Model Cars Magazine Forum

The mother load...........

Best bet is to assign a value to each type of car (model kit, built model, large diecast, small diecast) and multiply by quantity of each. Then figure you need a big truck to haul it out of there.

I am slowing selling off parts of my collection, so my wife doesn't need to take out an add like this when I die.

Likely won't find one buyer to take it all unless the seller is willing to settle for 30-40 cents on the dollar. There is so much there that honestly it would be in her best interest to separate the different scale diecast from the toys and plastic models and try to sell it that way.

I doubt she'll get what its worth on a piece by piece basis. I think somewhere between $5000-10,000 would get it. What I see, seems closer to the $5000 simply due to the expense of reselling. The promos will be worth significantly less unless she has boxes. I also see built kits falling in value due to the number of reissues; Round 2, new Revell, Salvinos and now Atlantis.

Her best bet would be to see if there were any modeling comrades that her husband had and ask for their help.

From the look of the unbuilt kit room, she might possibly be sitting on tens of thousands of dollars worth of vintage kits alone.

Just in the one more readily visible stack I can see a pair of MPC '68 and a pair of '69 Dodge Coronet R/T kits!

Could be $1,000.00 right there if she can find the right buyers.

I really hope this woman doesn't get the shaft on this.

Steve

Don't think many of us have the cash (speaking for myself) to buy the whole lot.  But I could see a club pooling together.  Would think selling just the Hot Wheels on their own as a batch might recoup some of the investment.  Not many people want to screw with eBay, but it cold be worth it.  I know a a man whose dad just died, he came to our last model meeting and said he has a bunch of models, really need to call him.

Nobody will be willing to pay full value, simply because nobody will want absolutely everything.  A dealer will want to make a bunch of money, a collector will want to recoup the cost while keeping some items for himself.  I never bought any big collections, but used the latter approach the few times I did buy a smaller one.  You're entitled to a return on investment: you're tying up some money for a while, you're tying up storage space, and you'll spend a lot of time reselling, whether listing online or traveling to shows.

I overheard one guy at the final Toledo show saying he wasn't buying collections anymore, as the stuff from the last couple of buys wasn't moving as quickly as he was used to seeing...

45 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Guys, I just sent this lady an email..... I thought it would be helpful to her to be able to read the comments, and help her decide what to do..... Hopefully my directions to get her here, will.

TJ, I hope she responds. It would be sad to see her get taken. Though I'm sure some of us have been through similar situations.

Stuff that has to be cleared out quickly, you have to make hard choices.

It is probably smart to either figure or guesstimate what the entire value of the collection and then ask for half that price or slightly above if you want to move it quickly. Possibly getting someone to auction it would work, but that costs money and you would probably have to inventory and move it all. That would probably net the most money if there is good stuff there and the right bidders see it. I inherited my dads huge collection, around 2500 to 3500 items. 1/18 diecast and plastic models. All cars and trucks. It took me 2 plus years of selling on ebay, local fleamarkets and bulk sales to local dealers to get to a managable amount. Keep in mind I am into this stuff and know what it is worth. That is very different if you want to sell it realitively quickly.  The adage " when I have it is worth a mint and when you have it, it's worth nothing" is absolutely true. It was a tremendous amount of work and aggravation to get it done. People chisel you on prices, stuff gets broken or damaged in shipping, ebay fees, flea market fees. Getting up at 0 dark 30, etc. If someone is not in to it, or doesn't know it is a gigantic hassle. Well, even if you are into it and do know it is a gigantic hassle.....Bottom line: the collection means something to the collector and maybe someone who understands it, but to everyone else it is just stuff and unless you get it in the right venue, you probably won't get near what its worth. And if you do, it will take quite a bit of time and work to make it happen. 

This is a very large and diverse collection. The display cabinets alone must be worth a lot. As mentioned by others here, the large quantity would be hard for most and beyond their means. To sell it all as a single lot the only logical buyer wound be someone that would be able to split it up and sell parts to different people. I think Steven Guthmiller 's idea of contacting his friends with a shared interest would be in her best interest.     

27 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

A dilemma we will all be in soon enough.

What are YOU doing about it?

I'm sure everyone of us would want something out of this collection, exactly why it's harder to sell it complete. That is the ultimate question for all of us,

What do you do about it? I know I have no clue

Sadly the person that ends up with it usually doesn't want to take the time to get what they are worth it's not an easy task for them.

Forget the hot wheels and the diecast 1/24th  stuff, only the promos, unbuilt kits and built ones, plus the showcases are where the money is in this one guys. Someone should buy it now and take it to the Kalamazoo toy show on november23, or is it the 30th??? Have the  widow take it there. She could liquidate it in a few hours there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very tough job, indeed. Several members of the LMMCC, including me, are working with Tom Piagari's widow to organize his collection; we're faced with trying to think like Tom to reorganize many, many projects which are spread out, back into salable units. I'm hoping we can market some of his wonderful contest-winning builds on eBay to folks who would appreciate them (like the people who collect Paul Hettick models - they're that good); and maybe have some go to the Model Car Museum (something Tom had mentioned a while back). It'll take time and effort, but we're getting through it bit by bit.

When I talked to this very nice lady she told me she had an offer of $26,000 and turned it down. Had another offer of $28k, says there is still a lot more than what is shown in the pics.

Edited by Zen

28 minutes ago, Zen said:

When I talked to this very nice lady she told me she had an offer of $26,000 and turned it down. Had another offer of $28k, says there is still a lot more than what is shown in the pics.

She should take the $28K offer and run. It might be possible to recover that and more in retail sales, but how much time and effort would it take? 

26 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

She should take the $28K offer and run. It might be possible to recover that and more in retail sales, but how much time and effort would it take? 

Exactly.  That's enough to do something with.  The time and effort to break it down would be a huge burden for a long time.