Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘69 Dodge Charger

Furiousgeorge

I figured I’d post this one up. It’s half done, but coming along nicely!

Painted Tamiya Dark Blue, with white interior and stripe, black hood, and the venerable Hemi. I’ve done quite a few Chargers over the years, but I usually stick with the 440. I have a Dick Landy Hemi Charger I built when I was a kid, and a ‘70 Hemi Charger, so I figured I’d do up a ‘69.

The Hemi is wired and plumbed, I used Fireball Modelworks Carter carbs. I learned a much better way to do fuel filters. I usually use resistors I got from The Source (used to be Radio Shack), painted silver. But they are kind of an hourglass shape. With this one, I cut off a bit of rod (.080”), rounded out the ends a bit, drilled a hole through it for the fuel line, and added bits of wire insulation to either end. Much better I think! I also added throttle linkage and springs. 

The interior is finished, with woodgrain on the console, dash and steering wheel. A bit of foil finished it off. 

The wheels are from (I think) the Dick Landy ‘68 Charger. Tires are from the pile. 

The paint turned out really good, Tamiya rattle cans tend to work well for me these days! It dried nice and smooth (as smooth as it gets considering there are 5 people, two cats and a dog in the house, and the paint booth is right beside the dryer!). I went over it with my good ol’ Micro Mesh sanding/polishing clothes. I ran out of polish, so I need to grab some today (there are some incredibly fine swirling/scratches in the otherwise great paint job). Not sure why this one has turned out so much better then most I do, but it has.

A8EE5F24-DC1F-422D-8FF7-CE3696481BB2.jpeg

A71E18F6-D0C9-4A25-8F1F-626042C3ECDB.jpeg

81F46138-C5C3-47C2-A8EE-747D3B7E28C1.jpeg

C26AB554-D71E-49AA-8728-98EF8FB6F36B.jpeg

CE96BBA8-EFD5-42F6-AF15-5CB8E6788000.jpeg

6C6BAAF5-988B-47D3-9A01-4206525BE33A.jpeg

E7849963-C297-4F7A-BDCE-862568FB9BA9.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Furiousgeorge said:

I figured I’d post this one up. It’s half done, but coming along nicely!

Painted Tamiya Dark Blue, with white interior and stripe, black hood, and the venerable Hemi. I’ve done quite a few Chargers over the years, but I usually stick with the 440. I have a Dick Landy Hemi Charger I built when I was a kid, and a ‘70 Hemi Charger, so I figured I’d do up a ‘69.

The Hemi is wired and plumbed, I used Fireball Modelworks Carter carbs. I learned a much better way to do fuel filters. I usually use resistors I got from The Source (used to be Radio Shack), painted silver. But they are kind of an hourglass shape. With this one, I cut off a bit of rod (.080”), rounded out the ends a bit, drilled a hole through it for the fuel line, and added bits of wire insulation to either end. Much better I think! I also added throttle linkage and springs. 

The interior is finished, with woodgrain on the console, dash and steering wheel. A bit of foil finished it off. 

The wheels are from (I think) the Dick Landy ‘68 Charger. Tires are from the pile. 

The paint turned out really good, Tamiya rattle cans tend to work well for me these days! It dried nice and smooth (as smooth as it gets considering there are 5 people, two cats and a dog in the house, and the paint booth is right beside the dryer!). I went over it with my good ol’ Micro Mesh sanding/polishing clothes. I ran out of polish, so I need to grab some today (there are some incredibly fine swirling/scratches in the otherwise great paint job). Not sure why this one has turned out so much better then most I do, but it has.

A8EE5F24-DC1F-422D-8FF7-CE3696481BB2.jpeg

A71E18F6-D0C9-4A25-8F1F-626042C3ECDB.jpeg

81F46138-C5C3-47C2-A8EE-747D3B7E28C1.jpeg

C26AB554-D71E-49AA-8728-98EF8FB6F36B.jpeg

CE96BBA8-EFD5-42F6-AF15-5CB8E6788000.jpeg

6C6BAAF5-988B-47D3-9A01-4206525BE33A.jpeg

E7849963-C297-4F7A-BDCE-862568FB9BA9.jpeg

Nicely done '69 Dodge Charger, you have there Trent.......... I really like the interior work you've done, and especially the wood effect dashboard. The engine detail is superb and I can see why you are so pleased with the exterior paint finish...... excellent job!

David

Thanks! I just realized that the body pictures were taken prior to the sanding and polishing. I picked up some Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Wax and Meguiars Ultimate Polish. I tried out the polish on the truck, haven’t tried the wax yet though. It made a difference in taking out some of the really fine (barely seeable) scratches. It’s not glass smooth, but I’m getting there! Still one of the best paint jobs I’ve managed to knock out!

2CB7433D-C315-4F5F-9750-72058CF68E13.jpeg

2C9453F3-1A56-4967-900C-A59E5FC95621.jpeg

The engine is really nice and that interior is just outstanding. On the body however, I would first give it a good wet sanding paint correction, before I polish it. It would make things much smoother and will cut down your polishing efforts and time significantly. 

Thanks everyone!

Anglia105E- I'm a bit limited to what products are available to me. I live in a small town, and there is only one place that sells car wax and polish. So I got what I could. I'm just glad they had good name brand stuff and not cheap garbage! Seems to work good, I just need to work more on the sanding/wet sanding.

espo- yes, Tamiya doesn't mess around with paint names! When they say dark, they mean dark! I got the vinyl sprayed the other day, and that brings out the blue a bit more, but without it, it's very close to black! I've always found the interior on these Chargers and Daytona's to be easy to detail and get to look good! The carbs are from Fireball Modelworks, he makes amazing stuff!

mrm- I did a wet sanding with Micro Mesh sanding/polishing cloths, but they're getting some years into them, and need to be replaced soon. I kept burning through the paint along the rear edge of the trunk, and door panel lines, so I called it good before I completely ruined it! 

Today I should be able to finish the foil trim, and a respray on the upper rad support. Then its onto final assembly! This car has gone really well so far, so I'm sure this is where it'll all go pear shaped!

Ok, I hit the bench pretty hard these last few days and got some progress done (mostly forward, but a wee bit backwards as well!). 

As it sits now, the body/chassis/interior are together, had a few parts come off in the process, but nothin major. The worst of it is the firewall come loose, and that’s not a big deal. 

There are some paint touch ups here and there, and some grinding to do on the front bumper guards. Then just wheels, bumpers and the little exterior bits. I tracked down a second white stripe, so hopefully the blue won’t bleed through them both! If it does, then black stripe it is!

6535CA42-C9B0-491E-A913-FDEE4ACEE981.jpeg

510EB41F-A39E-4D5B-B44D-BE34D92A4340.jpeg

B78E334A-CAF4-4CEB-96C9-9E1FBA5667B7.jpeg