Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Plymouth

Wasn't there some JoHan  repops from Okey Spaulding floating around in  the late 90s/early 2000s? I seem to remember a Plymouth, pretty sure it was a 55, but it may have been a 4-door. I got one of his 55 Pontiacs about the same time.

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Wasn't there some JoHan  repops from Okey Spaulding floating around in  the late 90s/early 2000s? I seem to remember a Plymouth, pretty sure it was a 55, but it may have been a 4-door. I got one of his 55 Pontiacs about the same time.

That would have been a '56 Plymouth.

I don't believe that the '55 Plymouth 4 door sedan promo was ever re-popped.

Steve

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:28 AM, MrObsessive said:

Hmmm...........I'd kinda like a resin of a '55 Plymouth Savoy 2 door. That was the car I had my first ride in when I was brought home from the hospital once upon a time. ;)

See the source image

Bill,

You can get the Banthrico slush metal '55 Savoy on ebay for around $100.  It will be unfinished.  The one above has been dolled up with whitewalls.  I have one and it has good detail even though there is no interior or opening hood.

dec34ed8d03d23b8340691cd25930c10.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Jim!

That looks a lot like my Dad's car but IIRC, I think his might have been a hardtop. I once had pics of it, but they got lost over the years. Either which way, I'd like to find one of those as that is literally the first car I can remember seeing when I first knew what a car was, among other Finned Freeway Flyers. :D

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Bill,

I forgot to mention that the chassis has no detail.  I believe the tires are metal with straight axles like the old AMT kits.   It's still a cool car to build!

Oh, that's OK! This is one I'd simply like to have as part of a collection. One project I've had in mind but I don't know if I'd ever get around to it is to make models of cars my Dad owned during the '60's. That '55 would have been the first of them, followed by a '57 Plymouth Belvedere, '60 Valiant and then at the end of the decade Dad had a '65 Dodge Dart GT convertible with the 273 and three on the column. I'd LOVE to do a model of that one especially! ;)

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

That '55 would have been the first of them, 

My grandfather had a '55 sedan, and my father used to borrow it.  It was traded in on a '63 BelAir.

image.png.74ab90ca38480fff9ff58300e1311fae.png

Jo-Han did do this promo back in 1955. Three of them available in the 'bay (in promo category) from $100-175 right now.  I did a quick search of all my historic resin casters brochures and haven't found one.  

You can set up that search where it will send you updates as they occur. Within time cheaper ones, or ones with repairable defects should show up.

Edited by Tom Geiger

If you're not picky about number of doors or model designations and trim a '55 Plymouth could be made from a '56 Jo-Han/X-El promo re-issue by grinding off the fins and making new taillights and a grille center, since everything else is basically the same. You could source those parts from a beat up '55 promo.  

Edited by jokar124

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I did a quick search of all my historic resin casters brochures and haven't found one. 

R&R Resins did cast a convertible years ago, but I'm sure that they are pretty much extinct today.

Fantastic looking car!

I would love to see a new kit of this car someday, but short of someone doing a 3-D printed version, I know that the possibility is virtually zero.

image.png.4e866ec933181f62bf562e916f67bf5c.pngimage.png.f8d91cec2b5d1a64e9b8bb4a15dbee90.png

Steve

"I don't believe that the '55 Plymouth 4 door sedan promo was ever re-popped."

Steven: That is correct.  I find it interesting that the '55 DeSoto and Plymouth promos have minimal to no warp, while the original '56 versions warped quite a bit.

"One project I've had in mind but I don't know if I'd ever get around to it is to make models of cars my Dad owned during the '60's. That '55 would have been the first of them, followed by a '57 Plymouth Belvedere, '60 Valiant and then at the end of the decade Dad had a '65 Dodge Dart GT convertible with the 273 and three on the column. I'd LOVE to do a model of that one especially!" 

Bill: I'd like to do all of my folks' cars, but the only ones that were made are the '57 Bel Air and '73 Caprice, so I'm mostly out of luck.  I did a '68 442 in the same color combo of our '68 Vista Cruiser.  For my own cars, I can do the '87 El Camino out of '82 and '86 El Camino kits, as well as the '68 and '71 Eldorados, and '91 Beretta.    

would love to see a new kit of this car someday, but short of someone doing a 3-D printed version, I know that the possibility is virtually zero.

Would you believe 100% possibility? Sometime next year. I have started the cad file. I have a promo of the car, a 56 4 view blue print and a 3d scanner which give me a good form of reference. I'm currently involved in completing a 35 LaSalle convertible rumble seat coupe and a coupe. There are 140+ 3d printed parts to the LaSalle. I'm 70% done and am shooting for the end of year completion. Next, I'm going to go to the mid to late 50's Chrysler products. All projects will have a complete and accurate body, frame, engine and interior. I also have completed the Dodge 241 engine that only needs the poly heads created for the 55 Plymouth. That's the Dodge engine in my avatar.

Edited by my66s55

On 11/4/2019 at 10:40 AM, my66s55 said:

would love to see a new kit of this car someday, but short of someone doing a 3-D printed version, I know that the possibility is virtually zero.

Would you believe 100% possibility? Sometime next year. I have started the cad file. I have a promo of the car, a 56 4 view blue print and a 3d scanner which give me a good form of reference. I'm currently involved in completing a 35 LaSalle convertible rumble seat coupe and a coupe. There are 140+ 3d printed parts to the LaSalle. I'm 70% done and am shooting for the end of year completion. Next, I'm going to go to the mid to late 50's Chrysler products. All projects will have a complete and accurate body, frame, engine and interior. I also have completed the Dodge 241 engine that only needs the poly heads created for the 55 Plymouth. That's the Dodge engine in my avatar.

Keep us posted Doug!

There are quite a few of us that would pay a premium for a model like this!

The '55 is one of my favorite Plymouths and I would love to build a nicely detailed example of one.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...