Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testor brand paints discontinued? (Short answer: No)

Note: I added a question mark to my title because I'm not sure if it's true...I'd LOVE to hear from someone in the trade that it wasn't, and would encourage the mods here to delete this if it's definitely a false rumor (who has time to make this nonsense up anyway, if they did?)

I have tried contacting Testors three times to ask them, with a mind to stocking up myself but they didn't reply any of the times so I did at least try and get it straight from the horse's mouth...

You would think if it were true, and this close to the supposed end date, that there would be announcements on their web page and Facebook page, but I don't see anything of the sort.

Edit: Granted it does talk mainly about overseas and international, so who knows.

Edited by Jordan White

The Hobbytown near me had all their Testors paints in clearance when I was there two weeks ago. At that time they said that the paints were coming back but in Rustoleum packaging. The total discontinuation of hobby paints is news to me.

Edited by Fat Brian

7 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

You would think if it were true, and this close to the supposed end date, that there would be announcements on their web page and Facebook page, but I don't see anything of the sort.

True...but I'm not sure if there's any incentive for them to tell the PUBLIC that there's an issue, if there is...same way Revell never told us what happened with the Model A tooling and why that suddenly wasn't available any more.  I suspect they'd be more open with their trade customers than the general public, but who knows

I'd definitely be sad if their Model Master clear went away - I just got all set up to try the Donn Yost method (enamel clear plus lacquer) and got some great results with it right off the bat...I FINALLY find a paint system that I can shoot well with and they (maybe) discontinue it :D

Presser starting with "With a heavy heart"??? No corp announcements? Distributor dumping because profit margin dropped, or rumor mongering again. 

Another thread around here addressing this, not the rumor. 

Umm, no, until Rustoleum says so. 

53 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I have tried contacting Testors three times to ask them, with a mind to stocking up myself but they didn't reply any of the times so I did at least try and get it straight from the horse's mouth...

I have tried stocking up TESTORS spray cans,  only to have them ooze stuff out through the bottom, and lose their fizziness! I hope the TESTORS line stays around, so I can grab a can when I need it. 

It makes it sound like they're not going to ship internationally after that one date (but maybe continue fulfilling US orders until stock runs out)...AND Rustoleum is stopping production and sale of Testors paints.

It's confusingly worded, for sure...unless this version of that document was one sent to only international distributors and there's a variation for domestic customers of theirs saying much the same thing but with different (or no) last order dates.

If they'd ever reply to any of the messages I'd sent them over the past 3 or 4 months since I first heard this rumor I could say for sure one way or the other but they don't seem to want to do that just yet

· 49 mins ·

***HOBBY SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***
There has been a lot of information and misinformation going around today with regards to the Testors company. We can only report what we have heard ourselves...

Having spoken to representatives at Rust-Oleum USA and Rust-Oleum Canada as well as our sales reps at two major Canadian Hobby Distributors; they are unaware of any discontinuation of Testors products and if such an event were to happen, information would have circulated through offical channels.

The only products that for certain have been discontinued by Testors are the Aztek Airbrushes, the International & Military Enamels and the Custom Lacquer System.

And I want to add

Testors/RPM is looking into this matter and trying to track down the person or person involved with this hoax

Edited by martinfan5

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Testor brand paints discontinued? (Short answer: No)