Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cars in Songs

The Little Old Lady from Pasadena song's car in my opinion was a Red 64 Super Stock Dodge 426 4 speed . 

Song came out in 64 and lyrics were "Brand New Shiny Red Super Stock Dodge. 

My version I used the Ramcharger Dodge kit but since it came as an automatic I swapped the parts I needed to convert it to a four speed from the Petty Plymouth'

My next "song" build will be the Hot Rod Lincoln 

Another interesting build would be the Super Stock Dodge withe 413 in "Shut Down"

56910139_10157116066666564_8468618129713397760_n.jpg.961d3316ea4d4f6da414c48ba40b41ba.jpg

Edited by Jon Haigwood

2 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

The Little Old Lady from Pasadena song's car in my opinion was a Red 64 Super Stock Dodge 426 4 speed . 

Song came out in 64 and lyrics were "Brand New Shiny Red Super Stock Dodge. 

My version I used the Ramcharger Dodge kit but since it came as an automatic I swapped the parts I needed to convert it to a four speed from the Petty Plymouth'

My next "song" build will be the Hot Rod Lincoln 

56910139_10157116066666564_8468618129713397760_n.jpg.961d3316ea4d4f6da414c48ba40b41ba.jpg

Jon, interesting.  So was that a factory option?

15 hours ago, Bucky said:

Are you asking for songs about cars, or songs that have a casual mention of a car?

Keith, what I'm asking is what is the "brand new shiny red Super-Stock Dodge" parked in the little old lady's garage?

11 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

In '64 the only Super Stock Dodges would have been the 330 and a few Polara's.

Ah, so that's possibly the type of car in the garage.  Weren't Polaras used by some police departments?  Never really thought of the Dodge 330 or Polara as a muscle car.

Tom Waits wrote "Ol' 55" about his '55 Cadillac.  He also did a pretty funny monologue about it, and buying old cars in general.  Since Don Henley had a '55 Chevy, many people thought The Eagles song was about his car.

Here's an obscure one: the Darby Sisters, "Go Back to Your Pontiac:"

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Do trucks count?  This is completely different than Rush, but it's about Wolf Creek Pass which I've been on many times.  Bet almost nobody heard this before.

"One looked like a can full of worms, the next one looked like malaria germs..."

Sammy Hagar has "Trans Am" and, of course, "I can't drive 55". While it's not a car, UFO's "Can You Roll Her" mentions a Vincent Black Shadow. Neil Peart's inspiration for "The Red Barchetta" came from a short story entitled "A Nice Sunday Drive" in Road & Track, I believe. I have read the story, I just can't recall which magazine it ran in. I would mess my drawers, if I ever saw anyone doing Rush, for karaoke! Good job, by you!

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

While it's not a car, UFO's "Can You Roll Her" mentions a Vincent Black Shadow. 

I was thinking Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" had a Vincent bike in it, but in googling, apparently not. (Maybe he sang it live that way on the version I have--I'll have to check.) But along the way I ran across this list of 11 Best Motorcycle Songs: 

https://www.loudersound.com/features/motorbikes-rock-metal-playlist