the pile I’m going to start with......

E6C9CFEB-472D-436F-92A1-38FC3EF5E3BF.jpeg

Scrolling down through your pics, was gonna suggest cutting the window opening into a door and walla.... Like magic it appeared.... Looks good doing it that way and adding the third over head door.. I'm gonna have to get a couple of these instead of trying what I was doing!!!

18 hours ago, tbill said:

Wasn’t sure how I was going to do it at first, but once mocked up, and after careful measuring ( aka eyeballing it) , a cutting I went . Still needs smoothed/finished, but it’s still in the roughing it out stage.

Looking good so far! Giving me ideas for mine. I started out using the foam core board on mine but over time it’s warped and now I’m going to do one in plastic.. How wide and tall is yours overall? I’d like to go about the width of yours, maybe a touch wider. Thinking of the last bay being taller to accommodate big trucks too..

Hi Tom, we're all gonna enjoy watching your diorama. I just happen to be doing a similar garage diorama with some of the same stuff you've got. I used to do huge, salvage yard dioramas but retired to a much smaller home and ain't got the room: http://www.shamblesmodels.com/dioramas.html

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

Night at the shop.jpg

Edited by Shambles
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, you all are keeping me motivated?

did some work tonight, got the rear wall and right side wall cut to finished height, sectioned off the office and restrooms, then put some junk in it to see how we were looking. Also rummaged around in my 1:1 garage to find something to help make straight cuts on the sheet plastic, came up with a working situation.

plan to cover the restroom area with sheet plastic and ‘store’ junk on top of it. 

have a bunch of small stuff to do yet, but now that the basic shell is somewhat situated, I can really start doing stuff.

thanks for following along on my adventure....

B9CC9879-2A96-4C03-BE23-9AABFC90657C.jpeg

63E4948C-CECA-4E22-9FCB-6EEFFD2DE8F3.jpeg

C8E46F50-76EC-49E8-91E3-475FA824F807.jpeg

D05A1572-2939-46FE-A254-97FE018107C4.jpeg

4540FB40-EFB8-4594-9228-31177C7DC0D1.jpeg

D3B3B664-9F72-443A-B82C-D620D7BC8DFD.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, the second lift was delivered today, so I mocked things up again. Built the bench out of the AMT kit and squeezed it in the shop, not a ton of progress, but having the second lift helped in figuring out what the space looks like.

3336F8D4-B0FC-424A-B67D-A08325A3B45A.jpeg

83266379-406A-46D0-8DC8-E1186FD50036.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like your basic layout. I have two 4 post lifts and one 2 post lift. I like the office space too. I am space limited to 34"W x 11.25"D x 8.5"H. I fear my bays will be depth limited as yours are. I have to make sure it fits in my display cabinet or it will be at grave risk to my naughty cat and future toddlers.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, tbill said:

Well, the second lift was delivered today, so I mocked things up again. Built the bench out of the AMT kit and squeezed it in the shop, not a ton of progress, but having the second lift helped in figuring out what the space looks like.

Tom, where did you source the lifts. I think I am ready for a two poster.