Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack coal truck

Alrighty then,

Not sure if this qualifies as a big rig (guess it was for it's day). Please move as needed. Thought I'd post a few pics of my completed Monogram 1926 Mack AC. It's been in my stash for 30 years now, and I decided to build it for an upcoming show (no sense rushing into things). Model is built OOB, except for the wood planks around the inside edge of the dump box, and the coal (small aquarium gravel). Paint is Rustoelum rattle can olive, and weathering is wash/dry brushing. Base is a Lexan piece, with a period Blue Coal ad. This kit seemed to fight me all the way (scratch building rc scale ships seemed easier at times). I do enjoy building everyday work vehicles. As usual, all comments/criticism/threats are welcome.

Mark

0 (4).jpg

0-5 (1).jpg

0-4 (1).jpg

0-3 (1).jpg

0-2 (1).jpg

0-1 (1).jpg

4 hours ago, TECHMAN said:

???

Great job on the build, and the weathering!!!  What did you use to "make the load" ?

DJ

Thanks. I took a small piece of styrofoam and covered with masking tape, then sprayed it black. I glued it to the dump box floor, then added some small grain black aquarium gravel to simulate the coal. It is not glued in.

Mark

Thanks for posting this excellent build. Delivering coal was a dirty and thankless job in those days. I have a photograph of my grandfather who delivered coal with a horse and wagon all hand shoveled of course. His Nick name was "black" for obvious reasons. The trucks were a big step up from the horses but imagine driving it in rain and snow.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Awesome job! I got dirty just looking at it!

My work here is done ?.  Thanks, really wanted to make it look like a hard working everyday vehicle. BTW my mom's side all came from Cleveland Heights OH.

Mark

Edited by the goon