Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coronet vintage racer

MoparOrNoCar94

11 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I do agree. The workmanship is top notch, but remember 1 millimeter = 1 scale inch. The tubes look oversized.

I agree, local hobby store only had that and didn’t want to wait to order more. Being the first car I’ve done in a long time I was expecting to be a bit rusty. Next build is going to be no expenses spared 

Now that I understand!  Until Hobby Lobby opened in my area and I started gathering materials, I was locked into using what I had available.  I wasn't going to mention the tubes. But, the structure of the cage is sound and other than the size, which I can overlook, it looks great! The headers? I'm starting to work with solder and making my own (and I've been modeling for over 45 years!)....but with my military career (20 years) and moving an average of once every three years, I was left with building box stock.  Now i'm retired and getting the hang of aftermarket detailing!  Look forward to seeing the completion of this build and your future builds!

15 minutes ago, Mikey56 said:

Now that I understand!  Until Hobby Lobby opened in my area and I started gathering materials, I was locked into using what I had available.  I wasn't going to mention the tubes. But, the structure of the cage is sound and other than the size, which I can overlook, it looks great! The headers? I'm starting to work with solder and making my own (and I've been modeling for over 45 years!)....but with my military career (20 years) and moving an average of once every three years, I was left with building box stock.  Now i'm retired and getting the hang of aftermarket detailing!  Look forward to seeing the completion of this build and your future builds!

Thanks. I found the headers in a box of parts then used some heat to bend them, then used tubing to collect them together

looking great!  what color are you thinking for the chassis?  to me, color is important because it can either hide or enhance the looks of the overall car.....a dark color chassis and a dark color car body lends itself to hiding details that you may want to bring out.  likewise, a light color chassis and a light color body could show the mistakes that we all tend to make, no matter how long you've been building!  it takes me a while to decide what colors I want to lay down. 

16 hours ago, Mikey56 said:

looking great!  what color are you thinking for the chassis?  to me, color is important because it can either hide or enhance the looks of the overall car.....a dark color chassis and a dark color car body lends itself to hiding details that you may want to bring out.  likewise, a light color chassis and a light color body could show the mistakes that we all tend to make, no matter how long you've been building!  it takes me a while to decide what colors I want to lay down. 

Chassis is silver/gray body I’m still debating 

like the silver chassis!  brings out your talent with scratch building the cage....personally, I would look at a red or yellow (with the opposite as the trim color)....that would highlight the chassis....overall?  excellent build!  great work on it!