Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1968 Mustang GT500

lawes87

HI All

this is my recently completed GT500,

this isnt AMTs best kit to build but is an old kit re-release, I have only used a third of the box anyway and used alot of after market/ 3dPrinted parts and scratch building to make this one more interesting.

please follow my instagram where i post all my builds instagram.com/lawesscaleauto

really happy how this one came out :)

xVtY6UX.jpg

QxgrW3C.jpg

mtAudAJ.jpg

vt8LsGG.jpg

Yes this kit is still around since AMT never bothered to convert the 67 GT350 to a 67 or 68 GT500 for some strange reason.  I guess someone would ask them if people still buy this 50 year old kit why make a new one.  Anyway, you did some great mods, especially the exhaust system and door handles.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see under the hood.  When I've built this kit I always end up bending the front bumper ends down as they seem to want curl up.  Very nice work indeed.  I also like that you cut the stripe at the doors versus one continuous decal.

Edited by vamach1

12 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Yes this kit is still around since AMT never bothered to convert the 67 GT350 to a 67 or 68 GT500 for some strange reason.  I gues someone would ask them if people still buy this 50 year old kit why make a new one.  Anyway, you did some great mods, especially the exhaust system and door handles.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see under the hood.  When I've built this kit I always end up bending the front bumper ends down as they seem to want curl up.  Very nice work indeed.  I also like that you cut the stripe at the doors versus one continuous decal.

thank you for your comment, I may post an underhood one.. its ok but the options were limited but there was some modifications there to.

Glad you notifced the cut detail its a small decal, simple to do but obviously adds a huge realism to the build (really thick decals to which wernt great). this was my first mustang having mainly ever build modern cars but wanted something could experiment with and learn different techniques lucky to have a few elenors I plan to build in future as well as dome different year mustangs

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

One of the nicer '68's I've seen! ?

Were the wheels from the kit? That was one thing I never liked about that. Those look very nice and look a lot like Plamoz's resin cast ones.

they are the Plamozz ones but I changed the centre cap to a washer instead of the resin

2 hours ago, lawes87 said:

they are the Plamozz ones but I changed the centre cap to a washer instead of the resin

Oh OK! Those wheels couldn't be beat for accuracy and it's a shame they discontinued them so soon. I was fortunate that I get a set when I did for my Green Hornet and I hear that Plamoz is trying to get the wheels back on sale before the end of the year.

I hope so, as I'd like to grab another set for another future Shelby project.