Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1963 and 1962 Impala question

This is just an idle question...I don't have the kits at hand to figure it out for myself

Has anyone ever used the more detailed Revell 1962 Impala chassis with the less detailed 1963 Impala?  Will it work?  Problems?  I'm thinking this would be a great way to create a more detailed 1963 Super Stock racer.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I was thinking the Revell '63 Impala had a decent chassis? I have the kit. But, never have really checked it out.

That's true.

The Revell '63 chassis might be a better swap into the AMT body.

The Revell body is a mess in my opinion.

But the chassis and interior might drop right into the AMT body.

Steve

9 hours ago, berr13 said:

This is just an idle question...I don't have the kits at hand to figure it out for myself

Has anyone ever used the more detailed Revell 1962 Impala chassis with the less detailed 1963 Impala?  Will it work?  Problems?  I'm thinking this would be a great way to create a more detailed 1963 Super Stock racer.

Thanks

I wonder if maybe he's thinking AMT 62 Impala convertible chassis under the Amt 63 Impala?

10 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I wonder if maybe he's thinking AMT 62 Impala convertible chassis under the Amt 63 Impala?

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The title states Revell '62 and '63 Impala. 

Revell also has their own '62 Impala hard top kit.

I suppose that I should have clarified that I was using the AMT '62 Belair chassis under the AMT '63 Impala body.

As I stated, If I were going to build a nice '63 Impala, I wouldn't use the Revell '63 as a starting point.

Far too many inaccuracies in the body proportions.

The AMT body is much more accurate.

Revell '62 Impala kit.

image.thumb.png.70c38eaecb690234e72f5c4f07cdfc22.png

Steve

32 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Revell also has their own '62 Impala hard top kit.

Yeah, I know. I was under the impression that the original poster was talking about using the Revell '62 Impala chassis under the Revell '63 Impala body. Kinda confusing when both companies make both kits. 

12 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I just thought this might be the case, since there is nothing wrong with the Revell 63 Impala chassis.

Why would anyone go through the trouble of swapping a chassis when it's not needed?

However, the AMT 63 Impala Chassis isn't that good, and the 62 convertible chassis is much better, I thought that would make more sense. I apologize for trying to make sense.

Oh yeah, I know what the title states, and I know Revell has a 62 Impala.

58 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

I just thought this might be the case, since there is nothing wrong with the Revell 63 Impala chassis.

Why would anyone go through the trouble of swapping a chassis when it's not needed?

However, the AMT 63 Impala Chassis isn't that good, and the 62 convertible chassis is much better, I thought that would make more sense. I apologize for trying to make sense.

Oh yeah, I know what the title states, and I know Revell has a 62 Impala.

I agree.

I can't imagine that there would be much difference between the Revell '62 and '63 Impala chassis.

Steve

The Revell '63 Impala Chassis does have some detail issues with the suspension, which look like they can be fixed without too much difficulty by swapping components from the '64 Impala and probably the '62, as well, but I don't have that one, so I can only guess about that one.

Out of curiosity, I pulled out my Revell '63 Impala to check it out. As Sam stated, the only issue with the chassis  is the suspension. Easily fixed by simply wrapping an appropriate sized wire around the rods that they have in place of the springs. What I thought was cool about it is the adjustable ride height. It even has a separate frame that neither the AMT or Revell '62 Impala has.