Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
MoparOrNoCar94

Coronet vintage racer

Recommended Posts

Was going through all my old model parts after 7plus years of being in storage and found this coronet body, but no chassis or anything else to it so I decided to build a local vintage stock car. 

3B1BAEEC-76AE-4912-A243-CE92FF2F59A9.jpeg

341E0BAD-821D-4C17-9492-50CB918B9ED6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking chassis, impressive cage work.  What are you using for front and rear chassis clips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Nice looking chassis, impressive cage work.  What are you using for front and rear chassis clips?

Early 90s nascar kits I picked up at a swap meet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good, but those roll bars are huge!

I love just making something out of nothing like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an idea.  Maybe do a Paul Goldsmith #99 car.  He never raced a 70 Coronet, only the 68 and 69 Coronets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Here is an idea.  Maybe do a Paul Goldsmith #99 car.  He never raced a 70 Coronet, only the 68 and 69 Coronets.  

Any pics of his cars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2019 at 12:38 AM, Sledsel said:

Looking good, but those roll bars are huge!

I do agree. The workmanship is top notch, but remember 1 millimeter = 1 scale inch. The tubes look oversized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I do agree. The workmanship is top notch, but remember 1 millimeter = 1 scale inch. The tubes look oversized.

I agree, local hobby store only had that and didn’t want to wait to order more. Being the first car I’ve done in a long time I was expecting to be a bit rusty. Next build is going to be no expenses spared 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I understand!  Until Hobby Lobby opened in my area and I started gathering materials, I was locked into using what I had available.  I wasn't going to mention the tubes. But, the structure of the cage is sound and other than the size, which I can overlook, it looks great! The headers? I'm starting to work with solder and making my own (and I've been modeling for over 45 years!)....but with my military career (20 years) and moving an average of once every three years, I was left with building box stock.  Now i'm retired and getting the hang of aftermarket detailing!  Look forward to seeing the completion of this build and your future builds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mikey56 said:

Now that I understand!  Until Hobby Lobby opened in my area and I started gathering materials, I was locked into using what I had available.  I wasn't going to mention the tubes. But, the structure of the cage is sound and other than the size, which I can overlook, it looks great! The headers? I'm starting to work with solder and making my own (and I've been modeling for over 45 years!)....but with my military career (20 years) and moving an average of once every three years, I was left with building box stock.  Now i'm retired and getting the hang of aftermarket detailing!  Look forward to seeing the completion of this build and your future builds!

Thanks. I found the headers in a box of parts then used some heat to bend them, then used tubing to collect them together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work! My scratch building skills are limited to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looking great!  what color are you thinking for the chassis?  to me, color is important because it can either hide or enhance the looks of the overall car.....a dark color chassis and a dark color car body lends itself to hiding details that you may want to bring out.  likewise, a light color chassis and a light color body could show the mistakes that we all tend to make, no matter how long you've been building!  it takes me a while to decide what colors I want to lay down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mikey56 said:

looking great!  what color are you thinking for the chassis?  to me, color is important because it can either hide or enhance the looks of the overall car.....a dark color chassis and a dark color car body lends itself to hiding details that you may want to bring out.  likewise, a light color chassis and a light color body could show the mistakes that we all tend to make, no matter how long you've been building!  it takes me a while to decide what colors I want to lay down. 

Chassis is silver/gray body I’m still debating 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like the silver chassis!  brings out your talent with scratch building the cage....personally, I would look at a red or yellow (with the opposite as the trim color)....that would highlight the chassis....overall?  excellent build!  great work on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...