Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fred Cady Decals remaining inventory

I am doing this as a favor to my friend, Fred Cady.  I last saw him at the GTR NNL in August.  Although retired, he still has an inventory of SOME of his decal sheets.  He was selling them at the show. 

I suggested that he send me a copy of his catalog and I would post it on the message boards and Facebook.  If you are interested in any of the decals, send a letter (yes snail mail) to Fred letting him know which decals you are seeking.  Include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope and do NOT include a Check or Money.  Fred’s inventory is constantly changing as he sells it off.  He will respond to you on availability and steps to complete the order.

Fred does sell to some vendors such as Model Empire, who keep stock on hand.  But, as the inventory runs out, no new copies are being made.

Fred’s address is on the order form.

Fred Cady Decal Catalog

15 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

Wow and I thought all this time that it was a fictitious business name of sorts.

That's cool that his actual name is Fred Cady.

How would he preferred to be paid?

I see some really cool decals that I'd love to have.

He probably takes those things called personal checks. ?

2 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I am doing this as a favor to my friend, Fred Cady.  I last saw him at the GTR NNL in August.  Although retired, he still has an inventory of SOME of his decal sheets.  He was selling them at the show. 

I suggested that he send me a copy of his catalog and I would post it on the message boards and Facebook.  If you are interested in any of the decals, send a letter (yes snail mail) to Fred letting him know which decals you are seeking.  Include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope and do NOT include a Check or Money.  Fred’s inventory is constantly changing as he sells it off.  He will respond to you on availability and steps to complete the order.

Fred does sell to some vendors such as Model Empire, who keep stock on hand.  But, as the inventory runs out, no new copies are being made.

Fred’s address is on the order form.

Fred Cady Decal Catalog

Fred Cady is a "stand up" guy as I've known him for over 40 years. He put a lot of effort in his decal business in the past and has made some really nice decal sheets that were used by many modelers as this was way before SLIXX ever arrived on the scene. I'm happy to know him.

58 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

Hmm, I've heard if such things, vaguely.

Seriously though, Gary said to not send check or money order.

Since his inventory changes and he isn't making any more, don't send remittance until he tells what he's got and the price.  In other words, don't send in a formal order until you hear back from him.  Contact him first. 

And, I'm now 2,000 miles away from Mount Prospect, not 11.  So, I won't get many chances to run into him any time soon

2 hours ago, Tundra82 said:

Thanks to Fred and Gerry for doing this, this is very cool. Hope to buy a couple much sought after Gems that I never thought I would have the chance to .

Hopefully Fred still has them.  Not getting any commission, but he a lot of some decals and very few of others.  Worth a try to see.  

He talked about holding it until you follow back with the order.  I can have someone try to follow up with him on how long he would hold something waiting for the order?  Or, you can make that inquiry if you are interested as part of the letter.  Fred's a standup guy.

I find it hard to believe this would be a Modelhaus overwhelming order blitz.  

Edited by Exotics_Builder

6 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

He talked about holding it until you follow back with the order.  I can have someone try to follow up with him on how long he would hold something waiting for the order?  Or, you can make that inquiry if you are interested as part of the letter.  Fred's a standup guy.

I find it hard to believe this would be a Modelhaus overwhelming order blitz.  

You're right.  If I wanted five different sheets I'd give him a few alternates if case one or two was sold out.  Not a big risk here and the turnaround time should be a week, not two years.

51 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

Too bad he doesn't have any one to help him set this up on eBay as that would be easier for him and the customer.

He wasn't interested.  I mentioned that to him, or the selling pages on FB.  He's retired and still has some inventory left.  But, he is not trying to get a retail operation going again.  As I said, he does sell some of the remaining stock to a couple of hobby shop in the area, such as Model Empire.

A friend of mine in the Lake Michigan Model Car Club saw Fred at the Countryside show the other weekend.  He said Fred actually bought one of his decals that he had out of stock.  He has decided he is going to create a scrapbook of all his decals.  Hopefully he'll include photos of the cars they are for as well.  Now that would be a piece of Hobby Memorabilia.

