Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 scale 32 Ford IFS

I havent built the kit, but I recently installed an IFS in a 67 dodge d-100 and it would be close to the same. Its not a model, but the parts are the same. The long black arms attach to the spindle (the part with the silver disc, I assume is a brake rotor), and is the attaching point for the steering rack. I see the a-arms in the baggie, so the long ones are on the bottom, the short one go on top. The thing sticking over the frame rails should be the upper shock/bag mount. 

I included a shot of the mock-up of the truck, really just because I love it, but to also show how it sits. An IFS is usually installed to modernize a suspension, and it usually lowers the frame quite a bit. The truck was just set together for the shot, and is back apart now. The truck will actually be about 1-1/2" lower than this picture. Hope it helps. 

20190629_161553.jpg

20190629_161556.jpg

20190423_175843.jpg

Now this takes me back.......We, TDR, did this a while ago, and that "knob" on the steering arm fit into the recess on the back of the upright......with the pieces painted, they may not fit together as intended;  bit of an oversight on our (my) part......and yes, we didn't do a specific steering rack for the Deuce.....probably should have......Drummerdad's Dodge truck images show the intent very well......

steering-arm.jpg

The shape of the "knob" matched up with the shape of the recess on the back of the upright so the arm kind of located itself in there.....a bit of adhesive would secure the two pieces together.....a bit of work with an exacto blade to scrape away the paint in the recess and/or the "knob" on the arm should bring back the slip-fit intended.....

1 minute ago, ajwheels said:

The shape of the "knob" matched up with the shape of the recess on the back of the upright so the arm kind of located itself in there.....a bit of adhesive would secure the two pieces together.....a bit of work with an exacto blade to scrape away the paint in the recess and/or the "knob" on the arm should bring back the slip-fit intended.....

So did you have a steering rack or linkage on yours?

I never actually built up a completed car with this assembly........I drew it up, had some parts printed and did a fit check with the Big Deuce frame rails from the kit, posted up some images.....the feedback was good, so we added the pieces to our catalog.....I think I have only seen one or two cars completed using these parts, and those builders scratch-built the steering rack and any other odd pieces they felt were needed......I do seem to remember there is some interference when using this front suspension with the fenders on the Deuce.......sorry I'm not more help here......

IMG_4835.jpg