Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Pennzoil Nissan Skyline R34

lghtngyello03

I have had this kit for years now and I have been dying to work up the nerve to try my hand at it. 

I will be trying to get as much detail as I can without going overboard and taking forever on it. I have done a good bit of research and can’t find many pics but what I have found has been very useful thus far. 

I have never built a race car or dealt with all these decals before so wish me luck on an old kit like this. 

The first couple of days was tedious work of cutting everything off of the sprue and sanding Off molding lines, and drilling tiny holes in each part to paint properly. Also, built and test fit the roll cage.

The body was pretty good minus a couple of pretty serious mold lines, plus I had to fill the holes on the spoiler end pieces with superglue and keep sanding until it was smooth. As shown in my pic, all were smooth except one last stubborn one .

I did get everything that is going to be silver or yellow primed in Tamiya White primer and everything that is to be black primed in Tamiya Gray Primer. 

Anyway, onto the pics. 

4FDAAA4C-F3B9-4858-8877-C080292090BC.jpeg

C40448CA-C224-426B-A61A-3D74F08471ED.jpeg

355D0728-4C1A-4B35-9EB3-829118FE6C94.jpeg

B45A2E1E-20DF-4C90-9D4B-BB224F7E93A2.jpeg

092DC031-E926-4AF9-92AB-BBADD4A2326B.jpeg

347A3B12-9D2F-49C0-A97F-C2CD39ADACED.jpeg

7C7B1399-DB95-4BB6-8E8D-003D00D9340D.jpeg

614574E2-1D04-4EC9-B550-3AB03E531D15.jpeg

C7E0648D-0E5C-4CBD-AA64-F30C626BDAFC.jpeg

F93C9996-DB7F-49F3-A68B-854F6F68F302.jpeg

5B916070-6EF2-4112-93D0-E668B94C552C.jpeg

139656B3-80A5-4F6C-9007-DF4E0FDF0059.jpeg

C6201974-5258-4800-9C4F-20DD3200A75A.jpeg

733FB0DB-410E-4025-B16F-83A231DB0AE8.jpeg

Edited by lghtngyello03

Great start Scott. I love this car, well all Skylines. They're my favourite JDM car.

I started this kit myself last year but my decals unfortunately fell apart during application. I was unable to find new ones so its been sitting in a box for a year now. Well luckily just recently Shunko released the '98 and '99 sets. My new decals just came in this week so I need to get back to mine.

Check your decals, you might need to spray them with some decal bonder. Or keep an eye out for the Shunko ones just in case. I got mine from Hong Kong, but Hiroboy and Spotmodel have them listed as incoming stock. 

Looking forward to the next update.

55 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Great start Scott. I love this car, well all Skylines. They're my favourite JDM car.

I started this kit myself last year but my decals unfortunately fell apart during application. I was unable to find new ones so its been sitting in a box for a year now. Well luckily just recently Shunko released the '98 and '99 sets. My new decals just came in this week so I need to get back to mine.

Check your decals, you might need to spray them with some decal bonder. Or keep an eye out for the Shunko ones just in case. I got mine from Hong Kong, but Hiroboy and Spotmodel have them listed as incoming stock. 

Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been terrified of this kit and the Xanavi Skyline that I have due to the decals being so old. Shunko makes some awesome decals, I just got some for my TME Evo that I just finished up.

When did yours fall apart? As soon as they hit water, or when you were applying a decal solution like mico sol? Also what seller did you get yours from in Hong Kong? I would like to buy a backup set...as I want to have this one finished up by January for a local show.

Edited by lghtngyello03

2 hours ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have been terrified of this kit and the Xanavi Skyline that I have due to the decals being so old. Shunko makes some awesome decals, I just got some for my TME Evo that I just finished up.

When did yours fall apart? As soon as they hit water, or when you were applying a decal solution like mico sol? Also what seller did you get yours from in Hong Kong? I would like to buy a backup set...as I want to have this one finished up by January for a local show.

They were fine in the water, it was when they were on the body and I was removing the excess water from them. I didn't even get to the setting solution. The thin black lines that go along the rockers above where you mask and paint the black those pretty much fell apart coming off the decal paper.

I got mine from Hobby Easy https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/49ofjj8ptl3ayy09u1h8.html  he's sold out on the '99 already. Hiroboy has them coming in soon, I'd guess by the end of the week or next week they should have them. The guy at Hobby Easy always gets the Shunko stuff in first. Hiroboy is good tho, I just ordered from them last night after they were closed and my order was processed and shipped out first thing this morning. https://www.hiroboy.com/124_Nissan_Skyline_R34_GTR_Pennzoil_1999_Decals_Tamiya--product--13640.html

24 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

They were fine in the water, it was when they were on the body and I was removing the excess water from them. I didn't even get to the setting solution. The thin black lines that go along the rockers above where you mask and paint the black those pretty much fell apart coming off the decal paper.

I got mine from Hobby Easy https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/49ofjj8ptl3ayy09u1h8.html  he's sold out on the '99 already. Hiroboy has them coming in soon, I'd guess by the end of the week or next week they should have them. The guy at Hobby Easy always gets the Shunko stuff in first. Hiroboy is good tho, I just ordered from them last night after they were closed and my order was processed and shipped out first thing this morning. https://www.hiroboy.com/124_Nissan_Skyline_R34_GTR_Pennzoil_1999_Decals_Tamiya--product--13640.html

Thanks again David!  I hope that they won't be back ordered too long.  About how long did it take them to get to your door once you ordered them?

36 minutes ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thanks again David!  I hope that they won't be back ordered too long.  About how long did it take them to get to your door once you ordered them?

I ordered mine before he had stock. So no idea if he'll get more, not sure how many sets Shunko was running. Amazingly it took like a week to get them from Hong Kong to Canada, normally its over two weeks, if you're lucky. Hiroboy might be your best bet, because they've not received their stock yet, so if its up on their site, the order is probably in transit to them and as soon as they arrive they'll post them up for ordering. 

19 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I ordered mine before he had stock. So no idea if he'll get more, not sure how many sets Shunko was running. Amazingly it took like a week to get them from Hong Kong to Canada, normally its over two weeks, if you're lucky. Hiroboy might be your best bet, because they've not received their stock yet, so if its up on their site, the order is probably in transit to them and as soon as they arrive they'll post them up for ordering. 

Thanks for the advice. I went on shunkos website and found the dealers. There’s a couple of company’s in Spain one is spotmodel and one is scalemates. They were both in stock but I ordered from spotmodel. Hopefully it won’t take long ??

Edited by lghtngyello03

31 minutes ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thanks for the advise. I went on shunkos website and found the dealers. There’s a couple of company’s in Spain one is spotmodel and one is scalemates. They were both in stock but I ordered from spotmodel. Hopefully it won’t take long ??

Nice, they must have just got theirs in. I was on Spotmodel the other day and it was still listed as incoming.

Spotmodel ships pretty quick. I think the last time I ordered from them it was like 10-12 days to Canada.

Again this evening, I didn’t get too much time to work.  I did get some more tedious carbon work done though. It’s enough to make you go cross eyed. 

I got the left side door panel done, the fuel pump cover, and the rear trans tunnel cover completed. 

Nothing is glued  In place, just set in for mock up. 

95725BC5-516F-42FA-9CAB-50064730727C.jpeg

984DD836-4FD5-45EC-A2E3-E50A7934A782.jpeg

Edited by lghtngyello03