Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need a carving material

I am going to try my hand at doing some carving to possibly make a resin mold for my personal use.  However I am not sure what material is available for some intricate carving.  I remember seeing someone mention a product, but I cannot remember the name, seems I remember it beginning with "ren".  Any help will be appreciated.

A decent substitute is the fake wood trim from Home Depot or similar place.  I think there are different kind of composites but the stuff they have in 1x4 in the moulding section carves and sands easy.  I've been successful glueing several together for larger/thicker pieces. I seem to remember someone mentioning the composite fencing end caps being nice big blocks to work from as well.

On 10/29/2019 at 6:16 PM, Rider said:

Man that stuff is stupid expensive. 

Yup, that is true but you might try a local pattern making shop.  They may have some scrap they would sell you cheap or even give them too you if you are nice.  

Might try a sign shop and see if they have any "sign foam" scraps.  Scraps would likely work.  It is high density Urethane (HDU).   It is very "carveable".   Comes in sheets form but can be glued up to make whatever thickness you need.  Very tight cell structure, sands nicely and can be painted with most anything to completely smooth for mold or final painting.  

Balsa foam isn't a cheap date either. I worked with a guy who was carving vac formed masters for slot and R/C car bodies and he used expanding foams from both Smooth-On and Alumilite. Basically pored into a box approximately the starting size he needed and carved away once cured. Not too expensive compared to some of the other ready to use products. Otherwise the suggestion of sign foam is good, shouldn't be too hard to find a shop to give/sell you some cut offs, just look for a shop that offers 3d signs and chances are they're working with it.