Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lee Roy Yarborough Cyclone Spoiler II

yellowsportwagon

10 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Another Awesome one , Tim. I have heard that these kits can be a nightmare to build. You can tell that if that was the case you had no problem fixing the issues it might have had. Looks perfect.

Mark these are not without their faults. Most are easily over come. The 429 engine fit issue is rather easily fixed. The rollcage to floor fit is a little goofy. Nothing a little trim of the crush panel won’t fix. I lower the rear end on all of them I feel it’s too high. The rear bumper fits a little crappy but easily fixed. The worst is the headers. I finally figured those out too. If any of you guys has a question about these I’ll gladly give suggestions. I think once done they look killer.

Hi, Tim. I got this Torino from Polar Lights at home, too. I haven't started working on it yet, but I've done something like trying to make my own decals. I'm showing what particular form in the photo. I'm also planning on putting the same tires as you. Didn't you have a problem with your bent nose upwards? I've got it in the box, and I'm going to have to warm it up and bend it into the right position. These Torina are shapely to me and probably the most accomplished. You did so well. Beautiful !

Ford Torino Talladega.jpg

1 hour ago, Fairfax said:

Hi, Tim. I got this Torino from Polar Lights at home, too. I haven't started working on it yet, but I've done something like trying to make my own decals. I'm showing what particular form in the photo. I'm also planning on putting the same tires as you. Didn't you have a problem with your bent nose upwards? I've got it in the box, and I'm going to have to warm it up and bend it into the right position. These Torina are shapely to me and probably the most accomplished. You did so well. Beautiful !

Ford Torino Talladega.jpg

They all have the bent up nose. I cut a relief cut on each of the inner fenders do when bending down it goes easier.

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Lee Roy drove the Cyclone Spoiler II like my model is and a Torino Talladega like the picture Fairfax posted. The little Johnny Lightning is also a Torino.

Yes, slight variations between the 2. Talladega has bars in the grille, and smooth 1/4  sail panels instead of the 3 indentations the spoiler has. Also the hoods are different, and the Spoiler has a lifted area in between the hood and the grille bordered by 2 feature lines. And there might be an extra feature line on the Talladega,  running down the upper sides of the car. I personally like the Mercury version better.

14 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

The Mercury nose was slightly lower and had better aero than the Ford. The wheelwells were shaped differently too.

Missed those. Probably more even then that. You would have thought all the Ford teams would have run the Merc.