Model Cars Magazine Forum
fomocomav

Monogram 1971 Plymouth Satellite intake manifold and carb

I've been wanting to build as close to a stock 1971 Satellite since forever.  I bought a partial kit, and figured I'd get the rest of the parts from the 1971 GTX, seeing as many parts are the same.  Well, I didn't look close enough on the auction, and the kit is missing the "stock" intake and carburetor, and I need those 2 parts for the build.  I don't know a whole lot about 1/24 Mopar kits, so I don't know if they are included in other kits as well?  I have the '70 GTX, Superbird and Road Runner kits, and they all come with 3 deuces, which won't work.  Does anyone have those 2 parts they would be willing to part with?  Or maybe even information about where I could find them, in other kits, perhaps?  Thanks for looking!

Mopar's don't use three deuces, they use a six pack. And you did not specify Hemi, big block, small block or slant six since all engines are offered in that car. IF it's a small block the Duster kit has the best intake and Carter Thermoquad ever made for a model kit. Could not look more like the real thing. IF you are running a big block you need to find the Rally Charger. Best big block engine ever made. Has the factory a/c and a/c lines on it. I'd get that kit and use the entire engine if you want a big block. As far as a Hemi goes, I don't there is a bad Hemi kit out there as far as engines go.

Wow, and all these years I thought three deuces and six pack were the same! You Mopar guys gotta ease up. Three deuces = 3 x 2. Six pack = 3 x 2! I don't see the issue.

1 hour ago, dwc43 said:

Mopar's don't use three deuces, they use a six pack. And you did not specify Hemi, big block, small block or slant six since all engines are offered in that car. IF it's a small block the Duster kit has the best intake and Carter Thermoquad ever made for a model kit. Could not look more like the real thing. IF you are running a big block you need to find the Rally Charger. Best big block engine ever made. Has the factory a/c and a/c lines on it. I'd get that kit and use the entire engine if you want a big block. As far as a Hemi goes, I don't there is a bad Hemi kit out there as far as engines go.

It will be a big block.  I did a quick search for Rally Charger, but I didn't find the kit.  Is it Revell?  Or Monogram?  I did also type in RallYe, as I've seen that spelling used on their literature.  It is going to stand in for a 383ci.  I have a resin air cleaner for it, and I just want to change it up.  The Hemi was never an option in the 1971 Satellite, at least according to literature.

That kit is "sort of" a Satellite. I have been operating under the theory that Monogram studied a Road Runner, and then released it as a Satellite, as the Road Runner licensing might have been prohibitive.

The 4 bbl intake manifold and Thermoquad carb (in 1/24) were unique to that kit. The air cleaner supplied is aftermarket style. The hood included is a Road Runner base hood.

That kit gives you a good start on a Road Runner (which you could build with a 340, 383, 440+6 or Hemi). The body doesn't have rocker trim, unlike the GTX kit.  

The easiest thing would be to build it as a Road Runner by swapping in an appropriate engine. Building a true Satellite would be a little trickier.   

If you want to build a Satellite (non-Road Runner or GTX), then you would need a Satellite hood. I think Hart's Parts does that hood, other casters do. The intake and carb might be available from other sources. Using that intake and carb (and maybe an air cleaner from the AMT /71 Charger), you could build a 383 powered Satellite. Nothing bigger than the 383 was available in a non-Road Runner or GTX. The kit otherwise builds up roughly as a Satellite Sebring Plus. You would still have to add plain / flat rocker trim (and a vinyl top, as I think the vast majority of Plusses came with one) to build it as a Plus.   

You could also take the engine from the Monogram 1/24 Dodge Ramcharger, as that is a nice representation of a 318, it even has the air cleaner you need. You'd probably have to cut the engine & trans free, and use the automatic trans from the big block in the Satellite kit, unless you want to just swap a tailshaft for the trans and build an oddball 318/ 3 speed. I have seen builders use the Air Conditioning parts from the 1/25 AMT '71 Duster & Charger kits to good effect on these kits. 

15 minutes ago, fomocomav said:

It will be a big block.  I did a quick search for Rally Charger, but I didn't find the kit.  Is it Revell?  Or Monogram?  I did also type in RallYe, as I've seen that spelling used on their literature.  It is going to stand in for a 383ci.  I have a resin air cleaner for it, and I just want to change it up.  The Hemi was never an option in the 1971 Satellite, at least according to literature.

I think he's referring to the AMT '71 Charger R/T kit. It does have an EXCELLENT 440 4 bbl engine, but it's 1/25 scale, while the Satellite is 1/24. You might be able to get away with mixing scales and using that engine, but please see my notes above about the Satellite kit.

For a stock Satellite- you're limited to a 318 or 383 - the kit comes with a 383/440 (virtually indistinguishable in scale), and with the kit manifold, carb, a better air cleaner (likely from the '71 Charger kit), and stock Satellite hood, you could do it. You could also swap engines with the Ramcharger kit and do it as a 318 car. Either way, you'd still need a Satellite hood (in resin).   

1 hour ago, MeatMan said:

Wow, and all these years I thought three deuces and six pack were the same! You Mopar guys gotta ease up. Three deuces = 3 x 2. Six pack = 3 x 2! I don't see the issue.

