Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Kookie Kar

Some time back there was some discussion about the terrible fate of the original Norm Grabowski Kookie Kar. Seems that it has been saved and restored to it's original beauty. Ross Myers paid a lot for the car at Mecum auction and has had it restored by Roy Brizio. Hats off to Ross and Roy and his crew for bringing one of the most important street rods back to life. Now, if we could only get a kit of this classic car/TV car and perfect street rod.

http://www.roybriziostreetrods.com/progress/myers_22/index.htm

Edited by Bill J
spelliiing

The television version was clearly the most evolved version of the car when it was still in Grabowski's hands. But I'm glad that the later owner's take on the car has been well documented before it was "restored" to the TV car. I put restored in quotes because when it comes to hot rods and customs, the notion of restoration is always up for grabs. Which version do you restore to? While I agree that the last version was really quite horrible, it made sense at the time it was done, and who is to say that things wouldn't have evolved so we that all thought it was the best version?

Oh, tastes do change, and I can see how in the days when your typical car show had stuff like this vying for the public's attention, I can see why you might want to jazz up what is seen as just another old hot rod.

1969-Bathtub-Rod-Bob-Reisner.jpg

Now, maybe people will start appreciating that over the top period of hot rod style.  If some of the articles in Hemmings are any indication, it looks like it might already be happening. 

However, there is more to this than just aesthetics.  We've had a few people here offer their opinions on how they'd improve the "Kookie" version of the car, which itself is not the original version.  The Grabowski roadster is a big deal because it redefined what a hot rod should look like, and I suppose the TV version is the one everyone knows.

One of the great things about modeling is that you can recreate any incarnation of any famous vehicle.

14 hours ago, Bill J said:

Some time back there was some discussion about the terrible fate of the original Norm Grabowski Kookie Kar. Seems that it has been saved and restored to it's original beauty. Ross Myers paid a lot for the car at Mecum auction and has had it restored by Roy Brizio. Hats off to Ross and Roy and his crew for bringing one of the most important street rods back to life. Now, if we could only get a kit of this classic car/TV car and perfect street rod.

http://www.roybriziostreetrods.com/progress/myers_22/index.htm

Thanks for posting the link with all the great pictures. One of my future builds will be to duplicate the original as much as possible 

One of the hardest things to duplicate is the front half of a 22 Model T Touring car. From what I can find, no one has kitted a T Touring suitable. The exhaust will also be a challenge  

b0a47027672590c10d087c68571648fd.jpg.807e142a66710d5f52fb7ed7994c1753.jpg

17 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

As documented on the Jalopy Journal(HAMB).

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/driving-the-kookie-kar-back-to-1958.1110832/

Lots of good pic's for those who might try to recreate it, including some shameful fab work?

Great history, though I prefer Tommy Ivo's T. bucket. 

Story goes that Tommy snuck into Norms garage and got the measurements from the Kookie T  so he could build his T. They had a good rivalry going that ended in a drag race. 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

29 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The car in 1955, and I think this is my favourite version.

grabowski%E2%80%99s-t-lightnin-bug-1024x

The frame photos on the HAMB look pretty scary.  Not something you'd want to replicate on a real car, but that would be an interesting exercise to model, rough welds and all.

I have never seen this version, I like it better than the later ones too. 

6 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The car in 1955, and I think this is my favourite version.

grabowski%E2%80%99s-t-lightnin-bug-1024x

The frame photos on the HAMB look pretty scary.  Not something you'd want to replicate on a real car, but that would be an interesting exercise to model, rough welds and all.

That's before it became the "Kookie Car", then it was the "Lightnin Bug

14 hours ago, iBorg said:

What would be interesting would be to see either the Roth or AMT's T modified into a Ivo/Kookie Kar kit. It seems with a few parts swapped and decals and you could do both.

That would be interesting, Main problem would be making the front half of a 22 Touring body. Not sure if they could use that in any other kits. A resin body would be very helpful but again would the market be there to justify the cost.

18 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

That would be interesting, Main problem would be making the front half of a 22 Touring body. Not sure if they could use that in any other kits. A resin body would be very helpful but again would the market be there to justify the cost.

How much actual difference is there between that, and the front half of a '23 roadster body?

18 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

How much actual difference is there between that, and the front half of a '23 roadster body?

The cowls and front of the '22 and '23 T buckets are virtually identical in appearance. Though there were differences between '22 and '23 fenders, , windshields, hoods, grilles, etc, they didn't affect the body shell much.

The '24-'25, however, is an entirely different shell.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 1:28 PM, magicmustang said:

Revell Outlaw kit engine and exhaust would be a start.

outlaw (2).jpg

Okay, I am going to attempt a replica of Norm's Kookie car. I have an Outlaw kit and a Tweedy pie kit. Between the two of them I should have most of the parts needed. "We shall see" said the blind man..   

tweedy pie.jpg

Edited by magicmustang