Model Cars Magazine Forum

French Quarter Voodoo 49 Merc--Rat Bit

Dr. Cranky

The time has come to build another 49 Merc because I know that I can never get enough of this kit . . .

This new project has gripped my imagination, so I've got it primered and with a few early details that I think are going to make this one extra special.

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

Stay tuned in as I'm sure more will be done to this soon . . .

Edited by DamnCranky

:lol: ######, thems some awful big spiders! You gotta GIANT size can a Raid? Maybe you should be workin on it a little more often, so it don't get do many cobbywebs! Spiders aside, it looks like it's gonna be a killer ride. I do like the louvres on the hood, are they 1/72nd scale ladders? NEET trick! :lol: Edited by george 53

Hey, Tom, thanks . . . unfortunately this is not my official Holloween build for this year . . . that ONE will be unveiled as soon as October comes around . . .

In the meantime though some slow progress tonight . . .

So the Voodoo Merc went from this:

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

To this:

IMG_0010-vi.jpg

To this:

IMG_0017-vi.jpg

To this:

IMG_3-vi.jpg

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

The leopard print is painted on using nail art templates . . . it's about the right scale for this job . . .

IMG_6-vi.jpg

The hood is going to be a different color just to show that this sucker has been worked on by its new owner . . . plus I'm not crazy about the spider and those webs . . . don't want to overdoit, you know.

Stay tuned in tomorrow for more progress.

Innitially I liked the idea of a rusty orange, and then I thought green and then I thought: Why not all the colors I want? So I did it and here's some of what the final paint job is going to look like . . . I think those carbs are running a bit too rich too!!! :D:D:D

I also masked off the roof rectangle and shot some black/rust on the webs . . .

IMG_0029-vi.jpg

IMG_0030-vi.jpg

I really like the texture and look of this "replacement" hood . . .

IMG_0031-vi.jpg

I think the hood does justice and gets the viewer ready for those leopard skin panels!!! :D^_^

IMG_0032-vi.jpg

Stay tuned in for more progress . . .

Thanks, gents. I really appreciate the comments . . . last night I worked on this sucker's smile, trying to get the grin just right so I weathered all the sets of grills and fenders that comes with this great kit and tried it out for good measure . . .

And here are the results. I think I am going with the standard big-toothy grin on this one, picture #3.

Enjoy and stay tuned in for more progress . . .

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

This one is my least favorite . . .

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

There's something about this grill that really makes the Merc's smile pop. POP, I tell you!

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

I agree. That's a great kit too. I just built one . . . and oh, the 55 Chevy is wonderful.

Revell is putting out some fantastic kits, that's for sure. As long as they keep releasing them, we'll keep on buildin' 'em, right? :angry:

Oh yes we will !!!!! and it's great to see that they were listening to us for all that we needed and wanted in a great kit line