Model Cars Magazine Forum

The mother load...........

48 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

A relief to me that someone wasn’t going to be able to swindle her for a few dollars!

I think the swindling would be relative to whether or not her husband is alive or dead.  She seems to realize this stuff is worth something, kinda makes me wonder if he's still above ground and breathing and you'd be stepping into the middle of a divorce proceeding in trying to buy that stuff.  We had a widow come to a show about 3 years ago with about 500 kits - all of them old stuff, original JoHans, old annuals, and she took $5 a box for every single one of them.  She was downsizing and moving to Florida with her daughter and she just wanted everything gone so she could move.  Bunch of us told her she was giving up a wild amount of money doing this - but she said $2,500 was more than enough for her needs and she just wanted to see her husband's stuff go on to other people who might get around to building it.

I was looking at the photo's and did not see 10,000 to 15,000 in value. That being said what I see in the photo's. There are some intakes off of cars in the one photo, so maybe there is more of that stuff sitting around. 

The die cast stuff you will have a  hard time giving away from what the sellers at shows have said.  As far as her value she has in mind, more power to her to know there is value. She does need to get a few tables at the Kalamazoo toy show coming up. 

Her husband passed away a couple of years ago, she also sold off his full size car collection and parts. She has a good idea on what this is all worth, she was married to him for 38 years.

I would like to actually see the whole collection at least, doubting that will happen thou.

Edited by Zen

Just a thought - folks, make sure you have a plan!   I'm going this coming weekend to help clear a friend's collection for his widow.   We had been doing diecasts for the last year and he has a bunch of Franklin and Danbury Mint diecasts to go through.  I had agreed to do this when it looked like there was no reason to worry about such.  

I'll end up doing a bunch of work for little personal return but I did agree to this.  

Make a plan.   If nothing else, get an inventory going and at least assign some sort of value to each item you list.   

After helping liquidate a couple of collection, it is not easy and it is quite a bit of work. Selling it off in one shot is the best bet. And yes, sadly you will not get the maximum out of it. 

I wish her luck! 

And yes, what Greg said! 

6 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

What I said. Do it now

Dealing with something like this on top of a death . I can only image the issues they are dealing with.

That's  why I am trying to thin my stash down considerably now. I just turned 60 and am well aware the end is much closer than the beginning. ( hopefully not so much closer )

I have all my old annuals  in spreadsheet in the computer with when and how much I paid . Although I'm sure the amount invested has nothing to do with the amount  they will sell  for at that time .

Family has already said they will keep any and all done builds I have . All unbuilts and builders will go away,,, In one lump sum most likely. And I doubt the amount they sell for will be a factor and/or concern.

I bought a collection (from a widow) of unbuilt new in the box kits in the mid '80s for $1000.00 (mostly cars, some military). I cleared over $5000.00 on my investment, I've often wondered what it would be worth today. I don't have a "collection". I have a bunch of parts in boxes. And scratch built, hacked together built one-offs that won't mean much to anyone once I'm gone. Throw it all in the trash, honey!  -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

In our modelclub we lost a dear fellow member last November in a planecrash. He was the pilot and he had  been working as a commercial pilot for over 20 years. He had some 200 unbuilt kits, mostly planes. We in the modelclub has taken care off the collection on behalf of the widow and we are taking it to the IPMS show here in Norway in March to get it sold.