I guess if you want to get pedantic, Dodges were "Six-Pack" and Plymouths were "Six-Barrel", at least according to their marketing guys. It's still three two barrel carburetors.

9 hours ago, fomocomav said:

I don't know if they are included in other kits as well? 

They were only included in the 1/24 '71 Satellite kit.

Let me do some looking, F-J. I may still have some modified resin versions of both around here.

Thanks for all the great information!  I'd like to use the Monogram motor, because like CapSat 6 said, it is usable as either a 440 or 383.  But it is good to know that I can use a Ramcharger motor with the transmissions swapped, too, in case I can't find the parts I need.  And I DO  have a Hart's Parts resin hood coming.

Casey, if you even only have the intake, I could just "fake" a carb, since the air cleaner will mostly cover it up, anyway.  And I was afraid you would say that about it being included in only this kit.  Just my luck!

50 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

That kit is "sort of" a Satellite. I have been operating under the theory that Monogram studied a Road Runner, and then released it as a Satellite, as the Road Runner licensing might have been prohibitive.

The 4 bbl intake manifold and Thermoquad carb (in 1/24) were unique to that kit. The air cleaner supplied is aftermarket style. The hood included is a Road Runner base hood.

That kit gives you a good start on a Road Runner (which you could build with a 340, 383, 440+6 or Hemi). The body doesn't have rocker trim, unlike the GTX kit.  

The easiest thing would be to build it as a Road Runner by swapping in an appropriate engine. Building a true Satellite would be a little trickier.   

If you want to build a Satellite (non-Road Runner or GTX), then you would need a Satellite hood. I think Hart's Parts does that hood, other casters do. The intake and carb might be available from other sources. Using that intake and carb (and maybe an air cleaner from the AMT /71 Charger), you could build a 383 powered Satellite. Nothing bigger than the 383 was available in a non-Road Runner or GTX. The kit otherwise builds up roughly as a Satellite Sebring Plus. You would still have to add plain / flat rocker trim (and a vinyl top, as I think the vast majority of Plusses came with one) to build it as a Plus.   

You could also take the engine from the Monogram 1/24 Dodge Ramcharger, as that is a nice representation of a 318, it even has the air cleaner you need. You'd probably have to cut the engine & trans free, and use the automatic trans from the big block in the Satellite kit, unless you want to just swap a tailshaft for the trans and build an oddball 318/ 3 speed. I have seen builders use the Air Conditioning parts from the 1/25 AMT '71 Duster & Charger kits to good effect on these kits. 

I'm just going for a base Satellite with upgraded seats.  The Sebring and Sebring Plus had scripts, but no one does those as decals or PE.  I do not have the ability to freehand them or make decals.  The Hart's Parts hood will be arriving soon, and then I will have the exterior parts all gathered.  I knew the kit air cleaner was not stock.  I actually knew that the first time I saw the kit when I was a kid, and had no experience.  It just didn't look right.  I have a resin copy of the '71 440 air cleaner that I can just cut a snorkel off of to get a stock one, and hopefully it won't look too small.

As to building the Road Runner instead, I have just always wanted a Satellite.  Maybe a future build?

9 minutes ago, fomocomav said:

I'm just going for a base Satellite with upgraded seats.  The Sebring and Sebring Plus had scripts, but no one does those as decals or PE.  I do not have the ability to freehand them or make decals.  The Hart's Parts hood will be arriving soon, and then I will have the exterior parts all gathered.  I knew the kit air cleaner was not stock.  I actually knew that the first time I saw the kit when I was a kid, and had no experience.  It just didn't look right.  I have a resin copy of the '71 440 air cleaner that I can just cut a snorkel off of to get a stock one, and hopefully it won't look too small.

As to building the Road Runner instead, I have just always wanted a Satellite.  Maybe a future build?

It sounds like you really researched this one already, and you're on the way to a great build!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have owned two of these cars and really appreciate them!   

4 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

It sounds like you really researched this one already, and you're on the way to a great build!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have owned two of these cars and really appreciate them!   

Sometimes, I think the research part is the best part!  Until I pick a project that has conflicting or sparse information presented.  Which is often.  Thanks for the help and encouragement!

29 minutes ago, fomocomav said:

Sometimes, I think the research part is the best part!  Until I pick a project that has conflicting or sparse information presented.  Which is often.  Thanks for the help and encouragement!

You're quite welcome. Please post pics of it when you can!

Is the set up from Fireball Modelworks close enough? I have the FMR-095-25 setting on one of those kit engines from the AMT '71 PLYMOUTH GTX an the 1/25 intake fits good.

14 minutes ago, ScottH454 said:

Is the set up from Fireball Modelworks close enough? I have the FMR-095-25 setting on one of those kit engines from the AMT '71 PLYMOUTH GTX an the 1/25 intake fits good.

No, it won't.  I don't need a 6 bbl/six pack/3 deuces setup, I need a single carb setup.  The 1971 Satellite didn't have one of those multi-carb setups.  I WILL be investigating those sets further for other builds, however.  Thanks for putting me on to them!

Let me check my stash in case I might have an extra set. It might take a few days...

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Sorry, I can't help you, F-J. 

Thanks for looking, Casey!

10 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Let me check my stash in case I might have an extra set. It might take a few days...

No hurry.  I appreciate you looking!