5 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

As I said, he does sell some of the remaining stock to a couple of hobby shop in the area, such as Model Empire.

If anyone s looking for a specific sheet(s), please PM me with the sheet number and a description., quantity you want, etc. Yes, I do need the specific sheet number (413, etc.).

Model Empire's Open House is next Sunday, so I will look then and there if I know what you want.

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

If anyone s looking for a specific sheet(s), please PM me with the sheet number and a description., quantity you want, etc. Yes, I do need the specific sheet number (413, etc.).

Model Empire's Open House is next Sunday, so I will look then and there if I know what you want.

I'm going to miss those Open Houses, even though I didn't get to many.

9 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Hopefully he'll include photos of the cars they are for as well.

At one time Fred did have a catalog with small B&W photos for reference, about 24 or so photocopied pages. Probably have one in buried with my model magazines but haven't referenced it in years. If you asked nice the good folks at Model Empire they would procure one for you back in the day.

When I got word he was pulling the plug I bought everything I thought I'd need that I already didn't have. Since Model Empire is in my backyard I've stocked up on a few more just in case. He had quite a few road racing, Indy and Can Am decals that no one else has produced as far as know. I know there's a number of guys making muscle car stripes too, but all seem to be solid colours. Fred had nice metallic silver and gold versions ('68/'69 Torino side stripes come to mind) that I haven't seen from some of the other makers. Keep in mind Fred silk screened his decals and therefore was able to produce colours not normally available unless you had an Alps printer.

4 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

At one time Fred did have a catalog with small B&W photos for reference, about 24 or so photocopied pages. Probably have one in buried with my model magazines but haven't referenced it in years. If you asked nice the good folks at Model Empire they would procure one for you back in the day.

When I got word he was pulling the plug I bought everything I thought I'd need that I already didn't have. Since Model Empire is in my backyard I've stocked up on a few more just in case. He had quite a few road racing, Indy and Can Am decals that no one else has produced as far as know. I know there's a number of guys making muscle car stripes too, but all seem to be solid colours. Fred had nice metallic silver and gold versions ('68/'69 Torino side stripes come to mind) that I haven't seen from some of the other makers. Keep in mind Fred silk screened his decals and therefore was able to produce colours not normally available unless you had an Alps printer.

I stocked up too on what I thought I needed.  In fact, at the August GTR NNL, I bought about 3 more to keep in the decal stash.  

I love Freds decals and use them whenever possible. He is in my model group, but rarely comes. When I was driving a truck, I would stop at model empire back in the day and he always had a bunch of freds decals. In my opinion can never have to many of freds decals. 

3 hours ago, 57olds88 said:

I love Freds decals and use them whenever possible. He is in my model group, but rarely comes. When I was driving a truck, I would stop at model empire back in the day and he always had a bunch of freds decals. In my opinion can never have to many of freds decals. 

Are you in the Lake Michigan Model Car Club?

1 hour ago, 57olds88 said:

Yes I am. How you doing.

Still in the throes of unpacking everything.  May get model room "operating" by Christmas.  Almost all unbuilt kits on the shelves.  Sorting out the aftermarket stuff (real pain) and dealing with a damaged display case (mover needs to send repairman).  Now a member of Scale Auto Builders Assn.  May be back for a visit in May.  Looks like we may have a buyer for the Palatine house.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, Exotics_Builder said:

Still in the throes of unpacking everything.  May get model room "operating" by Christmas.  Almost all unbuilt kits on the shelves.  Sorting out the aftermarket stuff (real pain) and dealing with a damaged display case (mover needs to send repairman).  Now a member of Scale Auto Builders Assn.  May be back for a visit in May.  Looks like we may have a buyer for the Palatine house.

Sorry to hear about the breakage and the loss of seeing you at the meetings. Glad you may have a buyer for the house. I still havent unpacked since the move to this slumlord place. No room anyway to unpack, and sold most of the stuff of over the last few years. Hope everything goes smoothly the rest of the way for you.